Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 GT3 owners - Plans for a second set of rims?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:13 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BBTurbo
Let's see. $9600 a pair for PCCB rotors. $450-$600 a pair for PCCB pads. $8600 a set for a second set of rims. $2000 for a second set of tires. $250+ for a torque multiplier. $560+ for a wheel alignment/safety tool when changing center locks. So tracking this care extensively pretty much requires an incremental $30-$35k. Priceless.
What is a wheel alignment/safety tool??? Is that the assembly aid??
If so, very recommended for PCCB, not so for iron.

Anyone got a lathe, to make some out of aluminum bar stock?
I see a cottage industry for these

Option #2 would be change back to 5 lug hubs. Wonder what that cost would be, if at all possible.....
Old 08-04-2009, 09:25 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
What is a wheel alignment/safety tool??? Is that the assembly aid??
If so, very recommended for PCCB, not so for iron.

Anyone got a lathe, to make some out of aluminum bar stock?
I see a cottage industry for these

Option #2 would be change back to 5 lug hubs. Wonder what that cost would be, if at all possible.....

Yup, it's the assembly aid. Similar in it's function as the two rods used for wheels with lugs, but much more expensive.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by edmaz
Why wouldnt cup car center lock wheels fit??
Hmmmm..... anyone know?

So, if you get some, how are you planning on changing them??
Multiplier, LARGE Torque wrench....??
Well, for now until I get pricing on the Porsche Torque Multiplier I would use my current torque wrench and use the "emergency torque procedures" listed in the owners manual that allows you to torque the CL to 74Ft/lb, then you need to borrow a big *** mo fo bar to torque it the rest of the way using the indicator marks on the rim. The other thing to do is go to a DE event and borrow Wilson's cup car torque wrench.

For you guys using aftermarket CL rims, keep in mind you might want to mark your rims for this procedure if it is needed.

For now I am waiting to see what this Porsche Tor Mult is all about. Unfortunately I am still waiting for my GT3 to get here and probably have about a month or so for it to get here. With a little bit of luck it will be on a boat shortly! The only good thing about this is it gives me time to work out these details

Originally Posted by C4S/GT3
Avail in Germany now.
US$ price, info came from an inside source.
Inside info is always appreciated! Thanks for sharing!

Priceless.
BBTurbo has a new avatar! NICE!

I wonder if there are those out there who will choose this option and wonder what the thought process is behind it. I am guessing if you already have a bunch of 5 lug wheels you want to use this is a consideration. I have already figured buying a second set of CL wheels will be the way to go for me since I do not have any GT3 wheels. If I convert to 5 lug I must then buy 2 sets of wheels.

Wonder if any 2010 GT3 owners who convert to 5 lug will be letting their CL wheels go at a respectable price.

I also wonder what the conversion from CL to 5 lug involves ($)
Old 08-04-2009, 10:48 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would think converting to 5 lug will cost more than a set of wheels
Old 08-04-2009, 11:42 PM
raysmd
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I would think that a nice snap on (or precision instruments) 3/4 torque wrench would work better than a torque multiplier and costs less. the only downside is the size (length) of the torque wrench.

see here. PI split beam tq wrench
Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 PM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by raysmd
I would think that a nice snap on (or precision instruments) 3/4 torque wrench would work better than a torque multiplier and costs less. the only downside is the size (length) of the torque wrench.

see here. PI split beam tq wrench
I just ordered one. I'll let you know how it works when it arrives. I'll probably still get a torque multiplier when they're available, but want something in the interim. I'm also interested in a set of track wheels, but will probably wait until a lightweight aftermarket option is available (CCW, Champion, BBS or similar). It looks to me like it'll need to be 19" wheels to clear the new iron front brake set up. Very similar to the 380mm Brembo set up I had on my C2S which required 19" wheels and still trapped lots of debris between caliper and barrel on the track.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I drove 250 street miles on a fresh set of R compound tires and they still had the nibs on the tread. Why do you need two sets of wheels?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,812 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Originally Posted by NLS8520
Forgive my ignorance but what does CL stand for?
center lock
Old 08-05-2009, 02:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,812 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
I drove 250 street miles on a fresh set of R compound tires and they still had the nibs on the tread. Why do you need two sets of wheels?
oh...if you only know how many sets of wheel i bent per year. i run 4 sets of wheels on my BSR and i need more.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:23 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Hmmmm..... anyone know?

Well, for now until I get pricing on the Porsche Torque Multiplier I would use my current torque wrench and use the "emergency torque procedures" listed in the owners manual that allows you to torque the CL to 74Ft/lb, then you need to borrow a big *** mo fo bar to torque it the rest of the way using the indicator marks on the rim. The other thing to do is go to a DE event and borrow Wilson's cup car torque wrench.

For you guys using aftermarket CL rims, keep in mind you might want to mark your rims for this procedure if it is needed.

