Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Does toe out in the front make our GT3 track right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:11 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Interesting; I run the stock 305 rear width with a 255 front (Toyo R888's) on 18's; I can't even imagine running 235's on the front anymore. I have my rear sway bar at either full stiff (or should I say stiff since it only has 3 total settings) with the front at neutral or one towards stiff depending on the difference in heat cycles between the front and rear tires (usually not the same since I can almost run 1 set of fronts to 2 sets of rears). However, I now have the GMG WC sway bars and started with both at neutral positions and quickly found that I needed to soften the front one notch. Of course alignment specs, tire pressures, and track layouts (among other criteria) also need to be considered to get the full picture.

But overall, the stock GT3 with factory settings is way to pushy for me.
I run 265 sport cups on the front, stock sway set full soft and GT2 sway set full stiff in the rear. Very easy to drive with the "race circuit" camber out of the book, zero toe front.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:16 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
right now my caster is at stock setting of 8.3 ..... I don't think it will change how the car track on the road

Mike
No need to change caster, but it should be equal left and right. With zero toe, the car will tend to "tram track" (or follow every change in the road surface) but if there's unusual steering change when going from braking, to coasting to accelerating, chances are there's a rear toe issue. The eccentric toe adjusters are easily damaged. If you track frequently and want to have the car dialed in, going to threaded rear toe/track control arms is the solution.

Don't ignore tire wear and pressures -- just 2 psi high on one side and 2 psi low on the other side is enough to make the car behave poorly at speed on a track where it might go unnoticed on the street.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:30 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I run 265 sport cups on the front, stock sway set full soft and GT2 sway set full stiff in the rear. Very easy to drive with the "race circuit" camber out of the book, zero toe front.
Yes, that sounds much better! Glad I'm not the only one. My GMG bars are stiffer than stock overall, but should allow for something similar to what you have. They made the rear one stiffer than the front, so similar to you running the GT2 bar in the rear.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:07 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OP is talking about regular street driving. With perfect street-spec alignment it is common for the car to pull slightly towards the side of the road as the road is cambered for water runoff. As you increase front toe-out, this effect will be amplified - with more toe the car will follow road camber more keenly.

Slightly re-adjusting caster on one side is a good way to mitigate the effect of road camber. I'm talking street use, not track.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Your truck probably has positive camber. : )
i thought so at first.
then i made a 70mph turn on the cloverleaf on my way to LS (without the TPD), the damn 7000lbs beast can be throttle steered and coaxed to make that turn with lots of squeal....
Old 08-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
The OP is talking about regular street driving. With perfect street-spec alignment it is common for the car to pull slightly towards the side of the road as the road is cambered for water runoff. As you increase front toe-out, this effect will be amplified - with more toe the car will follow road camber more keenly.

Slightly re-adjusting caster on one side is a good way to mitigate the effect of road camber. I'm talking street use, not track.
Agreed. Toe out will cause the car to pull to the "downhill" side. That's why I hve a teeney bit of toe in, not for the track, for the three hour drive to and from that track!
Old 08-28-2009, 04:28 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No need to change caster, but it should be equal left and right. With zero toe, the car will tend to "tram track" (or follow every change in the road surface) but if there's unusual steering change when going from braking, to coasting to accelerating, chances are there's a rear toe issue. The eccentric toe adjusters are easily damaged. If you track frequently and want to have the car dialed in, going to threaded rear toe/track control arms is the solution.

Don't ignore tire wear and pressures -- just 2 psi high on one side and 2 psi low on the other side is enough to make the car behave poorly at speed on a track where it might go unnoticed on the street.
Thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek

After changing the front toe from 0.5 mm out to 0.2 mm in the car pretty much track straight and have way less tendency to follow the road camber

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Agreed. Toe out will cause the car to pull to the "downhill" side. That's why I hve a teeney bit of toe in, not for the track, for the three hour drive to and from that track!
That was what TRG said -- Our GT3/RS will track with road camber the more you have the front toe out. Very annoying driving on regular road but a blast on the track
Old 08-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

I recall one test of the new GT3 mentioned that as part of revised geometry Porsche had changed from slight toe-in of MkI to neutral on MkII. Someone with more knowledge can probably provide exact specs.

Quick Reply: Does toe out in the front make our GT3 track right?