Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is 2010 MY last of the Real Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:12 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Remember, Dr. Porsche's first prototype WAS a mid engined car. The main reason for moving the engine to the rear was to accommodate more passengers.

I'm a long time fan and absolutely love the 911. However, as I've heard the design described before;

"The 911 is a terrible design that has been brilliantly executed."

I think that there is probably some truth in that statement.

Phil
Old 07-26-2009, 12:00 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Remember, Dr. Porsche's first prototype WAS a mid engined car. The main reason for moving the engine to the rear was to accommodate more passengers.

I'm a long time fan and absolutely love the 911. However, as I've heard the design described before;

"The 911 is a terrible design that has been brilliantly executed."

I think that there is probably some truth in that statement.

Phil
Sure there is truth in that quote, although I would not call the architecture 'terrible' necessarily, perhaps 'difficult' is a better term. The brilliance however is to explore the architecture for maximum traction benefit and dart-like, go-kart dynamics, and the rest is history. Perfectly balanced cars can be designed offering optimum measured performance, e.g., the GTR... but I do not want one, thanks!
Old 07-26-2009, 12:50 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had always assumed that the CAFE problem was one of the reasons why Porsche embarked on the VW strategy in the first place. But they would be in charge, not the other guys. I think the loss of independence is a great shame but we will have to see what happens now. Sometimes what goes around comes around and I wouldn't be surprised if, 10 years from now, VW is foundering and sells off Porsche to, let's say, the Porsche family.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:02 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Terry L
I had always assumed that the CAFE problem was one of the reasons why Porsche embarked on the VW strategy in the first place. But they would be in charge, not the other guys. I think the loss of independence is a great shame but we will have to see what happens now. Sometimes what goes around comes around and I wouldn't be surprised if, 10 years from now, VW is foundering and sells off Porsche to, let's say, the Porsche family.
And let's not forget that the Porsches own 50.7% of VAG.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:58 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The strategy of Wendelin Wiedeking was always to combine Porsche and VW group to capitalize on the synergies available. This has now happened, it's just that Wiedeking is out, and Piech is calling the shots. Given the comparative history of Wiedeking's and Piech's support for racing, I'd say things are not so bad. Besides, the Porsche family (that includes Piech too, remember) still owns it all.
w
Old 07-26-2009, 09:45 AM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wurlie
The strategy of Wendelin Wiedeking was always to combine Porsche and VW group to capitalize on the synergies available. This has now happened, it's just that Wiedeking is out, and Piech is calling the shots. Given the comparative history of Wiedeking's and Piech's support for racing, I'd say things are not so bad. Besides, the Porsche family (that includes Piech too, remember) still owns it all.
w
Yes but VW is dominated, if not controlled, by lower Saxony. Politics and business mix in strange ways. The unionized workers at VW are an important poltical force. And they are entirely different from -- both in attitude and compensation -- their Porsche AG counterparts in Zuffenhausen. The mix between the two work forces is so different that the Porsche AG workers held a demonstration protesting the impending merger with VW.

I do not view VWs has having great quality. They have good quality, but are often compromised cars.

I am afraid we may be entering a dark period for Porsche much like the late 1980s/early 1990's.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:25 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

"The unionized workers at VW are an important poltical force. And they are entirely different from -- both in attitude and compensation -- their Porsche AG counterparts in Zuffenhausen. The mix between the two work forces is so different that the Porsche AG workers held a demonstration protesting the impending merger with VW."

I wonder if this distraction will affect current build quality vis a vis disgruntled workers. I want my October build to be perfect.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tmc
Yes but VW is dominated, if not controlled, by lower Saxony. Politics and business mix in strange ways. The unionized workers at VW are an important poltical force. And they are entirely different from -- both in attitude and compensation -- their Porsche AG counterparts in Zuffenhausen. The mix between the two work forces is so different that the Porsche AG workers held a demonstration protesting the impending merger with VW.

I do not view VWs has having great quality. They have good quality, but are often compromised cars.

I am afraid we may be entering a dark period for Porsche much like the late 1980s/early 1990's.
Let's assume that now more than ever Zuffenhausen workers want to show their pride in superior workmanship.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:05 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Let's assume that now more than ever Zuffenhausen workers want to show their pride in superior workmanship.
Let's hope VW doesn't close Zuffenhausen to placate their workers union and/or the State of Lower Saxony.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:57 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope it will mark the end of the old and obsolete rear engine 911 design, and allow Porsche to move ahead and finally give to the World it's new mid engine flagship design.

Then we will REALLY have something to talk about!
How do these Nissan guys STILL get on our site?

THe 911 has more grip out of a corner than any car on the planet.
Why do you think teams still choose the GT3 as their weapon of choice when they could buy
anything including a Koeniggsegg.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:10 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you think happened to Ferrari when Fiat bought it?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Bodhii
Rennlist Member

How do these Nissan guys STILL get on our site?
I'm an active PCA and POC member. I love Porsches, and I am a complete believer in Porsche engineering. I have very actively owned, tracked and raced several Porsche cars, and still do. I have never owned a Nissan. Nor do I plan to.

I do NOT make any comparisons to other makes in my statements. I look only at the 911. To me it is like a 40 year old man still living at his parents home. I am sure that most of Porsche's elite engineers agree. There is a point in every basic design, where that design becomes obsolete relative to that industry's current understanding of design and engineering. Maybe not obviously obsolete in comparison to others, but obsolete, nevertheless, to the state of art understanding within Porsche itself, on how to make the best sports car in the World. The 911 does NOT represent the best sports car that Porsche, and its fantastic engineers and designers, could now be making for the same price point.

Last edited by Bodhii; 07-27-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:53 PM
DonS
Drifting

Mr. Piech was the one responsible for pushing the 917's development. HE'S the racer in the family.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:51 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

To me it is like a 40 year old man still living at his parents home.

To me it's like the 40+ year old gunfighter that after listening to enough of the young guns bullsh#t he blows the punk away.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

The 911 is unique, sui generis. The time will eventually come when it is no longer profitable to be made, either because of technologic or market factors. To badge a mid-engine design a 911 is futile and will be self defeating for Porsche. There are many fine mid-engine sport cars produced today, Porsches included. The 911, despite definite anachronistic qualities, continues to define Porsche to a large enough audience that it's continuation and modernization constitute good business sense. Arguably the 928 was superior to the 911 of its day, the Porsche engineers who designed the 928 certainly thought so, and management planned to phase out the 911. The market voted, loudly, otherwise, management was shuffled, and 30 years later people are still buying 911s.

Quick Reply: Is 2010 MY last of the Real Porsches