Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS door panel pic

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I doubt the plastic door panel/armrest itself weighs much...perhaps a few ounces more than an old RS door 'card' or aluminum panel. It's the glass, window motor, mirror motor, impact beam, and airbag inside that are heavy...and mandatory on a US-spec road car.

IIRC, the CF roof panel on the M3 saves ~12 lbs.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I doubt the plastic door panel/armrest itself weighs much...perhaps a few ounces more than an old RS door 'card' or aluminum panel. It's the glass, window motor, mirror motor, impact beam, and airbag inside that are heavy...and mandatory on a US-spec road car.

IIRC, the CF roof panel on the M3 saves ~12 lbs.
On my E46 M3 the door panels weighed 12.5 each so 25#'s for the doors and 12 #'s for the roof, I will take it. Side Air bags weighed less than a # on the M3. RS should be hard core.

Peter
Old 08-24-2009, 07:48 PM
_rocket
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the German order guide, this door panel only comes with GT2 seats, not CGT seats.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:38 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _rocket
According to the German order guide, this door panel only comes with GT2 seats, not CGT seats.

Becuase there's no airbag in the CGT lightweight buckets? Isn't that an "airbag" sign I see on the door panel?

If you ordered lightweight buckets with the 997.1 GT3 (ROW), the door pockets were replaced with extra padding. All the RSs had the padded doors.

The 996 RS has the regular 996 GT3 door but with the airbags removed. So my car has no door padding and no side airbags. But I do have some storage space in the doors.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Side intrusion doesn't kill -- it's offset frontal that needs attention.

If you want roofracks, you're not buying a GT3.
Well that's just silly. I like driving my car whenever I can, that includes cross country trips to race tracks, and mountain biking trips. Here's my friend's GT3 with roof racks, while my 911 -also with a roof rack- parked right next to it... It's also how I would transport a second set of tires/rims to the track.
Here's my friend's GT3 with roof racks, while my 911 -also with a roof rack- parked right next to it... It's also how I would transport a second set of tires/rims to the track.

As an above poster also added, I would prefer arm rests as well as in door storage. I'm all for the car being hardcore, but our definitions may differ a bit, as like I said I like to use my car(s). I don't care for front air bags, but side/side curtain bags I'm a huge fan of. From my experience, things like door pockets and airbags don't add much weight, in some cases manual windows are even heavier than power. Indeed these are street cars, some of the best street cars out there, and sure they could be lighter, but I think the compromises Porsche's made -though not perfect- are pretty darn good. Regardless though, I wouldn't be cross shopping with any other car, as I suspect many others aren't either. If you want a GT3 for it's dynamics, it's pretty much the only car that will do.

Last edited by Ahmet; 08-24-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: picture link.

Quick Reply: RS door panel pic