Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Where are you guys buying Akrapovic systems?

Old 01-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by M-M
This is a forum for people that have and can spend that kind of money (passion) if you don´t understand that you never will and it´s no reason to explain it for you.
I think you have completely mis-understood my post. Which one of us should try again?
Old 01-16-2010, 03:02 PM
prosper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Calm down, guy. The answer is simple -- I'm unfamiliar with the akrapovic product and my googling only led me to motorcycle exhausts. I didn't find the information you're yelling at me for not including. So I asked here, like any normal person would do.

No amount of CAPITAL LETTERS will change the fact that my posts to this thread are more on-topic than your stories about importing Aprila motorcycles. Besides, topic drift happens. If you're uncomfortable with that fact you shouldn't be participating on internet discussion forums.

No, actually, I don't. But I'm not sure which is why I asked.

Please stop calling me unethical. There is absolutely no cause for that sort of insulting behavior on your part. It's offensive.
You said you are UNFAMILIAR with Akrapovic product ?
but if you google Akrapovic, and when you go into their official website (like you can do with Sharkwerks website),
you will be able to see right away there are two menu.
One for Car and one for Bike.

Second, I was asked by other people here (INCLUDING YOU) what make Akrapovic better than other to justify the price, and me mentioning my Aprilia business is to show IN DETAIL to you and other
that I had experience with Akrapovic product before. hey you asked for explanation,
and I give it to you,
but this explanation is actually not needed if you are not OFF TOPIC from the start.

and yes, I am calling you UNETHICAL, simply because you able to put TWO WEBSITE LINK of
Sharkwerk website while fail to put a single website link to Akrapovic.
I am not doing that to INSULT you, and I don't want to Insult you,but if you find that OFFENSIVE,
I do also find it OFFENSIVE for you to put TWO WEBSITE LINK on Sharkswerks while fail to put any website link on Akrapovic.

If you are willing to take out those website link and erase your post completely,
I will be glad to erase all my post here too.

I respect you as a human, but I call you UNETHICAL only and just only from Business Point of View.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:04 PM
prosper
Instructor

This are the evolution RACE exhaust system pictures

Old 01-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by prosper
I respect you as a human, but I call you UNETHICAL only and just only from Business Point of View.
You're way out of line here and It would appear that we have nothing further to discuss then. Sorry to everyone else for dragging this out.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:11 PM
prosper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nugget
You're way out of line here and It would appear that we have nothing further to discuss then. Sorry to everyone else for dragging this out.
You're way out of line when:
1. You post OFF TOPIC post here, when the starter of this thread is simply ask for distributor of Akrapovic in USA
2. You post TWO WEBSITE link of Sharkwerks but fail to even show a single website link to Akrapovic website, and you even claim you had google and can only find motorcycle info...
If you really went into Akrapovic website, their homepage clearly show they have 2 separate division,
bike and car. If you are able to put a TWO link of Sharkwerks website, and one of the link goes directly to the Sharkwerks product that you are pointing out, why you fail to find that Akrapovic website had MUCH MORE DETAILED INFO about their product ?

and I am happy if you want to discuss it more here, infact we can took this debate to the Administrator of Rennlist if you like, and then we can see the final result.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Md11skipper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prosper,

No I am not a Doctor I used to pilot MD11 - MacDonnel Douglas 11 aircraft (now A300) but I have seen a lot of my colleagues die over the years. Only a few of them via aircraft accidents but mostly medical problems.
When I started my profession about 25 years ago, I got to know a lot of senior crew members who worked themselves to the ground with a ....load of money in the bank yet they were unhappy and dissatisfied.
Back then I decided to built the basics first, great place to live, family (crash landed there), live life large via adventures all over the globe and health.
Part of building and maintaining is health, physically and mentally. My GT3 RS definitely contributes a great deal to it, this car makes me very happy in many different ways.
The exhaust sound adds a great deal of satisfaction to the ownership of my car. I am sure the sharkwerks is one of the best sounding exhausts out there but since the Akrapovic is the gold standard in exhausts (they own 55% of the aftermarket motorcycle exhaust market in the world), the craftsmanship is the best I have ever seen in every respect, they make the GT2 system and the 2010 RS rear muffler and their main distributor in Germany Wolfgang Dietz who represents Akrapovic in Europe is a class act. He loves the company and all their products and swears by them, so I had to have Akrapovic.
When I installed the system, it was like installing a stock Porsche system, perfect fit and finish!
Drivability, like stock, no spikes in the power curve but steady increase till redline, throttle response fantastic, sound second to none. Fun and satisfaction in having the best of the best is extremely gratifying.

