Lithium Ion Battery Cost ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:52 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,942 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by thwang99
Tony from Voltphreaks here. Was refered to this thread. I think eventually, most high end race applications/cars will be using a lithium battery instead of a lead-acid battery. The weight savings can be very significant! Disadvantage of course is cost, though with time that will change.

Just want to mention, that the Voltphreaks battery features a low voltage cutoff, so that you will never be left with a stranded car with a dead battery. The battery that we recommend for most Porsche's is the VPR750, which weighs 5.25 pounds, and contains the low voltage cutoff feature. Before the battery is completely drained, it will automatically disconnect itself, leaving enough power to still start the car a couple of times (in case a sensor or computer is left on, etc).

- Tony
Tony - Looks like that model costs $1,220 (less than Porsche option). How long will one last before replacement required?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:51 PM
vph_tony
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Tony - Looks like that model costs $1,220 (less than Porsche option). How long will one last before replacement required?

Thanks!
All the Voltphreaks batteries should last 5 years, possibly even 10 years. The technology hasn't been around that long though, so this is based on specifications.

- Tony
Old 08-20-2009, 11:24 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

What particular specifications?

"Specmanship" and "power" have proven to very a very unreliable combination, as many OEMs will attest to (yes I am in the high reliability Power business). It all depends upon the design parameters versus actual use.

I would take a 5 year life with a "grain of salt', until I saw the the derating guidelines, MTBF calculations and related design assumptions.

What will the warranty cover and under what conditions... that's your "life" for worst case planning.

We know what the Porsche manual says about batteries and warranties, and I assume it will apply to the Lithium ion as well. Will Voltphreaks match it word for word, assuming the prices are comparable. I think $650 is as good a guess as any for the Porsche option, but before I have to make a decision I will find out and have our "techies" evaluate to the extent possible?
Old 08-21-2009, 07:08 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
I think $650 is as good a guess as any for the Porsche option
I think you're off by a factor of 3.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:48 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
Are you suggesting around $217,...... just kidding around!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

AT $650, I'd take one. At $2K, I'm not (quite) that silly ... and if someone is arguing a 3000lb street car needs to shed 20lb for $2000, I'm thinking I'll just take out the passenger seat for track days. Four bolts, ten minutes. And makes space to drive to the track with spares and tools ... : ) Also, go and get a $100 Jet Ski battery (which I use) ... maybe 5lb heavier than the Li batteries ... never fails me. Since the bloody GT3's love to kill batteries, I have a battery saver (it's just a voltage test between the battery and the positive post which isolates the battery below 13 volts ... I think it cost $40?) There are places in a car where you have to "throw money" to get results ... the battery box is not one of those places. : )

ps. I do applaud VoltPhreaks for delivering sensational products for racers, if I ever compete, I'll put it on my budget, no question.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:50 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
AT $650, I'd take one. At $2K, I'm not (quite) that silly
PCCB is $8k to save 50 lbs. Ok, it's unsprung, but still, eight thousand dollars??

The difference is that PCCB is hot technology, whereas a battery is not. Let's face it, a lot of this stuff makes a difference when tenths of a second matter in a race, but is simply ridiculous on a road car. Then again, GT3 ownership is about the heart, not the head.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
PCCB is $8k to save 50 lbs. Ok, it's unsprung, but still, eight thousand dollars??

The difference is that PCCB is hot technology, whereas a battery is not. Let's face it, a lot of this stuff makes a difference when tenths of a second matter in a race, but is simply ridiculous on a road car. Then again, GT3 ownership is about the heart, not the head.
I think you're understating the case for PCCB -- it's a better brake rotor with better stopping and little to no fade. Brakes enable cars to go faster, longer. A battery? Not so much.

And the weight in the rotor is both unsprung and flywheel mass ... there's just no more valuable place to shave ounces, let alone pounds.

Speed costs money -- how fast do you want to go? I think $8K as an _UPGRADE_ is a nonsense price and Porsche is just making money while the sun shines. I used to think that PCCBs were too failure prone, then I thought they had "come of age" and were holding resale value, but now, I think they're just something guys that track at 8/10ths or 9/10ths will enjoy -- if I drove any harder and was risking offs (in a $132K RS?) then going into the kitty litter and finding I had two chipped rotors, well, that would sour me on the whole deal ... : )
Old 08-21-2009, 08:40 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

I think you're understating the case for PCCB -- it's a better brake rotor with better stopping and little to no fade. Brakes enable cars to go faster, longer.
It's my understanding that there is precious little difference in actual braking performance on the track between PCCB and iron. The main difference comes down to weight.

The fact that it's rotational mass is not terribly important in this case because it's quite close to its spin axis. The big advantage is that it's unsprung, allowing the suspension to work better. Thus it is my opinion that PCCB is more a street upgrade than a track one.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

It's my understanding that there is precious little difference in actual braking performance on the track between PCCB and iron. The main difference comes down to weight.

The fact that it's rotational mass is not terribly important in this case because it's quite close to its spin axis. The big advantage is that it's unsprung, allowing the suspension to work better. Thus it is my opinion that PCCB is more a street upgrade than a track one.
The next gen steels are meant to be great stoppers, the .1 steels are no match for the ceramics. I've owned and tracked a 997.1 with steels and with ceramics, but it's not just my opinion, if anything, I'd say it's a consensus.

The rotors are not close to the center of the axis, they're the same shape (and nearly the same dimensions!) as the engine flywheel.

The unsprung mass is important on the street for ride quality, but the real measure is on the track where keeping the tire on the tarmac is the name of the game.

I think it makes a lot more sense to pay $8K for confident brakes on the track than for ride quality on the street. Either way, $8K on an already expensive 911 is hard to justify, especially when the car has such phenomenal steels.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,942 Likes on 2,799 Posts

The rotors are not close to the center of the axis, they're the same shape (and nearly the same dimensions!) as the engine flywheel.
I'm not a huge PCCB proponent, but I agree that the rotating mass is a huge issue with brake rotors (especially when they are 380mm in diameter).
Old 08-21-2009, 09:15 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Do the Cup and RSR race cars wear iron or ceramics?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:10 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Do the Cup and RSR race cars wear iron or ceramics?
The only series using PCCB is "Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup"

Why are we talking brakes in a battery thread BTW??
Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
The only series using PCCB is "Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup"

Why are we talking brakes in a battery thread BTW??
I think you should email the mod to have your user nickname changed to "font of knowledge" ... but I the digression onto brakes was a "other wildly expensive parts that have intangible gains" discussion (just to beat that dead horse again...)
Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 955 Posts

Anyone know the actual weight of stock battery?

Quick Reply: Lithium Ion Battery Cost ???