Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Where are you guys buying Akrapovic systems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Smindustries
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are you guys buying Akrapovic systems?

Several years ago, I bought a titanium Akrapovic header for my motorcycle and loved it. Akrapovic's site doesn't list a US retailer for car systems, so I called the vendor from which I bought my motorcycle system. They did some digging and presented me with the following. Are these prices in line with what others are charging? I'm very tempted to order the 'Evolution Race System':

Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

FVD Bombacher were advertising Akrapovic exhaust earlier in the year but I sent them a few emails a while back and never heard back. Search this forum under Akrapovic and you'll find all her earlier posts. Here are the contact details listed. Let me know how you make out.

FVD Brombacher, LLC.

Dansk North America

Rhonda Roxburgh
Toll Free: 1-800-274-2220 ext 14
Fax: 954-571-2060
Email: rhonda@fvd.us

Visit the WORLDS LARGEST Porsche Online Shop at www.fvd.us for over 35,000 parts!!

Visit the Dansk North America Website www.danskus.com
Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Bulletproofautomotive.com is an Akrapovic dealer. I've been considering the Sports Cup system.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:01 AM
MGS996
Racer

Anyone on the forum installed either the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust system (headers/cats/muffler package) or the Akrapovic Slip on race System (cats/muffler) ?

Cheers
Old 01-16-2010, 12:48 AM
Md11skipper
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed an Akrapovic Evolution Race system on my 2007 RS and I could not be happier with it. Smindustries, the $10000 quote for the Evo Race system is a super price I believe.
Check out my post under: Report on my Akrapovic Evolution Race exhaust
Let me know if you have any questions, good luck
Old 01-16-2010, 01:58 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

$10K would buy a sharky bypass or a track exhaust and whole hell of a lot of track tires. What's the appeal of the Akrapovic? It's five times more expensive than the alternatives. I'm not challenging the notion, just asking. That's a huge price differential.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:14 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

FVD. They got all the goods.

sharkwerks is you best bet however. you will get get same performance and you wont get your pants pulled down when it comes time to resale.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:21 AM
MGS996
Racer

Originally Posted by Nugget
$10K would buy a sharky bypass or a track exhaust and whole hell of a lot of track tires. What's the appeal of the Akrapovic? It's five times more expensive than the alternatives. I'm not challenging the notion, just asking. That's a huge price differential.
Yesterday I fitted my recently purchased RS Tuning / Cargraphic 600PS package on my 997 GT2. The fit quality and engineering quality is very questionable. In fitting the system I needed to split the right hand side cat and re weld to ensure correct alignment. Now today I have noticed a small exhaust leak on the left hand cat at one of weld seams Do I now remove the cat and re weld or just scrap the complete system and start again with a quality product?
I have a Europipe S2 on my 996TT, engineering is first class but they do not make a Ti system for the 997 GT2, only SST.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:24 AM
MGS996
Racer

Originally Posted by Md11skipper
I installed an Akrapovic Evolution Race system on my 2007 RS and I could not be happier with it. Smindustries, the $10000 quote for the Evo Race system is a super price I believe.
Check out my post under: Report on my Akrapovic Evolution Race exhaust
Let me know if you have any questions, good luck
Thanks, great write up.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:00 AM
prosper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nugget
following your logic, people will also ask, why do you buy a $150,000 GT3 RS,
when for much less money you can buy Corvette ZR1 or Nissan GTR ?

yes the price of GT3 RS is not 5 times the price of GTR or ZR1,
but in ABSOLUTE dollar term the different between GT3 RS price and ZR1/GTR is much bigger than the difference between Akrapovic and Sharkwerks exhaust.

everybody have their own preference.
of course there is no doubt that Sharkwerks give you the best bang for the buck.
and Sharkwerks product also have Very Good Quality/Performance.

but sometimes, people want to buy the most expensive things for them to enjoy,
and if they can afford to, why not ?
There are times, when I can afford to spent,
I want to buy the most expensive things available,
and sometimes when money is tight, I will have to settle to what I can afford at that particular time.

Your post, is similar to people asking why buy Rolex when the digital Casio actually more accurate and much cheaper...
and wouldn't you be disappointed, if a GTR owner said that you are just wasting your money buying a GT3 RS, when his GTR can do the same thing at much lower price ?
Do you then feel the need to point out to that GTR owner how your car "feel" and "communicate" differently compare to his GTR ?
and that different in "feel" make you think it is worth it to spend $70,000 more to buy GT3 RS instead of the GTR ?

Remember Akrapovic is using Titanium for their exhaust,
plus you always paid for that "brand" premium,
like when you paid for your Porsche brand premium against a Nissan GTR or Corvette ZR1
and of course Titanium is much more expensive than stainless steel.

This thread was started as a thread to ask for help finding distributor who sell Akrapovic,
and instead of helping you basically BASHING Akrapovic.
That is NOT Ethical.
if you want to give advise to the thread starter on more value for the money alternative,
you can always us Private Messaging, or you can write in a nicer way.
You even had link to sharkswerks website,
but do you remember to give links to Akrapovic website, so people can really compare the different side by side?

and have you ever hold Akrapovic Titanium pipe and than hold Sharkswerks Stainless Steel pipe ?
Try it, and you will feel the "different" between Titanium and Stainless Steel.
Is that "different" justify the price differential ?
well it is up to the people who want to spend their money to decide.

