Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Would you buy a 2010 GT3 for street driving purposes only?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:33 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
911Dev wrote:

Dude 996 GT3 385 hp 295 ft lbs Tq
997.2 C2S PDk 385 hp 310 Tq

the C2S with PDK is faster than a 996 GT3 and faster per driver than the 997 GT3
True but the 996 was last built in 2004, maybe '05. It took 4-5 years for the evolution of the 997 to catch up and that's with PDK. PDK shouldn't be added to the mix unless someone really wants it. There are countless drivers -currently probably 50/50- out there who still want a true manual, so the only real comparison should be apples to apples. So yeah, 04/05 996 GT3 has similar power to the 2009 C2S and better torque but it took a few years. The OP was not talking about pure speed, he asked if a GT3 may return more of a pure sports car experience. A C2S (MKII) PDK may be faster than a slow GT3 MKI driver, but he/she won't be faster than than an experienced driver nor will they be faster than a MKII GT3 and slower still if they don't have the PDK advantage. All great cars and I'm glad you love yours after having a 997 GT3, but let's face it, some like it more raw even if argueably slower.

For me the choice was very, very difficult as I had to decide between a 2009/10 C2S or 2010 GT3. I went GT3 because of all of my aforementioned blabbering and because when I added PSE, SPASM to a speculated 2010 C2S base price with similar options to the GT3, it made much more sense to me. Yes, I could have found a left over/discounted 2009 C2Ss but I didn't find any the way I wanted and the 2010s may be a bit more scarce. The GT3 as you know will have the new bigger, better, lighter brakes, wheels, a better sport exhaust and suspension with a wicked cool purposeful aerokit so the price disparity wasn't large enough for me to consider a C2S when the GT opt came up. PDK isn't currently appealing enough for me to go that route; maybe later when and if PAG adds paddles.

Last edited by 911dev; 07-26-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by triode
I asked him this some time ago - a lingerie model named Catrinel Menghia...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I'm sure you asked this to: IS SHE SINGLE???!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy freaking Batman, I feel like I'm cheating on my fiance.

Last edited by 911dev; 07-26-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm buying mine with an emphasis on the street with 3 to 4 track days a year. It will be a weekend/day off car. I love spirited (but responsible for the PC police) motoring on back country roads on the weekends. It's therapy.

Can't wait to hear the growl and experience the feel of the new GT-3.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:37 AM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

I sold my C2S shortly after placing my depsoit for a 2010 GT3. I had invested an insane amount of money in that car to get it to perform on the track on par with stock GT3's. To get there meant getting rid of lots of weight (stereo/speakers, a/c, stock seats, exhaust, some carpet, etc) and going to work on the suspension. It really became a street legal (barely) track car. It clearly wasn't and couldn't be a daily driver but was a kick on the 10 -12 track events a year I get to.

I looked at the 09 C2S, which is a much more capable platform than the C2S I started with, but decided that the GT3 still offered me a more purpose built car for street and track use. It won't be a daily driver, but will get regular street use including day and weekend trips. I also don't intend to do lots of mods for track performance...half cage, harness, toe steer kit, allingment and an extra set of wheels/tires. Who knows, my wife may even want to ride in it again
Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MKII GT3 seems to have gone back to being hardcore, which probably means it will feel more at home on track than on the streets.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:49 PM
lig
Racer

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
More fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
+1

I could not own a GT3 without wanting to take it to the track.

