Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Would you buy a 2010 GT3 for street driving purposes only?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:04 PM
TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Look at race cars. how many trannies are manual and even then they are sequential not true manuals,
to make it easier on the driver. WHY?
You make some good points. However, though many race cars use sequential trannys, it's for purposes of competition. Race cars are built for speed and consistency, not for driving pleasure.

Plus, race cars are full of character that road cars just can't duplicate. I've never driven a race car, but it seems like operating a sequential race tranny with straight cut gears is more 'mechanically satisfying' than pulling the paddle of a road car's sequential transmission. Of course, I'm just going by the in-car race car videos I've seen.

You've had manual sports cars, you know.. as fast/consistent as the PDK, F1, et al. are, they do remove some of the experience. Pushing buttons does not yield the same mechanical interaction or satisfaction as competently operating a shifter and clutch. In the case of PDK, I've read that it actually performs better shifting itself.

I'm not downing auto-manual trannys. They do deliver impressive performance, but it comes at a price, IMHO.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:12 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Rob the truth is that we have some diehards here. From what I remember Ferrari still offers the 6 speed for 10% of its drivers and so will Porsche. If thats what the driver wants then he can get it. I can see why people would like the 6 speed better.

Now if I would just QUIT trying to put my left foot through the floor every time I get in the PDK!!!!
Yes the PDK in sport mode seems to shift right before I would
Old 07-27-2009, 08:41 PM
TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Rob the truth is that we have some diehards here. From what I remember Ferrari still offers the 6 speed for 10% of its drivers and so will Porsche. If thats what the driver wants then he can get it. I can see why people would like the 6 speed better.
That's true. In fact, I'm one of them. I have a manual F430.

Yet, I didn't care for my manual 996TT. Between the turbo lag between shifts, the sluggish throttle response and the shifter's long throws, it just wasn't a great stick car. I can only imagine how potent the new PDK Turbo will be. If I were in the market for another Turbo, I'd surely consider the PDK.

Glad you like your C2S. How's the sound compared to the GT3?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

I've been entertaining this dialogue myself a LOT lately, with the wife who wants a C2s Cab PDK - having just driven 500 miles of highway in the 3 let me say

* General street driving on decent (hopefully twisty roads) - go for it!!
* Crappy straight highway drive through the desert to CA - wow it sucks

PDK is nice and I am sure faster, but I'd take the 6-speed for street fun car duty. For daily driving, I use the X5 SUV.

Chris
Old 07-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 11 Posts

I currently use a 997 GT3RS as a daily driver. One thing to note. Getting into the RS is an experience every single time.

Even going slow, it feels so connected, so planted, and is always hunting out that next corner. By comparison, when I used to drive my turbo slowly, it felt just like an automobile to get me from a to b... i didnt feel the road or crave the next corner like I do in the RS.

So all i can say is even on the road, its something I look forward to all the time... and that I assure you will lead you to get into track days.... just to explore more of that amazing visceral feel that you get at slow speeds even in the GT3....

But then again, it really is personal, there are many others out there that dont want to endure a GT3 due to where they live, physical limitations or just wanting to hear a stereo... for me the music is in the clatter of the single mass running beneath me, the engine noise coming through due to reduced sound proofing. the rawness and the tram lining on the roads, the immediacy of the steering.. all of this and more makes my every commute to work and around town that bit more enjoyable... and makes me crave that next track day even more...
Old 09-05-2010, 01:48 PM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

When I was purchasing my vehicle I first test drove the '10 C2S - it was an impressive vehicle, but quite honestly it was comparable to my 2001 NSX. The NSX even was better in a lot of ways (shifter, visibility, materials). It just didn't have that 'edge' that I was looking for - I wasn't begging to spend six figures on a car like that, some people are, but not myself particularly.

I went back the next day and drove the GT3 and my mind was made before I even started moving it forward - just turning the engine on and adjusting the mirrors got my blood racing. After blasting onto the freeway, the contract was as good as signed. The whole experience blew the doors off of anything I've ever owned or driven, or basically every type of performance car, not including Italian/Euro exotics which I have very little experience with (and not enough money for!)

I sit in front of a computer 8+ hours a day or am driving people around in the company SUV, the GT3 is exactly what I need as a daily driver. I like the fun of driving around town with the heavy clutch, notchy shifter, and low clearance. I like downshifting to a light and hearing the engine bubble, and occasionally accelerating through 2nd on the street. It's a perfect vehicle for a nerdy wannabe-racecar driver like myself It makes me want to get up and drive to work in the morning - I consider (read: rationalize) it an investment in my professional development.