If you are really trying to help the thread starter, maybe you can help him finding the distributor for Akrapovic instead

Last edited by prosper; 01-16-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: to make it more clear !
Old 01-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

No offense, I am not sure comparing a Rolex to a Akrapovic Exhaust system is anywhere close to the same thing......not to cause trouble...
reason ...the rolex will keep it's value the exhaust system won't....Ti or not
Akrapovic is top quality stuff, (I have used their pipes on MX Bikes)and I applaud folks that can go spend this kind of money and not bat an eye. I would love to have one on my GT3 but cost over >10 -12k or more really does not justify the cost to sound ratio to me either.
Now if one of you Akrapovic owners want to sell a used one please pm me....a rememeber depreciation on After Market anything is high high high.....and you will not get anymore for it when you sell your car with it!
Old 01-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Md11skipper
Rennlist Member

prosper, you spoke my mind!
Owning a GT3 RS is a love affair, I did not buy this car based on logic and neither did I buy Akrapovic on logic I bought it because it is the best there is in every respect for me and and my twisted value system.
The loss of value with the Akrapovic system is tremendous but so is the loss of value with the car. If I look at the current prices for a RS, I lost 50k in a year but I did not buy the car or any aftermarket part as a $ investment, I bought it strictly for fun and excitement and Akrapovic added more to it than I could have imagined.

Originally Posted by prosper
following your logic, people will also ask, why do you buy a $150,000 GT3 RS,
when for much less money you can buy Corvette ZR1 or Nissan GTR ?

yes the price of GT3 RS is not 5 times the price of GTR or ZR1,
but in ABSOLUTE dollar term the different between GT3 RS price and ZR1/GTR is much bigger than the difference between Akrapovic and Sharkwerks exhaust.

everybody have their own preference.
of course there is no doubt that Sharkwerks give you the best bang for the buck.
and Sharkwerks product also have Very Good Quality/Performance.

but sometimes, people want to buy the most expensive things for them to enjoy,
and if they can afford to, why not ?
There are times, when I can afford to spent,
I want to buy the most expensive things available,
and sometimes when money is tight, I will have to settle to what I can afford at that particular time.

Your post, is similar to people asking why buy Rolex when the digital Casio actually more accurate and much cheaper...
and wouldn't you be disappointed, if a GTR owner said that you are just wasting your money buying a GT3 RS, when his GTR can do the same thing at much lower price ?
Do you then feel the need to point out to that GTR owner how your car "feel" and "communicate" differently compare to his GTR ?
and that different in "feel" make you think it is worth it to spend $70,000 more to buy GT3 RS instead of the GTR ?

Remember Akrapovic is using Titanium for their exhaust,
plus you always paid for that "brand" premium,
like when you paid for your Porsche brand premium against a Nissan GTR or Corvette ZR1
and of course Titanium is much more expensive than stainless steel.

This thread was started as a thread to ask for help finding distributor who sell Akrapovic,
and instead of helping you basically BASHING Akrapovic.
That is NOT Ethical.
if you want to give advise to the thread starter on more value for the money alternative,
you can always us Private Messaging, or you can write in a nicer way.
You even had link to sharkswerks website,
but do you remember to give links to Akrapovic website, so people can really compare the different side by side?

and have you ever hold Akrapovic Titanium pipe and than hold Sharkswerks Stainless Steel pipe ?
Try it, and you will feel the "different" between Titanium and Stainless Steel.
Is that "different" justify the price differential ?
well it is up to the people who want to spend their money to decide.

If you are really trying to help the thread starter, maybe you can help him finding the distributor for Akrapovic instead
Old 01-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't have an Akrapovic exhaust on my RS, but I do on my M3. The quality and fitment is as good as I've seen.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:59 PM
savyboy
Drifting

FVD has not sold Akrapovic systems for a while now, about 8 months. So that is a bad lead. Rhonda can't help you with sourcing Akrapovic.

FVD however IS testing some new GT3RS systems, and of course, they will offer Titanium and the usual FVD quality. You might want to wait and compare the two.

All I have read about the Akrapovic systems is positive and that it seems to be very high quality, but always smart to compare choices.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:34 PM
prosper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
No offense, I am not sure comparing a Rolex to a Akrapovic Exhaust system is anywhere close to the same thing......not to cause trouble...
reason ...the rolex will keep it's value the exhaust system won't....Ti or not
Akrapovic is top quality stuff, (I have used their pipes on MX Bikes)and I applaud folks that can go spend this kind of money and not bat an eye. I would love to have one on my GT3 but cost over >10 -12k or more really does not justify the cost to sound ratio to me either.
Now if one of you Akrapovic owners want to sell a used one please pm me....a rememeber depreciation on After Market anything is high high high.....and you will not get anymore for it when you sell your car with it!
First of all, I am comparing Rolex to a Casio, not Rolex to Akrapovic.
and I am sure you can buy used Rolex cheaper than brand new in the box Rolex. so there is depreciation,... some Rolex model depreciate worse, some hold it's value better.
I could always pick other example outside Rolex,...
and I do use GTR/ZR1 as example against GT3 RS...
but I am sure you know what I really mean when I am doing those example.

My point is, the cost of Akrapovic might not make sense to you,
but to some other people, the cost of Akrapovic does make sense.
and again this thread was originally started by the poster to try to get help to find
distributor for Akrapovic.
Somebody want to help, he will be happy.
Somebody can not help, he do not have problem.
Somebody want to point out a better alternative, I think he is ok too.
but when somebody try to DICTATE him where to spend his money,
I am sure that is not cool anymore...

and, as you said above, you would love to own an Akrapovic exhaust for your car,
but you prefer to buy it used.
so if nobody is buying new Akrapovic, how do you expect you will someday be able to buy a used one from ?

Quick Reply: Where are you guys buying Akrapovic systems?