Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dynamic Engine Mounts retrofit cost

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andrew, I have Wevo's also, but believe me, those Dynamic engine mounts are MUCH !! better. When going into a turn, it will actually harden one side (outside) and leave the other side soft (inside). So the car has a whole lot more grip then our "just harder" Wevo's. Also, under braking in bumpy areas, the Dynamic's will actually go to soft to promote better grip/braking. With the Dynamics you have the best of both worlds, hard when needed and soft when needed.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:15 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Reviving an old thread, looking at .2 GT3's, many early examples don't have DEM. this is a must for me, any update on if it is possible to retrofit? There are lots of great used GT3's where that's all that's missing...
Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 368 Posts

I can tell you what happened with me.

I looked for months and finally settled on a car that did not have them with the full intent of retrofitting. I confirmed with the dealer before the purchase that my car was prewired with the DEM pigtails. This is key if you are planning a retrofit. I contacted Suncoast Porsche in FL and confirmed they had done a few retrofit jobs. The install of the parts is very easy. The hard part is coding the DME to recognize and take advantage of the DEM's. I then contacted two of the big CA Porsche tuners about doing the job. Both recommended AGAINST doing the retrofit, saying that the DEM was not a must have from a performance perspective and said there were many other ways to improve the handling of the car that were cheaper and more effective. Both recommended semi-solid mounts instead. I found this odd given they would both have made a lot more money doing the retrofit. In the end, I have a car without them and am completely happy.

While I can respect if they are an important feature to you, I have posted here and other places, that I challenge anyone to quantify that they actually improve lap times. So far, no one has offered any substantive proof. Best of luck in your search.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:21 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I can tell you what happened with me.

I looked for months and finally settled on a car that did not have them with the full intent of retrofitting. I confirmed with the dealer before the purchase that my car was prewired with the DEM pigtails. This is key if you are planning a retrofit. I contacted Suncoast Porsche in FL and confirmed they had done a few retrofit jobs. The install of the parts is very easy. The hard part is coding the DME to recognize and take advantage of the DEM's. I then contacted two of the big CA Porsche tuners about doing the job. Both recommended AGAINST doing the retrofit, saying that the DEM was not a must have from a performance perspective and said there were many other ways to improve the handling of the car that were cheaper and more effective. Both recommended semi-solid mounts instead. I found this odd given they would both have made a lot more money doing the retrofit. In the end, I have a car without them and am completely happy.

While I can respect if they are an important feature to you, I have posted here and other places, that I challenge anyone to quantify that they actually improve lap times. So far, no one has offered any substantive proof. Best of luck in your search.
Well, I can't argue the merits of either, just curious on the possibility to retrofit. I'm sure that like all things regarding track and street performance there are better ways to make your car perform on the track than using OEM components.

I would like to start with the best OEM components though. You say Suncoast has done some, so at least it can be done. Sounds like from this thread it's not possible on everyone or is it?
Old 01-27-2012, 02:22 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 368 Posts

Suncoast Motorsports would be a good place to start. They were very helpful when I called to inquire about the process.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:45 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Or you guys could just put in the Wevo mounts like I did and achieve the same results for probably 10% of the retrofit price
+1, i had issues with going into 3rd gear from second while going uphill under 100% throttle, wevo mounts fixed that. but if one has money to get dynamic mounts - why not, if it is doable.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik
Andrew, I have Wevo's also, but believe me, those Dynamic engine mounts are MUCH !! better. When going into a turn, it will actually harden one side (outside) and leave the other side soft (inside). So the car has a whole lot more grip then our "just harder" Wevo's. Also, under braking in bumpy areas, the Dynamic's will actually go to soft to promote better grip/braking. With the Dynamics you have the best of both worlds, hard when needed and soft when needed.
I didn't realize how much more of a cheater advantage they offer. Ugggg. One more reason to buy a new car.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:31 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

I didn't realize how much more of a cheater advantage they offer. Ugggg. One more reason to buy a new car.
somebody on renntrack just got '05 997 cup for $85K. it is just a matter of desire and budget.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Well, I can't argue the merits of either, just curious on the possibility to retrofit. I'm sure that like all things regarding track and street performance there are better ways to make your car perform on the track than using OEM components.

I would like to start with the best OEM components though. You say Suncoast has done some, so at least it can be done. Sounds like from this thread it's not possible on everyone or is it?
if the cars wiring harness has the PDEM included then you can retrofit by installing the mounts and re-programming the DME to activate the option...

if the wiring harness is not prepared for PDEM all bets are (at least economically) off IMO
Old 01-27-2012, 01:20 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
somebody on renntrack just got '05 997 cup for $85K. it is just a matter of desire and budget.
That's just the down payment on a cup
Old 01-28-2012, 12:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

The inevitable RS is just staring you in the face, isn't it?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:37 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for further clarifying. Seems most GT3's with DEM start at a $5K higher asking price than those without. Not sure if that's a real reflection on demand for DEM or just my bias coming through. Seems though from this thread $5K should cover retrofit if the wiring is there.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:17 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The inevitable RS is just staring you in the face, isn't it?
You have no idea... I have the urge to get a new car in the worst way. My gut is telling me to wait on the 991 though.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:00 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 991 will probably be worth the wait; but it will come at an increase in cost with certainty.
Fun to shop, harder to decide.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:56 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

You have no idea... I have the urge to get a new car in the worst way. My gut is telling me to wait on the 991 though.
If there are no other priorities and there is free cash to burn - why not to upgrade?
Just remember - no matter what you buy there is always a faster car on the market.

Quick Reply: Dynamic Engine Mounts retrofit cost