For now I am waiting to see what this Porsche Tor Mult is all about. Unfortunately I am still waiting for my GT3 to get here and probably have about a month or so for it to get here. With a little bit of luck it will be on a boat shortly! The only good thing about this is it gives me time to work out these details

Inside info is always appreciated! Thanks for sharing!

BBTurbo has a new avatar! NICE!

I wonder if there are those out there who will choose this option and wonder what the thought process is behind it. I am guessing if you already have a bunch of 5 lug wheels you want to use this is a consideration. I have already figured buying a second set of CL wheels will be the way to go for me since I do not have any GT3 wheels. If I convert to 5 lug I must then buy 2 sets of wheels.

Wonder if any 2010 GT3 owners who convert to 5 lug will be letting their CL wheels go at a respectable price.

I also wonder what the conversion from CL to 5 lug involves ($)
Does you car have two of the 5 lug guide pins?
If so, what are they for?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:33 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Does you car have two of the 5 lug guide pins?
If so, what are they for?
Name:  Disassembled.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  73.3 KB
Old 08-05-2009, 08:40 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

They don't come with the two guide pins any longer as they cant be attached due to the locator pins on the mating surface now. Instead there is a locator attachment that fits to the centrelock of the hub to guide the wheel on without hitting the disk...
Old 08-05-2009, 09:05 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Why do you need two sets of wheels?
When the day comes when the needle hits the vein you will become BBTurbo.....

Let's see. $9600 a pair for PCCB rotors. $450-$600 a pair for PCCB pads. $8600 a set for a second set of rims. $2000 for a second set of tires. $250+ for a torque multiplier. $560+ for a wheel alignment/safety tool when changing center locks. So tracking this car extensively pretty much requires an incremental $30-$35k. Priceless.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

GMG will have a set!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:26 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GMG takes delivery of one of the first 2010 997.2 GT3's in North America.

Many thanks to Pioneer Porsche in San Diego, California for acquiring the GT3 and making it available to us. Pioneer is also one of our "World Challenge" premier dealers offering the complete line of GMG WC products and we have purchased multiple Porsches from them.

GMG intends to fully exploit the performance potential of this new GT3 as well as utilizing some of the latest R&D from our racing program to develop the latest performance parts for the iconic Porsche.

GMG will be the first Tuner in North America to offer a complete tuning package for the new 2010 GT3 as we have started the process one day after picking up the car.

GMG's World Challenge signature cars are also available as complete serialized automobiles or as individual performance packages, including the new GT3.

Currently GMG has a complete performance tuning package available and will have our own signature fully forged center lock wheel scheduled to be released on 9/15/2009.

The World Challenge (WC-GT3) performance package is consists of several options:

Performance:

Level 1
GMG WC Sport Center Section
GIAC Software with stock and 91 and 100 octane programs (coming soon)
Level 2
GMG WC Complete Sport Exhaust system which includes equal length headers, 200 cell sport catalyst and muffler
Level 3
GMG WC Sport Camshafts with Titanium retainers and sport valve springs.
Custom tuned software by GIAC
Level 3+
Includes CNC ported cylinder heads
Level 4
GMG WC 4.0 liter engine complete with new pistons,rods,sport camshafts,CNC cylinder heads, complete exhaust, software tuning and lightweight flywheel and clutch.

Suspension:

GMG WC Sport Sway bar kit
GMG WC Dog Bones
GMG WC Bump and Toe steer kits
GMG Inner A Arm bearing kit

Brakes:

GMG is proud to work with Stoptech brakes and offers two packages for the new GT3.

Level 1
includes the new lightweight STR calipers with 6 piston front and 4 piston rear which save weight and improve braking performance over stock steel brakes.
Level 2
includes the new lightweight STR calipers and Stoptech's NEW Ceramic rotors which save weight over the factory PCCB brake upgrade.
All Stoptech brake systems are matched to the vehicle's master cylinder and ABS system.

Safety:

GMG offers two options for customers who want additional safety for track use. Clients can choose from the "Cup" harness bar or the "RSR" bar. Both are made to meet or exceed safety requirements of several sanctioning bodies in North America. These bars are made of Chromoly tubing that has been TIG welded and fully normalized and do not require any cutting of the vehicle for installation.

Gearbox:

GMG offers complete gearbox upgrades for track use with multiple ratio's available to the customer. We can custom match the gearbox ratio's to different tracks across the country, while also offering LSD upgrades utilizing motorsport clutch pack and revised ramp angles for improved performance from the street and track.

Body/Aerodynamics:

GMG currently offers several lightweight body configurations, from stock replacement carbon composite panels to World Challenge wide body fenders that allow for wheels that are up to 10.5" wide in the front and 12" in the rear.

Wheels:

GMG introduces its signature World Challenge wheels for the new GT3. Made to TUV specifications GMG's ultra light wheels are fully forged and made in the USA. Scalloped spoke design for optimum cooling and strength.

Wheels are fully compatible with Porsche's new "street' center lock system and are available in 19x9 front and 19x 12 rear, 19x 10.5 are available for customers who are utilizing the GMG wide front fenders.

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3 owners - Plans for a second set of rims?