Since the stimulus money came to the state last year, they have been repaving every street in west LA, as well as all the freeways I use like the 405, 101, 10, etc... even the PCH and the canyon roads into Ventura County. Couldn't have had better timing!

Having said that, if I had to deal with traffic on a regular basis or rough roads, I probably wouldn't drive it daily. I drive locally to work and only get on the freeway for day trips and late night snack runs
Old 09-05-2010, 04:52 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT3 is a greats street car, especially if it has sport adaptive seats. Although, once you've been in it for a while, you will start to get the overwhelming urge to sign up for a DE. The car will start out just whispering, "Track ME" and it will eventually grow into an a Wail that you can't resist listening to.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:41 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donquixote30
Currently I have a 2006 997S (11,700 miles) and a 2007 Honda S2000 (6,200 miles). I enjoy both a great deal but am thinking about trading them for a low-optioned 2010 GT3. What truly excites me about sports cars is not high speed but rather the sort of organic relationship (or dialog) that is established between the driver and a well-designed machine. Have never deriven a GT3 but the overall character of the 997S and the exciting nature of the well-balanced, high-rev S2000 give clues about how glorious it would be driving one. Is it justifiable to go for a GT3 even when not having plans to take it to the track? What do you think?
If you want one and can buy it, what we think does not matter. I would expect that less than 1% of us could imagine doing it but who cares?
It is a fun car to have and drive anywhere. Get it and have fun!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:11 AM
G-Man993

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was fortuneate enough to drive a friends GT3 RS last week through some very good roads and I was simply blown away by the the shere 'awesomeness' of this car. This car was just so CRISP, responsive and quick. This car just moved the goal posts for me.

Contrary to many of the comments in this thread I was surprised by just how supple the suspension was (for a hard core sports car) and how easy it is to drive, with none of the controls that heavy. The sound was fantastic but certainly not at all unpleasant or even that loud at regular 'around town' street speeds. I would not use this car as my DD but that is purely because I just can't see the point in using a car like this for stop start driving around town and having to leave it sitting it public parking areas etc.

I am a long term owner of a 993C4S (11 years now and a keeper) as well as a 73'RS recreation which are both great cars but I am in serious lust for a 997 GT3RS or GT3 and it is at the top of my wish list now.

Last edited by G-Man993; 09-06-2010 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:57 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by donquixote30
Currently I have a 2006 997S (11,700 miles) and a 2007 Honda S2000 (6,200 miles). I enjoy both a great deal but am thinking about trading them for a low-optioned 2010 GT3. What truly excites me about sports cars is not high speed but rather the sort of organic relationship (or dialog) that is established between the driver and a well-designed machine. Have never deriven a GT3 but the overall character of the 997S and the exciting nature of the well-balanced, high-rev S2000 give clues about how glorious it would be driving one. Is it justifiable to go for a GT3 even when not having plans to take it to the track? What do you think?
that's what i've done in the past & about to do it again.

when the regular 911 can't excite u anymore then the GT3 is the way to go. i don't see a big deal of tracking the car. frankly, i just felt the regular 911 is too soft & only the GT3 carries the true soul of the 911.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:15 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

i think that a stripped gt3 with dynamic engine mounts is all that one would need. couple that with 10k off MSRP and you've got a heck of a bargain
Old 09-06-2010, 03:04 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
i think that a stripped gt3 with dynamic engine mounts is all that one would need. couple that with 10k off MSRP and you've got a heck of a bargain
i know of a 2011 nov build open spec 997gt3
it's msrp in CA
but where can i get $10k off a new open spec car?

u r right a stripped GT3 with engine mount would be nice.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Why buy a 2011.....you can get a high spec "bubble wrapped" lightly used 2010......

Problem is most people ordered them with the wrong seats
Old 09-06-2010, 03:52 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Why buy a 2011.....you can get a high spec "bubble wrapped" lightly used 2010......

Problem is most people ordered them with the wrong seats
wrong seat and wrong options.
certain things drive me absolute nuts.
like the cyclops for sport chrono
Old 09-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Or buy this.....I can handle a wart for the price

An RS for mid 120K???

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 2010 GT3 for street driving purposes only?