Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dealership Greed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 03:30 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Even if its used its still new. what they do to get around the selling over MSRP is to sell it to one of their best customers (on paper) then buy it back. Then mark it up. technically to PCNA its used.
just a slimy way to screw us all.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:42 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The answer is simple... People need to learn to use their head more and heart less when buying a mass produced car. If they're asking over MSRP, pop your cheque book in your pocket and walk away... If suckers didn't fall for these tactics by dealers, nobody would pay over MSRP...
Old 08-02-2009, 04:10 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Is that car new or used? If it is new, report them to Porsche North America. They are violating their sales contract with Porsche by selling over and WILL lose allocations if they get reported. If it is used, ie new owner immediately turned the car for $5-10K profit; again report them to PCNA. This is a tactic dealers have used in the past to get around the MSRP limit rule. PCNA is now wise and tracking dealers who use this tactic. PCNA may or may not pull an allocation to the dealer for this type of violation.
Sonny, time to wake up................PCNA is in no position to give dealers heat right now, remember they still want to sell those stillborn Boxsters and Caymans plus the Cayennes and the PanzerAmerica, they don't give a flying F about mark up right now as long as dealers are not passing on the above allocations. That happened in the early 90's when dealers refused certain cars which in return made PCNA almost go BK while sitting on cars with windowstickers TWO years old.

Fact not fiction, lol, if you complain you might (thats a big if) get a letter that some desk jockey at PCNA will look into it and that is the last thing you gonna hear.............

For me , I sold tons of vehicles with added mark up, never made me feel bad and the higher the ADM the happier my wallet was. Now you gonna say "bad CSI" lol, there is no loyality in this business, you can sell some dude twenty cars but the moment he gets a better deal somewhere else he will be gone in sixty seconds . For the majority of times the actual customers are way more scumbags than the salesperson. Especially when it comes to the hot or hard to get rides.

The most amusing part of this game is when one has to listen to the usual whinning suspects when threads like these come around, its OK for them to make a hundred G's when they flip a house after a couple of months or unload some future worthless stocks to another idiot while making a killing .........hypocrytes, but when a dealers makes a measly 20 k its time for a public hanging.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:11 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Stupid is right. I got my new 2010 for under MSRP and it was the first car in the area. I saw it and bought it, prempting my October order, just after it was offloaded from the truck.

BTW all of the cars were not specced by the dealers. Just found out that mine was special ordered by a fellow rennlister that passed on his for a later build. My good luck.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:25 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911rox
The answer is simple... People need to learn to use their head more and heart less when buying a mass produced car. If they're asking over MSRP, pop your cheque book in your pocket and walk away... If suckers didn't fall for these tactics by dealers, nobody would pay over MSRP...

+1, put your money back in your pocket and walk away!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny how they did that with the vette to...
they tanked
did it with the RS they tanked
they are to available to pay over sticker...but then again I have not paid over sticker for any car i bought
Old 08-02-2009, 11:09 AM
TURBO BOY
4th Gear

NOW YOU KNOW HOW WE FEEL IN CANADA!
OUR MSRP IS ABOUT 25% HIGHER THAN YOURS FOR THE SAME CAR. OUR WINDOW STICKERS HAVE A -$2500 MARKET ADJUSTMENT SO WE FEEL BETTER ABOUT BEING RIPPED OFF BY PORSCHE.

BRAD
Old 08-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Sadly, Pole Position has a point. Notwithstanding, to quote myself in another thread:

"I continue to be amazed that people will pay so much money for a car that will be replaced by another one, i.e., 996 GT3 replaced by Mark II which was replaced by 997 which is replaced by 997 GT3 Mark II which will be replaced by yet another and then another. In particular, the GT3 RS, stripes and slightly wider rear fenders, which is in the process of being replaced by another one which will, itself, be replaced by another and yet another. These are marketing exercises with minor modifications and, if one charts Porsche's models over the past two decades in particular, one can predict what is next and possibly when. In general, a car is a wasting asset and needs to be treated as one except in very rare cases of truly unique and limited automobiles and then, generally only if one is willing to wait long periods of time and there are buyers that are interested and will pay a premium many years from the then present.

P.S. Under the previous regime, Porsche was becoming very much more production and standardization oriented and, while the right thing for the shareholders, has meant excellent mechanical pieces with less charm and individual character (other than a myriad of primarily interior options that make a relatively inexpensive looking interior look a bit less plastic)."
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 AM
red89
Racer

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
? If it is new, report them to Porsche North America.
What?
and lose access to Porsche's internal web site?

Jones could no longer be the big cheese.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 955 Posts

I used to get upset about dealer markups until I realized it was just Darwin at work.