In comparison to some of my colleagues, I spend my money well on things that make ME happy which for me is the best investment there is in life. Whatever makes you happy go for it, life is good and will be even better if you spend your money on whatever turns you on.

My 2 cents

Hi MD11skipper,

I totally agree with you.
are you a Medical Doctor ?
if you are, I understand how you feel too.
I mean as doctor you must had seen many people pass away.
and we only live once, and hopefully while we still healthy and can enjoy our stuff,
and most importantly can afford to buy it,
why not ? right ? as long as it make us Happy

You only live once ! (at least that is what I believe )
Old 01-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

First of all, I am comparing Rolex to a Casio, not Rolex to Akrapovic.
My point is, the cost of Akrapovic might not make sense to you,
but to some other people, the cost of Akrapovic does make sense.
and, as you said above, you would love to own an Akrapovic exhaust for your car,
but you prefer to buy it used.
so if nobody is buying new Akrapovic, how do you expect you will someday be able to buy a used one from ?
Sorry my bad on the Rolex to Akrapovic example..I apologize. The only point i was trying to make is that all aftermarket parts depreciate. Nothing more nothing less

The cost makes 100% total sense to me....I just choose not to spend >10k for it.....more power to those of you that do....enjoy it and again if you want to recoup any money for it when you sell your car...pm me
Old 01-16-2010, 08:21 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Is it my imagination or does the level of forum stress in general seem to be higher than usual? Many threads seem a lot less happy-go-lucky and more stressy these days. More societal acrimony due to financial turmoil I guess?

And goddammit nugget! stop posting sharky links!

hehehe

Old 01-16-2010, 10:18 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

If anyone is really interested in any Akrapovic system, I personally know a direct distributer in Europe that can ship worldwide. I can reffer you and the price is much lower than those advertised.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Originally Posted by savyboy
Is it my imagination or does the level of forum stress in general seem to be higher than usual? Many threads seem a lot less happy-go-lucky and more stressy these days. More societal acrimony due to financial turmoil I guess?

And goddammit nugget! stop posting sharky links!

hehehe

"SOCIETAL ACRIMONY" what a term .....
with your permission I may use this term Monday with my VP of Sales.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 PM
MGS996
Racer

Originally Posted by JMD0977
If anyone is really interested in any Akrapovic system, I personally know a direct distributer in Europe that can ship worldwide. I can reffer you and the price is much lower than those advertised.
Thanks JMD0977, can you please post or PM me your contacts details.

Cheers

Mark
Old 01-16-2010, 11:35 PM
MGS996
Racer

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Mark, please make the distinction whose "engineering quality" you are reffering to ? You are talking about Cargraphic's stuff, made by their facility Phoenix in the UK..... All RS Tuning have done for you is put their software on your ECU (eventually )
Toby, re ‘engineering quality’ only relates to the design & manufacturing quality of the CG components, namely the headers & cats. RS Tuning quickly addressed the ECU glitch, not problems since.

I’ll get the cat/s issue sorted….it’s only an issue of time, money & patience. I’ll use the next few days to research the options available to me…..hopefully by then I'll get my patience back.

