Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How comfortable are the P03 sport bucket seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How comfortable are the P03 sport bucket seats?

Hi,

Relative to the standard sport seats, how comfortable are the P03 seats?

I'm not concerned about the width, but more with the amount of padding on bottom and back, for a sometimes fragile low back.

I've always found the standard sport seats perfect in comfort. Firm, not overly so.

The car will see mainly street time, my concern is for a two hour ride or so.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:22 PM
YseanY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally, i do not find the P03 sports seat uncomfortable at all, at least not in the driver's seat. but i have rode in these seats as the passenger and for some reason, it does not feel that great. but with a fragile low back, i do not think it would be very suitable. best bet is probably to go try one out at the dealer.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:35 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a drive over to Prestige Porsche in Lakewood.
Their inventory shows that they have a C4S "Launch Car" that is equipped with the P03 Sport Bucket Seats.
Best that you give them a try personally...BTW their ingress and egress is a bit different as well.

I asked TeamDrugMoney for his impressions on his trip, his reply was they are just fine, even on longer stints.

BTW they are not sofa comfortable but do hold you in place.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:06 PM
diethelm
Intermediate

I tried both seats and decided on the adaptive sport seats (PO1). Given it will be a daily driver and used for road trips, the problem with the PO3's were as follows:

They rake does not adjust and for the driver they are fine. However for the passenger, they are very upright. As a passenger, they would be very uncomfortable and unadjustable for a road trip.

The side bolsters are very tall and as a daily driver will wear and need to be redone on a periodic basis.

The wife hated them and so, if I got them, I would be stuck driving other cars to San Diego and/or Vegas which would not be my preference.

Mr. Jones is correct, try both from the passenger and the driver side.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:12 PM
green
Pro

Tried both, decided to go with the standard sport seats.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:47 AM
hansw
Advanced

i ordered my 2008 GT2 with the bucket seats. i found my seat to be a bit too upright as delivered(seatback doesn't recline) so I shimmed it up about a quarter inch in front (shims under the tracks and an appropriate number of shims where the front bolts tie down the seat tracks at an angle to the floor). Worked out perfectly. I've driven the car as long as eight hours with only a brief stop for food and gas stops. I was perfectly comfortable if a little stiff when getting out of the car because the seat doesn't allow for much of any movement. No pain, no discomfort while driving.

My wife, on the other hand, tried but couldn't live with the passenger seat. Too tight at the hips. No way to change the back angle on a long drive and to shift weight a little. So I got her a brand new manual sport seat out of an 08 GT3RS (I wanted it to be as light as possible). I had it recovered with new leather to match the natural gray leather and red stitching in my car. It was a big pain finding the right materials; Porsche refused to supply the materials. Porsche reasoned that since my car didn't originally come with the sport seats, but with the buckets, they wouldn't supply any spare parts for a sport seat.

I still have the driver's seat, by the way, and would like to sell it. Black leather, black Alcantara, orange stitching. Let me, anyone, if interested.

The result is perfect after all this trouble. We've taken long trips to Arizona and Northern California in the car and both of us have been perfectly comfortable. I did the same thing with my first Porsche, a 1970 911S, ordered from Dick Barbour in San Diego. Had a Recaro bucket for the drive and a Recaro sport seat for my wife.

Makes me wonder why car companies don't offer the option of different seats for driver and passenger. After all, they have different needs -- and different body dimensions.

Quick Reply: How comfortable are the P03 sport bucket seats?