Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

To (pcc)B or not to (pcc)B? That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:17 AM
YearOne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche should offer, like Ferrari, the choice of caliper colours. Having a grey/red car with yellow calipers is just wrong. I want PCCBs with red calipers.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:43 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After all the off the record talks I've had with PCCB owners - even 997 - NFW would I buy a car with them.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:17 PM
flash1034
Pro

I think the gray/red with red wheels and yellow calipers looks good. I like the looks of the red calipers better but yellow is fine.

Flash
Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
After all the off the record talks I've had with PCCB owners - even 997 - NFW would I buy a car with them.
Of course not, it is against your business interests.

The PCCBs are great, they may not suit you or your purposes, but for the great majority of applications they work wonders.

Smart people know that nobody races "on the edge" for free.

Given the choice, I think they are worth the premium, in all applications; and they are even "cheaper" when you have to consider aftermarket upgrades!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:40 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the front rotors once in 60,000 miles. original rears are still on the car somewhere in California.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worth doing a search on the topic..one of the more hoary chestnuts on this board.

You will find diehards in both directions....regardless of the cost.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:21 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Worth doing a search on the topic..one of the more hoary chestnuts on this board.

You will find diehards in both directions....regardless of the cost.
I have a lot of buying/selling experience, research, track observations and experience to support the opinion which works for me.

I prefer to buy/sell and drive a car with ceramics, it adds up to the the "lowest total cost of ownership" for me, (and I don't have to worry about upgrades and potential warranty hassles if the after market provider is not matching the manufacturer warranty).

In my book, warranty/liability is the hairy chestnut.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:41 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,958 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
I have a lot of buying/selling experience, research, track observations and experience to support the opinion which works for me.

I prefer to buy/sell and drive a car with ceramics, it adds up to the the "lowest total cost of ownership" for me, (and I don't have to worry about upgrades and potential warranty hassles if the after market provider is not matching the manufacturer warranty).

In my book, warranty/liability is the hairy chestnut.
having driven a GT3 with irons and an RS with pccbs- both on the track and long distances...I'll say that I'm ordering them again.

I agree that the warranty stuff is really more of a concern- will your dealer be a pal if something happens through normal DE type settings? that's the question to get answered and written out before buying a pcar these days.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:04 AM
MarekN
Racer

Are PCCB brakes a better braking system than factory irons? Yes, from my own experience.

When used intelligently, do they outlast factory irons? Yes, by a big big margin.

Factor in the lighter weight and there is nothing left to discuss.

Also, I think most of us here believe that a modern GT3 is somehow more complete with PCCB than without them...
Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Technically speaking, does anybody know if the latest design (Aluminum hubs) is improved beyond lower weight? I read somewhere that the allignment with the pads is improved. Is the carbon / ceramics mix the same? Should they last longer than gen II?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
I'd be interested to learn of 997 PCCB failures (manufacturer or otherwise) in Carreras or GT cars. Keep it all anon as need be, but a description of the problem would be useful.

At present, I intend to go with PCCBs again, but not if there's a problem since I expect the replacement to the Cab to have PCCBs and it will be doing ample road miles. I keep saying my next GT3 will be a keeper, but maybe it will be true this next time if the 997.2 RS is as good as I expect it will turn out.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Rich.
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This is my .02.

The new Factory steel brakes are MUCH lighter than the previous gen steel brakes. This makes the advantages of going with the Ceramics much less attractive. I was hoping that Porsche would have lowered the price of the PCCBs to offset the lower benefit. I dont know if this makes sense but they are still an upgrade to the steel brakes, but not as significant as the previous gen brakes. g/l with your decision.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:19 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Riddle me this...

Originally Posted by Rich.
This is my .02.

The new Factory steel brakes are MUCH lighter than the previous gen steel brakes. This makes the advantages of going with the Ceramics much less attractive. I was hoping that Porsche would have lowered the price of the PCCBs to offset the lower benefit. I dont know if this makes sense but they are still an upgrade to the steel brakes, but not as significant as the previous gen brakes. g/l with your decision.
If :

* The 997.2 red brakes are 2.4 kg lighter than the 997.1 red brakes despite being uprated. The was mainly down to the aluminium centre hubs.

* The 997.2 yellow brakes are 4.8kg lighter than the 997.1 yellow brakes despite being uprated. The was also mainly down to the aluminium centre hubs.

Source: https://rennlist.com/forums/6675622-post27.html

Original thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...uninger-2.html

And if the previous PCCBs were about 10.4 lbs lighter per cornner than the previous steels. How much lighter are the new PCCB's Vs the new Steels now?

What most people fail to have noticed, is that the new PCCBs lost twice the weight, the new Steels lost.
(997.1 PCCBs Vs 997.2 PCCBs/ 997.1 Steels Vs 997.2 Steels) If that info above is correct.

Last edited by GT3; 09-11-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:00 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

This makes semse. If we assume that the hubs on both type of brakes lost the same amount of weight (probably 4.8 Kg), the iron brakes must have gained some back as their diameter increased to 15", where the ceramics are the same size as before (15").
Old 09-12-2009, 01:50 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had two 911s with Iron rotors and two with PCCBs(both GT3s). The turn in quickness was noticeable on the GT3s over the 993 TT (Iron) but this new 911 with Irons is great. If its a financial concern dont get them and dont worry. There are stoptech brake track setups that are probably cheaper and lighter than PCCBs Sharkwerks and GMG both sell them and I am sure other shops sells replacements. If your streeting only then PCCBs are very nice. tracking heavily then they are just another wear item and you will consume them. THe grey area is in the 5 track days a year guy.
Pogue remind me not to play poker against you!!!LOL
BOB at Bobs Brake shop- no way would I buy PCCBS!

Quick Reply: To (pcc)B or not to (pcc)B? That is the question.