Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Titanium Tips from Tubi: Just how decadent do you want to get:)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Red face Titanium Tips from Tubi: Just how decadent do you want to get:)?

Over the past couple of years, some of you (and it's a small crazy group granted) have asked me for some sort of Titanium tip replacement for our beloved GT3/RS. Well I had sort of put that in the, "One day in the very distant future basket" I'm afraid. We just don't have the level of Ti capability/reliability required in these parts (Japan is where the best level is FYI). Fast fwd a bit and having worked with Tubi/Champion during this year's Concorso the owner of Tubi had mentioned that they had actually made a set of "ferrrry expensive" (in my Italiano accent) tips. Sure enough they showed up today so I took a few pictures and installed them on the 2010 GT3.

Tubi vs Factory
The stock ones are 81mm vs the Tubi which are 90mm.

I repeat these are NOT cheap and it's a good thing that Tubi is the one paying for the tooling required to make the brackets, the tubes themselves and the "rolled" edges.

We weighed them and compared them to the stock units. The Ti tips are .8 pounds! You really need to be careful not to sneeze since they'll likely blow over

By comparison the factory ones are 2.92pounds.

Stock ones installed:

Tubi Ti Tips installed:

These will fit any 997GT3 (with our without our bypass incidentally). If you dare () the price is listed on our product page. Either way their pretty spiffy indeed!

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=246
Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy crap! $1350 for exhaust tips?!?!?!

How/why does the stock one weigh almost 3 pounds?

Will the exhaust work if I just unbolt the stock unit? Then I save the weight of the bolts, too.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

They certainly look trick but for that price you might as well step up and get the full package:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwgM7aRFiEI
Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 PM
cr207
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

they probably add 10 hp, and that is why they are so expensive.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:16 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Holy crap! $1350 for exhaust tips?!?!?!

How/why does the stock one weigh almost 3 pounds?

Will the exhaust work if I just unbolt the stock unit? Then I save the weight of the bolts, too.
LOL I know... not cheap but Ti never is Figured I'd at least try them and see how it goes:P The stock ones are 3 pounds and indeed some of the larger tips I've seen that replace them a tad heavier too... Keep your tips on:P

Originally Posted by Nizer
They certainly look trick but for that price you might as well step up and get the full package:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwgM7aRFiEI
Hi Nizer... I agree not cheap. I know the Akrapovic is probably nice but for over 12K!

Originally Posted by cr207
they probably add 10 hp, and that is why they are so expensive.
LOL we all wish that one....
Old 08-31-2009, 10:34 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

They need to be straight cut to be of any interest....

Rolled just doesn't cut it.....
Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Are the tips a stressed piece?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

meh.....
Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GJ
They need to be straight cut to be of any interest....

Rolled just doesn't cut it.....
Heh.. I hear you and I'm more in that camp myself (so the ones we did were just like that) but then again there were a lot of folks that wanted it rolled like factory

Are the tips a stressed piece?
No... but a heavier tip on a hot area such as a factory center piece has been known to crack/stress the center section before (I remember Fred's doing that).

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
meh.....
BTW speaking of light weight parts... did you get your axles:P
Old 09-01-2009, 12:57 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sharkster
No... but a heavier tip on a hot area such as a factory center piece has been known to crack/stress the center section before (I remember Fred's doing that).
I wasn't thinking of making them heavier. Why not just make them out of aluminum? Cheap, easy to work with, anodize to color, and lighter still.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll take a Euro 997.2 RS rear bumper cover (I'd take the 997.1 RS by preference, but I have the 997.2 Carrera wide body, so the lights won't work, etc.) plus mandrel bent rear-muff delete pipes to convert to center exit (a la GT3) and a set of those shiny tips (with a freaking security padlock!) ... (please)
Old 09-01-2009, 01:40 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I wasn't thinking of making them heavier. Why not just make them out of aluminum? Cheap, easy to work with, anodize to color, and lighter still.
Oh I see... Well we do/did make some stainless light weight ones such as these (for a LOT less):
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=173

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I'll take a Euro 997.2 RS rear bumper cover (I'd take the 997.1 RS by preference, but I have the 997.2 Carrera wide body, so the lights won't work, etc.) plus mandrel bent rear-muff delete pipes to convert to center exit (a la GT3) and a set of those shiny tips (with a freaking security padlock!) ... (please)
I wish we could make them like that:P And yes a pad-lock is required hehe....

Did you hit Santana Row? I thought I saw a black GT3 when I was leaving but...
Old 09-01-2009, 01:56 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Heh.. I hear you and I'm more in that camp myself (so the ones we did were just like that) but then again there were a lot of folks that wanted it rolled like factory

BTW speaking of light weight parts... did you get your axles:P

my axles arrived in california, so they are going to foward them to newfoundland. im going to keep them as spares, but install them for another tarmac rally before May 2010. Thanks again for the help. im glad to have them for the stress of rallying.

the Sharkwerks exhaust on the car along with your large tips is absolutly amazing! The car is still ultra quiet, but with sport mode in high rpm it is like being a kid in a candy store! In the tunnels of colorado to the overpasses in Chicago i was on full sport, high rpm! I had tonnes of people pull along side me with camera phones everywhere i went! if i only had little factory exhaust tips it wouldnt have been as cool for the photos
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2009, 01:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

ruby studded screws/bolts.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:01 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
my axles arrived in california, so they are going to foward them to newfoundland. im going to keep them as spares, but install them for another tarmac rally before May 2010. Thanks again for the help. im glad to have them for the stress of rallying.

the Sharkwerks exhaust on the car along with your large tips is absolutly amazing! The car is still ultra quiet, but with sport mode in high rpm it is like being a kid in a candy store! In the tunnels of colorado to the overpasses in Chicago i was on full sport, high rpm! I had tonnes of people pull along side me with camera phones everywhere i went! if i only had little factory exhaust tips it wouldnt have been as cool for the photos
Glad to hear it and sorry they took a while! FYI those axles have been used on cars with around 1000HP for drag racing and 1/4 shenanigans and never failed so it should be a breeze hehe....

Really glad you like the exhaust and the tips We really tried to make it so that you can chill out with the sport button off and take care of phone and/or wife duties:P There's no sound deadening in the car so you really don't want resonance lol.... And yup, switch the valves to open and I'm with you on the tunnels

Originally Posted by mooty
ruby studded screws/bolts.
ROFL!

When you coming by....

Quick Reply: Titanium Tips from Tubi: Just how decadent do you want to get:)?