Here's another one to watch out for:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=252086
Old 08-02-2009, 01:42 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have come to realize that what Robert said is true. Thats why I didnt give a rats *** about the new GT3.
Truth is since I have had 2 (TWO) GT3s, the difference between a C2S that I got to take 20% off, and even the NEW GT3 is so small that most of us, except the very best, couldnt drive the GT3 faster than the C2S (MKII) so if you lust after a GT3 and dont want to pay over or even MSRP, buy the car you can get the dealer to bend over. DONT pay for the GT3 its not worth the difference in performance. With Walter Rohl
the GT3 is seconds faster than the C2S over TWELVE miles!!! YOU will NEVER be able to do that.
Why do you guys think some of the hardest drivers I know have switched to the C2S PDK?
Guys who have had RS's CGT's, F360 Stradales, F430's and every other greatest car on the planet.
STOP the testosterone!!! Use your OTHER head!! the one on top of your shoulders!!!! THIS MARKET IS YOURS NOT THEIRS!!! Two years ago its the market was up on everything, sellers markets.
Now its The BUYERS market. if they have it marked up point it out and walk!!! As others have said
they are below MSRP everywhere. Use a tank of gas and save yourself some cash. OR get the C2S and
know you have a landmark 911.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:49 PM
nat3970
Advanced

Having recently sold my 997 GT3 I can say categorically that not only are these folks out to lunch and out of step with the market, but they are also having an impact on the Porsche brand.

When it really comes down to it I don't really blame these unscrupulous, gready SOB's. If they were not trying to make a quick ("unearned") buck selling GT3's they would be trying to sell us something else at way over market.

The real culprit here is Porsche itself. If Porsche Corporate chose to do so, they could control this kind of outrageous behavior. You can't have it both ways. You can't say in your brochures and on your website about how well your brand retains its resale value and then allow your dealers to do engage in this kind of BS behavior. Are we to believe that when Porsche calculates its wonderful retention of value on resale that they actually include the $15K highway robbery by their dealer? of course not....

As the saying goes fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I'm a big fan of the GT3 and all things being equal I'd like to own another one in the next year or two. My recent reselling experience coupled with situations like this are lowering the probability that I will actually own the brand again.

There is no free lunch in life and in business. In my view Porsche is damaging its brand by allowing this kind of nonsense to take place. The fact that it is being "attempted" in the worst market in our living memory only compounds the negative impression.

The point here is not whether this tactic will succeed or not...even in Beverly Hills the're likely not enough suckers to make this a winning strategy in this economy. The real point is that Porsche shouldn't be allowing it to happen in the first place.

This post was well entitled but I would also add: "Shame you on you Porsche!"
Old 08-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Just priced a 2S with PDK and a few options from the Porsche web site. Approximately, $100,000. From that I would deduct at least a 10% discount (would not buy it for more), i.e., a net price of $90,000 for an excellent car. And, if you are dying to spend $50,000 more each, and there are 20 of you, I would be happy to build first class carbon fiber (not fiber glass with some carbon or an optic layer of carbon) hoods, doors, rear fenders (44 mm wider than stock) and engine compartment lids. And, if you want to spend more, there is no limit as to what can be done, up to and including carbon fiber front and rear suspensions, exhaust systems, cast titanium or metal maxtrix composite uprights, carbon fiber/titanium struts, etc., i.e., it is only money. Having said that, you need NONE of the foregoing and for the vast majority of drivers it is useless except for bragging rights.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:16 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I truly believe that (except for some and many of the humans are Porsche Dealers) car salesman are some of the lowest life forms on earth. I thought about a Z06 for about 2 days. Now remember these are guys who sell chevettes not Porsches or Lexus's (they seem to be of higher life forms) I drove to Rally Chevrolet in Palmdale california with my 09 AMG C62 with 1800 miles on it, with the idea of a possible trade.
MSRP for the AMG was 68K the Vette was 81K MSRP. I TOLD them I knew 09 Z06s were going for up to $20K off. I TOLD them I knew 08 Z06s were still on the floor for in the mid $50s SAME EXACT vehicle.
I TOLD them I knew the manhiem auctions prices for thiers and mine. So they tacked on 9K for paint protection on the Z06. THEN had the smarts to discount it to 85K specially for me, THEN offer me
42 K for mine when the lowest priced I had been offered was 55K in deals for Turbos. The Z06 is question had 1100 miles on it. Had grass in the back as if they had gone to the golf course everyday,
smell of cigarette smoke, and the leather dash had been ruined where they had left the window open catching rain drops from a passing storm then let the Desert heat bake the spots on leather. SO
I was going to have to come up with almost 50K for trading my perfect 09 AMG in on the POS 09 Z06
and on TOP of that even though the Chevy web site said I could get .9% financing they said I didnt qualify for it with a 826 credit score so I was going to have to pay 7.8 %
I just couldnt believe that someone could be so freaking stupid. I took the deal sheet wadded it up in front of the sales manager threw it on the floor and said you guys have NO business selling high end cars and walked out. This was in JUNE not 08 but 09, about 7 weeks ago.
So now you know why I think these guys are just above or below a single cell animal without a means of propulsion. I LOATHE going to a low end car dealer. At LEAST at a Porsche dealership you have a
CHANCE of meeting a life form of some sort that can make choices.
We are lucky to have a couple of intelligent guys here representing Porsche like Alfie. Trader etc.
But obviously some of these parameciums (I know they can propel) have made it up to the upper echelons of autos.
I want to give props to Bakersfield Porsche Because Brian Hughes is a really smart guy and has made a living in a small town selling Porsches for a long time. When I come in he knows the score and we can talk without the BS flying all over the place.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:18 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Let me tell you if you take advantage of Robert Lintons offer you will have some of the best pieces ever created on this planet.
Robert there was 10K back end money available On TOP of the 10% but I think thats over now.
I dont know of a better Carbon artist than Robert Linton on THIS planet.
( I have only been on one planet however)

Quick Reply: Dealership Greed!