Lesson # 1. Do not disengage Traction Control. Almost put the car in the forest last night....this thing now comes on boost ultra quick.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:36 AM
prosper
Instructor

I am exploring Sharkwerks website
because I am curious on the new Track Exhaust from Sharkwerks,
and I bump into an interesting product that is sold by Sharkwerks.
it is a TITANIUM GT3 Exhaust Tips made by Tubi,
and turn out, the Tips alone cost $1,350 !

so no wonder Akrapovic Evolution RACE system had MSRP of almost $10,000.
because that RACE system had EVERYTHING including the Header/Manifold completely made from Titanium.
If Sharkwerks made their exhaust from Titanium, I am sure their price will be much much higher too.
I mean, just take a look at the amount of Titanium needed to make that Tubi Exhaust Tips and it's price of $1,350...
I think the amount of Titanium used by Akrapovic for their race exhaust at least 20 times the amount on that Tubi exhaust tips alone,
and wouldn't it actually make it 20x$1,350 = $27,000 ???
but of course it does not work that way,
and at $10,000 for the amount of Titanium used to produce, the price start to look reasonable.
(reasonable compare to the Tubi Titanium Tips that is, but of course still high compare to Stainless Steel).

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=246

Tubi Titanium GT3 Exhaust Tips
Product Type: Exhaust
Application: 997 GT3 | 997 GT3RS 2010 997 GT3

Price:$ 1350

» Ready to buy? Click here!

Tubi has manufactured direct bolt-on/replacement tips for any 997 GT3 running either the factory exhaust or indeed our popular bypass set up. These larger diameter (90mm vs the factory 81mm) tips are made from high-grade Titanium and sport "rolled-style" ends.

Shown installed:

Last edited by prosper; 01-17-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:43 AM
prosper
Instructor

Now, Sharkwerks also sell a Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips which is their own product.
and it only cost $350.

so basically the Titanium tips by Tubi are $1350/$350 = 3.86 times more expensive than
Sharkwerks stainless steel tips, and again both item are sold by sharkwerks.

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=173

SharkWerks RS Light Weight Exhaust Tips
Application: 997 GT3 997 GT3RS

Price:$ 350

Last edited by prosper; 01-17-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:58 AM
prosper
Instructor

Now I am going to focus on Sharkwerks Newly Release GT3 Track Exhaust.
I had read many review and many satisfied owner/user of this latest product from Sharkwerks,
and personally I am CONVINCED that this is indeed a GREAT PRODUCT with GREAT Value for the money,
but let "investigate" how come the price of this Great Product from Sharkwerks can be so much cheaper than Akrapovic Race Exhaust.

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=255

Shark Werks 997 GT3 Track Exhaust
Application: 997 GT3 | 997 GT3RS 2010 997 GT3

Price:$ 2595

» Ready to buy? Click here!

The Shark Werks 997 GT3 Track Exhaust system, which has been designed, developed and tested on our 2007 997 GT3RS (ZKERMIT) and 2010 997 GT3 shop cars, dramatically reduces the weight in the rear by 57 pounds. Utilizing two lightweight stainless steel race mufflers (each weighing two pounds) and three inch stainless steel piping, the entire system weighs eleven pounds and looks much akin to a Cup car set up. Installation is made easy via the use of stainless steel CNC'd flanges. Factory clamps and ceramic seals are retained for an OEM seal at the header/catalyst junction.

Uncorked with our Track Exhaust the GT3 engine delivers a very aggressive Cup car-like sound. This system is very loud on the outside as well as the inside and is hence intended for use at the track. For daily driven street cars we recommend using our street-aimed Bypass Exhaust instead. When using the SharkWerks track exhaust, we highly recommend doing so in conjunction with the EVOMSit software tuning for optimal performance.

Features
- Cup car derived, VERY aggressive sporty sound (see videos)
- Real 57 pound weight savings from the rear of the car
- Aggressive slash-cut 3" tips
- 18 gauge T304 tungsten inert gas welded stainless steel
- Designed in-house and manufactured in the US
- Does not interfere with emissions and 50 state legal
- Factory headers and catalysts retained (no Check Engine Lights)
- Direct bolt-on replacing factory center and side mufflers
- Fits the 2007-2008 997 GT3/GT3RS & 2010 Model GT3s

Dyno Chart

Top to bottom shown are:
-EVOMSit Software with Shark Werks Track Exhaust
-EVOMSit Software only
-Factory stock 2010 GT3

The tuning involves a more aggressive fuel map, timing advance optimization for specific grades of fuel, and a more responsive accelerator pedal.

