Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 Front Rotor Cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:55 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the PCCB and have not had an issue with replacement and price. Guys make a whole season of real racing on one set, barring contact. I will stay with them and my next will not be irons. If everyone purchased only what was the cheapest none of us would have a Porsche to begin with.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:25 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by an experienced RS owner, that the rotors will last a few seasons of 9-12 events per season, as long as you bed in the pads. Pad wear is almost 100% dependent on driving style. Some people use several sets per 9-12 event season, while other only use 1 or 2. The important thing is to bed in the pads so they apply an even coating to the rotor surface and then change the pads early to void chance of damage. He also recommended against the harder racing pads.

I personally think $18,000 for a set of 4 rotors is ridiculous. Porsche is gouging big time with that price.

Last edited by BBTurbo; 08-04-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:19 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
$620*2=$1240

$8990/1240=7.25

Given ceramics last longer, bite better, inspire greater confidence and are lighter (for you fast guys) then the gap is narrowing, and as a consequence the premium is diminishing.

E.G. If the ceramics last 4 times longer than "iron' then they are only (approx) 2 times more expensive with their added benefits. YMMV!
The real question is if this is really true? Perhaps more the opposite. You can't use the 997.1 as a basis for this because the 997.2 has a completely new brake system. First, the new brakes are larger and hence have more surface area. In fact, they are now the same as PCCBs. The rotors are a different composition. Cross-section and vane design are completely different. They even have different metalergy. Since these base brakes have floating hubs, you should also be able to replace the friction surface separate from the entire rotor asssembly and hence not having to pay $620 for a full rotor.

The other thing is to evaluate both braking systems on an apples to apples comparison. Comparing both with factory pads, PCCBs have the advantage in tolerating heat and maintaining braking performance. Rotor wear is not an issue with factory pads. Switch to a much better race pad, as a lot of us run, and it is a completely different comparison. When you look at a full race pad, you can get better bite than any of the choice pads for PCCBs. In fact, these pads are so aggressive they can tear a PCCB rotor. The downside is these aggressive brake pads wear rotors a lot faster. So it is basically braking performance versus wear. This would be a nice trade staudy as we get some track performance knowledge on the new brake system.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:38 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Since these base brakes have floating hubs, you should also be able to replace the friction surface separate from the entire rotor asssembly and hence not having to pay $620 for a full rotor.
They are NOT floating rotors, there is NO ability to replace just the friction surface as the iron disk and the aluminum hub are bonded together.
After casting and pre- machining the grey cast iron friction ring, the stainless steel pins are secured in the friction ring with a light press fit. This unit is placed in a chill mould. When aluminum is poured into the chill mould the steel pins are cast-in, the brake disc center section is formed by the inner mould of the chill mould and a fixed connection is created between the friction ring and brake
chamber.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:43 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
. .... When you look at a full race pad, you can get better bite than any of the choice pads for PCCBs...
Tell us your detailed experience with ceramics,... #of laps, # of miles, daily temperatures. Gen 1 versus Gen2 and Gen 3. etc.

There is nothing that equals the "initial" bite of the ceramics (imo), the guys with "premature" problems might stay on them too long!

In the popular vernacular:- "once you go ceramics, you can never go back"
Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh...not quite true.

Tried Ceramics....did not get religion....did the cost/benefit....fretted...said No.

-> And my world did not fall apart!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Tell us your detailed experience with ceramics,... #of laps, # of miles, daily temperatures. Gen 1 versus Gen2 and Gen 3. etc.

There is nothing that equals the "initial" bite of the ceramics (imo), the guys with "premature" problems might stay on them too long!

In the popular vernacular:- "once you go ceramics, you can never go back"
Actually, I did "go back" from the ceramics to the steel and I was very happy initially and finally. Happy to pay less for the car initially and happy to see the resale of the car at a fair (enough) number, where I see decent cars with a lot of options and CCBs not getting a fair price for the brakes, but that's all part of the deal.

The part of the ride that will see me back paying for CCBs in the next car is the driving. I know the .2 steels narrow the performance gap, but the combination of unsprung weight and the pedal feel as well as no lingering doubts about CCB durability.

I'm not really advocating CCBs as a generalizaton, but if you can put your foot on the brake and you're willing to pay an extra $8K +/- for the pedal to "feel different" then it's worthwhile in the overall expense of a new car.

As for doing the math, if you have a car and it needs rotors, it's cheaper to trade it on a car with fresh brakes. : )
Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let me see if I have this straight....

You had ceramics, then you didn't have ceramics, now you want ceramics?

I think you proved my point (and paralleled my experiences)

QED!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:59 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Let me see if I have this straight....

You had ceramics, then you didn't have ceramics, now you want ceramics?

I think you proved my point (and paralleled my experiences)

QED!
Póg Mo Thóin

: )

No, I don't know anyone that parallels your Porsche purchases, but I was trying to illustrate that there's two sides to the rotor. And right now, subjectively, the business of selling my '07 GT3 makes me see the merits in the resale value of steels.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^

Ach! but, if you had had ceramics, 'twould be but a distant memory.

: )
Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Here's my glass-half-full view. In addition to all the known benefits:

They're 1/4 the price of carbon/carbon brakes.

They're nearly 50% cheaper than the same option offered by Ferrari.

They're nearly 10% cheaper than the same option for the poor blokes in the UK, and that's not factoring in VAT.

They drop over 40lbs of static weight; significantly magnified on rotational basis. Anyone that's tried to achieve similar impact without negatively impacting daily driveability knows what this means.

Replacement cost will come down (http://www.autonews.com/article/2009...906129996/1189)
Old 08-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Here's my glass-half-full view. In addition to all the known benefits:

They're 1/4 the price of carbon/carbon brakes.

They're nearly 50% cheaper than the same option offered by Ferrari.

They're nearly 10% cheaper than the same option for the poor blokes in the UK, and that's not factoring in VAT.

They drop over 40lbs of static weight; significantly magnified on rotational basis. Anyone that's tried to achieve similar impact without negatively impacting daily driveability knows what this means.

Replacement cost will come down (http://www.autonews.com/article/2009...906129996/1189)
I think you've got it in a nutshell.

I can't explain why it always takes so long to read your posts ... I seem to be distracted from the text ...
Old 08-06-2009, 02:05 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think you've got it in a nutshell.

I can't explain why it always takes so long to read your posts ... I seem to be distracted from the text ...
Agreed! Nizer's avatar is distracting!

Are you telling me that he actually types words in his posts?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now back to the brakes...so the new rotors are double the cost of replacement slotted rotors from DeMan or Protosport. How long will they last? Maybe longer since they are larger and the aluminum components are better at dissipating the heat? Shorter because there is less material to wear away? Shorter because the pins which connect the centers to the friction rings will fail? Your speculation here.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Sorry, did you say something?

Quick Reply: 997.2 Front Rotor Cost