My C2S is primarily a street car - I have the S2000 for the track. If you crave a crazy connected feel to your car I'd suggest driving a Lotus Elise or Exige. Super light and you definitely feel "one with the car"
Old 07-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I'm sure you asked this to: IS SHE SINGLE???!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy freaking Batman, I feel like I'm cheating on my fiance.
Married to Massimo Brambatti, ex-football (soccer) player. Not sure if he drives a Porsche.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:47 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Having owned 5 different Porsches ranging from an all-out race prepared 964 to a 997 GT3 (with a couple C2S and a Boxster S in the mix), I can say "Absolutely Not" to your question. Why buy a track oriented car for street only? One of the reasons I sold my GT3 was to go back to having a street friendly car, my 09 C2S. The GT3 is absolutely a wonderful car and even with 10+ track days a year with it, the "bad street manners" were over powering. So in the end I determined that having an 09 C2S w/ Sport Pasm, Sport seats, GT3 Cup control arms / street-track alignment, SRF fluid, pad swap for track, and wheel / tire swap as well I really did get the best of all worlds. The C2S is a great daily street driver and on par with the 997 GT3 on the track (just look at the Ring times for 997.1 GT3 and 997.2 C2S and you'll see what I mean). I contemplated keeping my GT3 as a track only car, which is what it ended up being after 6 months of ownership, but driving the Audi everywhere but the track was bothering me. The GT3 on the street was rough, I scraped everywhere here in CT, etc. so it wasn't much fun. Now I suppose it depends on the location, but here where I live a GT3 as a daily driver just doesn't work well.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:42 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

After reading through this thread a few things are clear:

- If you live in a place with *really* bad roads, a C2S will clearly be better than a GT3 for daily use.
- If you spend hours in bumper-to-bumper traffic, PDK beats the GT3's clutch.
- If you want your daily car to be a comfortable means of transport, get a C2S rather than a GT3, or better still, get a Lexus.
- If, OTOH, you crave the feel of a hardcore sports car more than you crave comfort and quiet, the GT3 is hands down the best choice. Unlike a Lotus Exige, the GT3 remains more than acceptably comfortable and utilitarian while still providing a racecar feel, even at low speeds.

If, like me, you are in that last category, the GT3 simply rules! I cannot get enough of my car and it only sees very occasional track time. I cannot imagine being in anything else every day. The C2S, as excellent as it is, simply does not feel like a GT3.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:03 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

^ +1
Old 07-26-2009, 04:55 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
After reading through this thread a few things are clear:

- If you live in a place with *really* bad roads, a C2S will clearly be better than a GT3 for daily use.
- If you spend hours in bumper-to-bumper traffic, PDK beats the GT3's clutch.
- If you want your daily car to be a comfortable means of transport, get a C2S rather than a GT3, or better still, get a Lexus.
- If, OTOH, you crave the feel of a hardcore sports car more than you crave comfort and quiet, the GT3 is hands down the best choice. Unlike a Lotus Exige, the GT3 remains more than acceptably comfortable and utilitarian while still providing a racecar feel, even at low speeds.

If, like me, you are in that last category, the GT3 simply rules! I cannot get enough of my car and it only sees very occasional track time. I cannot imagine being in anything else every day. The C2S, as excellent as it is, simply does not feel like a GT3.
Amen, brother.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:08 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by 911dev
Love the pic of your RS in your avatar, very nice ride.
Thanks. I love the look of the 996 RS.

More pics of my car here: 996 RS

Old 07-26-2009, 06:21 PM
green
Pro

Great pics!! Awesome RS you got there.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:48 PM
TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a motorsport-type feel, you need a GT3. The new C2S is a great car, and fast, but it's not intended to give the driver that focused, track car feel.

I would not hesitate buying a 2010 GT3 for road use. I had a 997.1 GT3 and used it entirely on the road. True, I couldn't enjoy it to its full potential - road limitations are frustrating - but I enjoyed the car very much. The experience is what's important to me.. the feel of the controls and chassis, the sounds, etc. Plus, the GT3's powerband is so special. The way it pulls up top just puts it in a different league.. race car stuff. The last 1500 rpm is magic. If this is the type of stuff you like, you'll be happier with a GT3. The car looks great, too.

Now, would I want a GT3 as my sole means of transportation.. not really. IMO, it's better for pleasure use (it's low, firm, etc.). It can be used as a dd, but a C2S is better.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:07 PM
donquixote30
Intermediate

Wooow! You guys are terrific. Have managed to present very solid arguments on both sides of the equation. I agree with all of you and that's my dilemma. Reason suggests that when in doubt, the answer should be NO. Suffering from occasional arthritis pain on my knees doesn't help either. Particularly for someone, who although having a young spirit, is much older than our buddy, OldGuy. Yet, the GT3 remains a very tempting option. . . Thanks a million!

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 2010 GT3 for street driving purposes only?