Summary:
With software only, the 2010 GT3 went from 392 RWHP to 404 RWHP at the peak. The car gained about this much horsepower for most of its RPM range.

The car gained over 10 ft-lb of torque at its peak around 6600 RPM and more torque throughout the RPM range.

With the exhaust and software, the gains were higher, bringing it up to 414 RWHP at the peak (22 RWHP net gain), more torque at the peak, and a large gain in torque between 3700 and 5400 RPMs.

Now if you see the MSRP of Sharkwerks Track exhaust, it is already at $2,595,
and if you multiply 3.86 times of that you will get $10,009 or
exactly the MSRP of Akrapovic RACE exhaust !!!
so by using the Tubi Titanium vs Sharkwerks Stainless Steel exhaust tips ratio alone,
it will already show the price of Akrapovic is reasonable.

I also want to point out that Sharkwerks still use factory original Manifold/header,
while Akrapovic change the Manifold/header with Titanium, so the amount of titanium material used by Akrapovic is already much more than the amount of stainless steel material use by Sharkwerks...

This picture below will clearly show the different on the amount of material used :

This is Sharkwerks Track Exhaust picture:

This is Akrapovic Race Exhaust picture:

for Weight Saving:
Sharkwerks Track Exhaust with original factory header save 57 pounds,

Akrapovic Race Exhaust with new Titanium header save 29kg (roughly 63.8 pounds)

so you can see that despite that huge Akrapovic exhaust muffler, the whole system from Akrapovic
still weight less than the Sharkwerks Track exhaust.

when it come to performance, it is hard to compare because they are not dyno at the same dyno,
and Sharkwerks dyno result is combine with Software Update,
while Akrapovic do not update the software.

and here it is:
Sharkwerks:
With the exhaust and software, the gains were higher, bringing it up to 414 RWHP at the peak (22 RWHP net gain), more torque at the peak, and a large gain in torque between 3700 and 5400 RPMs.

Akrapovic:
* plus 16.5 PS (approx. 4,490 rpm.)
* 23 Nm plus (approx. 4,128 rpm)

again, the only comparison that really valid is the weight comparison,
the dyno comparison is not really valid since it was not done on the same dyno at the same time,
plus Sharkwerks had advantage of software update.

and just to show how software update alone can add gain,
here is the spec from Sharkwerks showing how high a software update alone can help with Horsepower:
With software only, the 2010 GT3 went from 392 RWHP to 404 RWHP at the peak. The car gained about this much horsepower for most of its RPM range.
The car gained over 10 ft-lb of torque at its peak around 6600 RPM and more torque throughout the RPM range.

now with software update by Sharkwerks alone, the gain is already 404 RWHP - 392 RWHP = 12RWHP.
with software and Track exhaust by Sharwerks, the gain is at 414 RWHP.
so if we just used some rough estimation, the net gain from Sharkwerks Track Exhaust alone should be 414 RWHP - 404 RWHP = 10 RWHP only.
so the software gain is actually more (at 12hp compare to stocks) than the Track exhaust gain (only 10hp more).

still to be fair, the Akrapovic website do show 16.5ps gain but it is measured not at the peak,
still again Akrapovic gain is done WITHOUT any software update.
so conclusion is, this Great Product need to be measured at the same time using the same Dyno for valid comparison.
and also measured both with stock software and later with optimized software for each product.

Price wise, Akrapovic is 4 times the price of Sharkwerks.
Performance, I have a feeling they are almost equal to each other, with maybe Akrapovic win just a bit more due to their custom header/exhaust manifold.

But if you look at the Two Pictures above,
it is clear why Akrapovic is 4 times more expensive than Sharkwerks,

just as clear as if you put picture of Rolex and Casio side by side and justify why Rolex is much more expensive than Casio.

Still if you are looking at the LOUDEST Sound, there is NO DOUBT that Sharkwerks Track Exhaust will WIN the contest, and will be MUCH LOUDER than Akrapovic race one, and that reason alone will no doubt make Sharkwerks the winner choice among customer who want the LOUDEST sound from their GT3 RS.

Last edited by prosper; 01-17-2010 at 07:36 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where are you guys buying Akrapovic systems?