Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Would you buy a 2010 GT3 for street driving purposes only?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

As a street car, I prefer my CL with 734lbs of torque 9 out of 10 times...

Remeber, we have no corners in Florida, except for 90 degree ones with traffic lights...

Never driven a Turbo Porsche, but seems a better fit for street driving...
Old 07-26-2009, 07:14 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a solution for you: Get the GT3 plus an inexpensive daily runner. I have a 1995 Camry, in good condition, that I use when I'm not in the mood for the GT3, or when I'm going somewhere GT3 unfriendly. Of course this solution only makes sense if you still believe you will use the GT3 most of the time. You already have a Volvo, right?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:13 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

911Dev Wrote:
A C2S (MKII) PDK may be faster than a slow GT3 MKI driver, but he/she won't be faster than than an experienced driver nor will they be faster than a MKII GT3 and slower still if they don't have the PDK advantage.
No only the best of the best can drive a GT3 faster than the C2S PDK. Yes the GT3 will reward you with the best track experience you could ever get. The C2S will reward you more faster. The intriguing thing is that the GT3 reward is so special its very hard to achieve and the car doesnt suffer fools. After thinking I was a pretty good driver in my 993TT. I was quickly shown reality with my FIRST GT3 the 996. My 997 GT3 was a tad easier to drive because of traction control. But Stiil the driver is required to be ALL in on in a GT3 and if you do the experience is as close as you can get to a real race car with license plates. I drove a GT3 from 04 through 08 Daily to the track to the store what ever. But
there were times when I just didnt want to deal with it and I drove a SUV instead. DonQuiote seems like he has made a wise decision.
Three of the most hard core track guys I know have switched to the PDK after realizing its just a better alternative to a GT3 on a Daily basis. I wont mention their names but their names are in the next Sentence. What column has said the speed was better than the PDK? None that I know.
Look at Ferrari drivers -they are all gold wearing Corvette converts. SOME of them know what they are doing and yet Ferrari makes 90% or more F1s of each model. And the PDK is better than the F1.
Look at race cars. how many trannies are manual and even then they are sequential not true manuals,
to make it easier on the driver. WHY?

DonQuiote one solution is to get your PDK 911 and then get a GT3 996 version. They have be getting less and less expensive.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:52 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
911Dev Wrote:

No only the best of the best can drive a GT3 faster than the C2S PDK. Yes the GT3 will reward you with the best track experience you could ever get. The C2S will reward you more faster. The intriguing thing is that the GT3 reward is so special its very hard to achieve and the car doesnt suffer fools. After thinking I was a pretty good driver in my 993TT. I was quickly shown reality with my FIRST GT3 the 996. My 997 GT3 was a tad easier to drive because of traction control. But Stiil the driver is required to be ALL in on in a GT3 and if you do the experience is as close as you can get to a real race car with license plates. I drove a GT3 from 04 through 08 Daily to the track to the store what ever. But
there were times when I just didnt want to deal with it and I drove a SUV instead. DonQuiote seems like he has made a wise decision.
Three of the most hard core track guys I know have switched to the PDK after realizing its just a better alternative to a GT3 on a Daily basis. I wont mention their names but their names are in the next Sentence. What column has said the speed was better than the PDK? None that I know.
Look at Ferrari drivers -they are all gold wearing Corvette converts. SOME of them know what they are doing and yet Ferrari makes 90% or more F1s of each model. And the PDK is better than the F1.
Look at race cars. how many trannies are manual and even then they are sequential not true manuals,
to make it easier on the driver. WHY?

DonQuiote one solution is to get your PDK 911 and then get a GT3 996 version. They have be getting less and less expensive.
No debate here that PDK or any contemporary dual clutch is very efficient and faster than a traditional stick. For me the stick is more fun, but that's me. For me the GT3 is also more fun even if I am slower in it.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

PSM, PDK, TC, ABD, PASM, does nobody want to actually drive their "sports cars"? If you want to go fast with little effort, a GTR is your machine.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:41 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Noel you still have to think about shifting and brake points with the new cars. You can shut most of the stuff off. It works really well on the street.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:56 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Here's a solution for you: Get the GT3 plus an inexpensive daily runner. I have a 1995 Camry, in good condition, that I use when I'm not in the mood for the GT3, or when I'm going somewhere GT3 unfriendly. Of course this solution only makes sense if you still believe you will use the GT3 most of the time.
Excellent suggestion- exactly what I'm planning to do... Nissan to work and places where cars get trashed... GT3 everywhere else...
Old 07-27-2009, 10:02 AM
donquixote30
Intermediate

"Here's a solution for you: Get the GT3 plus an inexpensive daily runner. I have a 1995 Camry, in good condition, that I use when I'm not in the mood for the GT3, or when I'm going somewhere GT3 unfriendly. Of course this solution only makes sense if you still believe you will use the GT3 most of the time. You already have a Volvo, right?"

"Excellent suggestion- exactly what I'm planning to do... Nissan to work and places where cars get trashed... GT3 everywhere else..."

SeedGeek and 911rox,

Yes, I always intended to keep my Volvo to fulfill the "dirty daily duties." Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:23 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Paul, no pianist worth their salt would perform on a "player piano"...

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Noel you still have to think about shifting and brake points with the new cars. You can shut most of the stuff off. It works really well on the street.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:33 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Paul, no pianist worth their salt would perform on a "player piano"...
Noel I could play if it werent for my feet!
Old 07-27-2009, 02:37 PM
flash1034
Pro

I just ordered my new Guards Red 2010 GT3. I decided to get the ceramics when the chips were down. Ordered PCM with nav but no chrono. Also got full leather and the sport buckets and white gauges. Also ordered a few bling items such as the illuminated carbon fiber door sill guards which I had on my last gt3 and really liked. Got an October build with dynamic engine mounts and front lift system too.

Flash
Old 07-27-2009, 02:54 PM
diethelm
Intermediate

It is a perfectly useable street car and no more overpowered or harsh than any of the other competing models from different makes. The fact is that you should get what you want. I understand the arguments that it is more car than necessary for the road but I would prefer Catrinel Menghia over Marge Simpson even though Marge is perfectly fine.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:58 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by diethelm
It is a perfectly useable street car and no more overpowered or harsh than any of the other competing models from different makes. The fact is that you should get what you want. I understand the arguments that it is more car than necessary for the road but I would prefer Catrinel Menghia over Marge Simpson even though Marge is perfectly fine.
Very well put, however, I don't know that I'd consider Marge; maybe Lois, Peter's wife. She's kinda hot!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:02 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by flash1034
I just ordered my new Guards Red 2010 GT3. I decided to get the ceramics when the chips were down. Ordered PCM with nav but no chrono. Also got full leather and the sport buckets and white gauges. Also ordered a few bling items such as the illuminated carbon fiber door sill guards which I had on my last gt3 and really liked. Got an October build with dynamic engine mounts and front lift system too.

Flash
Congrats! Mine is a Nov. build. I think these cars can and should be ordered however creature comfy one likes. It does not take one thing from the car's incredible potential.

Nice to hear that you like the Carbon Sills. I didn't go illuminated, but did go with carbon. Even though the new steels are bigger and lighter and floating, those ceramics with the new buttons are beautiful.

Be sure to order XDZ with full leather. Just my opinion.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:46 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
997 gt3 is a street car that can be tracked once in a while. it took me a long time to realize why it is just a street car and nothing more.
Hey Mooty, Can you explain what you mean by this? I understand that it is a street car, though a harsh one at that. What I do not get is the "can be tracked once in a while" part. I am curious about this perspective.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 2010 GT3 for street driving purposes only?