Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New GT3 Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
No, not true. There is a small, non-color display standard; bigger than the last generation, but not what I would call a 'screen'.
You're right, Nav does have a bigger, color screen. The non-Nav cars, however, do have a much bigger screen than before and appears nicer visually than its predecessor.

Last edited by 911dev; 07-28-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:52 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
No, not true. There is a small, non-color display standard; bigger than the last generation, but not what I would call a 'screen'.
Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up...
Old 07-28-2009, 04:59 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeonardoC2S
Hey Brendan - Why are you leaning against a car that's not your's? JK Thanks for the pics!

Were those Pirelli Corsas?
it's not my car yet :-)
Old 07-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure but I think they have changed the exhaust system if the picture shows an OEM car. It looks like they have done away with the big mufflers which sat up in the fender wells, and now the headers feed the cats and then the center muffler only. Is that right?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:28 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
I'm not sure but I think they have changed the exhaust system if the picture shows an OEM car. It looks like they have done away with the big mufflers which sat up in the fender wells, and now the headers feed the cats and then the center muffler only. Is that right?
Mufflers are still there up in the fender well....
Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Built-in nav would be great if car makers did not insist on installing garbage navigation software and interface.

I have experienced navigation in a 2009 BMW X5, 2007 Audi S4, 2008 Cayenne S. All of them sucked. A 300$ Garmin is much better, has a touch screen and can find the street even if you don't know the exact spelling of the city. For example, the island of Montreal consists of many municipalities and often the same street will go through several of them. If I actually knew the propler name of the municipality or borough then I wouldn't need to put the address in the damn nav in the first place.

The iPhone works well as a navigation device in a pinch. The maps in it (Google) are head and shoulders above even the Garmin. And the search is really good.

Until car makers start putting in Google maps with touch screens I will not pay 3,000$ for a ****ty navigation system that is totally eclipsed by a $300 unit I can purchase in any electronics store.

And buying a GT3 with a ****ty navigation system is not for me. I know where the track is and if not I will look it up on Google maps how to get there.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:38 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the Nav system!!
It's always there and it works. I tend to drive my car a bit
more than the majority going to places and thru unfamiliar cities across the country.
Like the interface with the trip computer as well.

It's just always there, no need to remember bringing another unit.

My 2¢
Old 07-29-2009, 02:55 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@amaist: PCM 3.0 has a nice nav, way better than 2.1
It's on par with a Garmin, maybe a gen behind a TomTomLive
Old 07-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Hey Brendan,
Hooked through the gills huh? I'm sure that car is a blast on the track.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

^ I'm in trouble, that's for sure. love the paws on the boxter. not sure i saw that before.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
^ I'm in trouble, that's for sure. love the paws on the boxter. not sure i saw that before.
The car doesn't have traction control,....so I added the paws.
I think you NEED to go buy that GT3.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,702 Likes on 2,342 Posts

i dont like computers and i hate gps.
but the 2009 gps in porsches are the best i have ever used. simple and it really does the job without you trying to out think it.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:23 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
I think you NEED to go buy that GT3.
+1
public school is good for the kids :-)
Old 07-30-2009, 03:47 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADias
Add me to the few who do not need NAV. I just ordered a car and made sure it did not have NAV or Bose, or motorized seats, or directional lights. I'm never lost and I have access to other (light/portable) devices if I need directions/maps. NAV and doodads in a GT3 makes no sense. Besides, if one plans to keep a car for more than a few years, NAV and other built-in electronic gizmos will soon be obsolete.

What I hear more and more is 'sports car enthusiasts' looking for high performance cars, all the way demanding all kinds of doodads and the kitchen sink to weigh them down.
Bose is not an option on a GT3. Unless you get the optional sport buckets, all the other seats have motorized backrests.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There seems to be a holier-than-thou attitude from some GT3 owners about the car being built only for a 'special' group of hardcore track junkies. And that unless you buy one fully stripped out and take it to the track, you're somehow a poseur.

I've got news for you guys - the GT3 is a STREET car, not a race car. It's not even a track car. It has a/c, power windows, air bags, crush zones, PSM, PASM, sound insulation, carpets... And most owners who wouldn't dream of 'corrupting' their GT3 by adding nav, will still add leather on the dash for some strange reason.

Now, I fully understand the benefits of low weight. I drive a 996 RS, buckets, plastic rear window and all. I get it. But it's my daily road car, it's not a track car (although I do track it on rare occasion). For that reason I put rear speakers in back, which the factory takes out of the 996 RS, and I added a Dension iPod kit. And I'm very glad my car has a/c, power windows and carpets because that way it's pleasant to use daily on the road. I have 20k miles of almost exclusively street use on my car and I've loved every minute of them.

Why did I not just buy a C2S instead? Because the GT3 has a hardcore, connected feel that the non-GT cars simply cannot match. No matter what speed I'm going, even just idling, sitting tight in those buckets my GT3 provides the visceral, mechanical experience that I crave. And when conditions allow, it can bare its teeth and behave somewhat feral. All the time remaining a perfectly usable daily road car.

If you are buying your GT3 as a track car, that's great. Get an RS with no options at all, remove the a/c, window motors, carpets, passenger seat, etc, and enjoy. But remember that there are those of us who fully appreciate the GT3 in the spirit of which it was actually created - as a properly usable daily sports car. Now will someone please explain how adding a nav system somehow ruins the GT3?

Yesterday I was driving a Lotus Exige S 240 on the track. That car is amazing. Of course it's slower around the track than my RS, but not by all that much. And it feels every bit as good, even better in many ways on the track. And it costs a third as much to buy, and probably less than that to run as a track car. It too had a/c and power windows. That's the car I would buy as a dedicated track car. And still enjoy the drive getting there.

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 07-30-2009 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: New GT3 Drive