Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New GT3 Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New GT3 Drive

I got the chance to drive the new GT3 today and what a blast it was. I got a call last week that they were coming in and made a detour on a business trip to take a look. the car had not completed the inspection yet so i motored into the parts dept at suncoast and loaded up on the latest garb/ tchotchkies while the service department went through their motions.

there have been many reviews and my experience doesn't afford me the expertise to judge the improvements in this model year any better than the pros have done already. however, i do have a few thoughts as an amateur.

first, i could certainly live with this car as on longer trips and in a commute that is not completely stop and go traffic. the ride is more compliant than i anticipated despite reading all of the first impressions from the journalists that stated as much. the clutch is fine and the gearbox seems to strike just the appropriate balance between being easy to use and stiff enough to remind you of its provenance. they're both a bit stiff but fun. the throw on the gearshift is short and is very definite.

second, it is incredibly quick and fun. it just goes exactly where you want it when you want it. i'm a fan of traction control the way porsche does it - giving you enough leeway to let the car move out a bit before it helps keep you from going off. i'd be certain to keep it on the entire time i was on track with this car. it's incredibly responsive but that's no surprise. the surprise was how easy it is to drive without any drama. the suspension changing button, similar in spirit to what i have in my carrera S, make this the perfect car for "normal" or aggressive driving. i didn't take it way up in the revs, but the midrange responsiveness is impressive.

third, it sounds & looks awesome. i mean, the sport button gives you a wail that turned heads on my 20 mile drive. i have PSE and this thing puts it to shame, as it should. add to the fact that it revs and revs and revs, and you have a great experience.

Lastly, I'd option the car a bit differently. this had nav, steel brakes (OK, Iron, whatever), bluetooth, audio adapter. i would have sport seats to allow for harnesses for the track but i think i'd keep the other electronics for day to day use. IMHO it's ridiculous to get a car without NAV in this day and age. i also need the front lift and i'd like the dynamic engine mounts. with a different driveway and garage, i'd certainly be fine without the front lift.

pls pardon the crappy photos but i didn't have time to set them up appropriately.

anyhoo, at 435hp this thing is a monster and i'm going to buy one. not sure when but i'm sure i will...

brendan.
Attached Images    

Last edited by brendo; 07-28-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: wrong HP numbers!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:56 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
... IMO it's ridiculous to get a car without NAV in this day and age.
Add me to the few who do not need NAV. I just ordered a car and made sure it did not have NAV or Bose, or motorized seats, or directional lights. I'm never lost and I have access to other (light/portable) devices if I need directions/maps. NAV and doodads in a GT3 makes no sense. Besides, if one plans to keep a car for more than a few years, NAV and other built-in electronic gizmos will soon be obsolete.

What I hear more and more is 'sports car enthusiasts' looking for high performance cars, all the way demanding all kinds of doodads and the kitchen sink to weigh them down.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Very interesting......that 2010 GT3 has PS2s, not Sport Cups. Hmmmm.
Doug N.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:29 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dougrhea@telusplanet.net
Doug N.

????
Old 07-28-2009, 01:53 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dougrhea@telusplanet.net
Doug N.
WRONG answer.......
Old 07-28-2009, 09:22 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Please explain......???

Edit: OK, my applogies....looks like I am just getting old and my eye sight is failing, also the photo is not perfectly clear at the tire edge and the flash enhanced the depth of the tread depth. I just checked the nice clear photos on tirerack, and sure enough these are "Sport Cups" (good thing too!).

Cheers!
Doug N.

Last edited by DJN; 07-28-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Getting old !
Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine won't have Nav either, however, to each his own. Thanks for the photos and review, very nice! Oh, 435 ponies not 425.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:36 AM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Add me to the few who do not need NAV. I just ordered a car and made sure it did not have NAV or Bose, or motorized seats, or directional lights. I'm never lost and I have access to other (light/portable) devices if I need directions/maps. NAV and doodads in a GT3 makes no sense. Besides, if one plans to keep a car for more than a few years, NAV and other built-in electronic gizmos will soon be obsolete.

What I hear more and more is 'sports car enthusiasts' looking for high performance cars, all the way demanding all kinds of doodads and the kitchen sink to weigh them down.
+1
Old 07-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My Dad has a Delivery Date of September and the only option he added was floor mats. No NAV or fancy radio.....just raw power!!!

We saw one in white (Same color he ordered)d this morning at Paul Miller Porsche and it is beautiful and the engine sounds great!!

I was alse skeptical about the alcentra in the interior but after sitting in it, I think it is very nice.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:51 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

count me as another who has little to no use for navigation.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:28 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get navi and i'm a hardcore track/enthusiast who strips out car's to make drivable car's undrivable LOL... It just looks more complete, and definitely comes in handy.. Take out a few other things and there is the weight difference made up, from GT3 seats alone and some.. I feel the way of the new car's is having them much more drivable on the street, to drive around and enjoy plus hit the track and have it do what it was built to do..

This car isn't a race car, so what does it matter? For most peoples skill level, if they hop in this car it will not make a difference during a time trial around a track at all with or without. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited by iLLM3; 07-28-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
I would get navi and i'm a hardcore track/enthusiast who strips out car's to make drivable car's undrivable LOL... It just looks more complete, and definitely comes in handy.. Take out a few other things and there is the weight difference made up, from GT3 seats alone and some.. I feel the way of the new car's is having them much more drivable on the street, to drive around and enjoy plus hit the track and have it do what it was built to do..

This car isn't a race car, so what does it matter? For most peoples skill level, if they hop in this car it will not make a difference during a time trial around a track at all with or without. Just my 2 cents!
The 2010 doesn't have any apparent visual differences between Nav or sans Nav, like the 2007/08 models. Also, I don't think anyone is arguing that Nav isn't a viable option if one wants/needs it. It's just that the OP stated that he felt it was a must have for any modern car. I disagree.

I don't care that it may weigh more. I don't want to pay $3,200 or so for it. I also love how Porsche makes you get Nav if you want XM, so XM is basically $4,000 if you have no need for Nav. I don't want either and it's not because I am not a million dollar race car driver, lol, because I'm not!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:51 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911dev
The 2010 doesn't have any apparent visual differences between Nav or sans Nav, like the 2007/08 models. Also, I don't think anyone is arguing that Nav isn't a viable option if one wants/needs it. It's just that the OP stated that he felt it was a must have for any modern car. I disagree.

I don't care that it may weigh more. I don't want to pay $3,200 or so for it. I also love how Porsche makes you get Nav if you want XM, so XM is basically $4,000 if you have no need for Nav. I don't want either and it's not because I am not a million dollar race car driver, lol, because I'm not!
Oh shoot, so the screen is now standard like in the 997TT's?? Interesting didn't even know that!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 PM
LeonardoC2S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Brendan - Why are you leaning against a car that's not your's? JK Thanks for the pics!

Were those Pirelli Corsas?

Last edited by LeonardoC2S; 07-28-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: add-on
Old 07-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Oh shoot, so the screen is now standard like in the 997TT's?? Interesting didn't even know that!
No, not true. There is a small, non-color display standard; bigger than the last generation, but not what I would call a 'screen'.

Quick Reply: New GT3 Drive