Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Where are you guys buying Akrapovic systems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:37 PM
prosper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Md11skipper
prosper, you spoke my mind!
Owning a GT3 RS is a love affair, I did not buy this car based on logic and neither did I buy Akrapovic on logic I bought it because it is the best there is in every respect for me and and my twisted value system.
The loss of value with the Akrapovic system is tremendous but so is the loss of value with the car. If I look at the current prices for a RS, I lost 50k in a year but I did not buy the car or any aftermarket part as a $ investment, I bought it strictly for fun and excitement and Akrapovic added more to it than I could have imagined.
Hi MD11skipper,

I totally agree with you.
are you a Medical Doctor ?
if you are, I understand how you feel too.
I mean as doctor you must had seen many people pass away.
and we only live once, and hopefully while we still healthy and can enjoy our stuff,
and most importantly can afford to buy it,
why not ? right ? as long as it make us Happy

You only live once ! (at least that is what I believe )
Old 01-16-2010, 01:50 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by prosper
Hi MD11skipper,

I totally agree with you.
are you a Medical Doctor ?
if you are, I understand how you feel too.
I mean as doctor you must had seen many people pass away.
and we only live once, and hopefully while we still healthy and can enjoy our stuff,
and most importantly can afford to buy it,
why not ? right ? as long as it make us Happy

You only live once ! (at least that is what I believe )
Prosper - not to be rude but Nugget was aksing a question on what a Akrapovic system delivers. It sounds like he is not familiar with them. If someone asked me why I spent $10K on a Patek vs. a Casio, I can answer the question with specifics vs. just saying you only live once. This forum is about imparting Knowledge.

Nugget appeared to ask a question on what the system delivers and you jumped down his throat. If he has a GT3 RS its a valid question.

I would still like to know what these systems do (not for the money) but why are they the best? The noise is XYZ, they are 30 pounds lighter etc.

Thanks in advance..
Old 01-16-2010, 02:01 PM
prosper
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodsky
Prosper - not to be rude but Nugget was aksing a question on what a Akrapovic system delivers. It sounds like he is not familiar with them. If someone asked me why I spent $10K on a Patek vs. a Casio, I can answer the question with specifics vs. just saying you only live once. This forum is about imparting Knowledge.

Nugget appeared to ask a question on what the system delivers and you jumped down his throat. If he has a GT3 RS its a valid question.

I would still like to know what these systems do (not for the money) but why are they the best? The noise is XYZ, they are 30 pounds lighter etc.

Thanks in advance..
Rodsky,

the thread starter was asking question of where he can find this Akrapovic distributor.
Nugget do not even try to answer that,
but he actually try to "PROMOTE" the competitor by POINTING OUT the Price Differential.

I am sure someone like Nugget can understand the different price of Titainium and Stainless Steel.
I am very sure Nugget is a SMART Person.

and I do have answer the question with specific detail, most importantly the Titanium vs Stainless Steel,
and I also said that for Bang for The Buck, the Sharkwerks surely WIN !

if Nugget (or you) want to know why the system is different,
you all can check their website, and check how many horsepower does this system make on their website and how much lighter they are.

I mean, Nugget is so fast in pointing out Sharkwerks website WITH A LINK,
so how come Nugget can not find the different in spec between Sharkswerk and Akrapovic himself ?

again the author of the article is asking for Akrapovic distributor,
and it is Nugget who went OFF TOPIC !

Thanks for your comment.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:07 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Rodsky,

the thread starter was asking question of where he can find this Akrapovic distributor.
Nugget do not even try to answer that,
but he actually try to "PROMOTE" the competitor by POINTING OUT the Price Differential.

I am sure someone like Nugget can understand the different price of Titainium and Stainless Steel.
I am very sure Nugget is a SMART Person.

and I do have answer the question with specific detail, most importantly the Titanium vs Stainless Steel,
and I also said that for Bang for The Buck, the Sharkwerks surely WIN !

if Nugget (or you) want to know why the system is different,
you all can check their website, and check how many horsepower does this system make on their website and how much lighter they are.

I mean, Nugget is so fast in pointing out Sharkwerks website WITH A LINK,
so how come Nugget can not find the different in spec between Sharkswerk and Akrapovic himself ?

again the author of the article is asking for Akrapovic distributor,
and it is Nugget who went OFF TOPIC !

Thanks for your comment.
Fair enough - but if we can research websites why do we even need Rennlist. Its nice to hear from people who actually have the product and can speak to its virtues/strengths. I was curious. Its not like he started discussing yachting or something completely unrelated to the topic at hand.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:08 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
FVD has not sold Akrapovic systems for a while now, about 8 months. So that is a bad lead. Rhonda can't help you with sourcing Akrapovic.

FVD however IS testing some new GT3RS systems, and of course, they will offer Titanium and the usual FVD quality. You might want to wait and compare the two.

All I have read about the Akrapovic systems is positive and that it seems to be very high quality, but always smart to compare choices.
+1

Here's the FVD system on my car, we're fine tuning it as we speak:

Old 01-16-2010, 02:18 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

following your logic, people will also ask, why do you buy a $150,000 GT3 RS,
when for much less money you can buy Corvette ZR1 or Nissan GTR ?

yes the price of GT3 RS is not 5 times the price of GTR or ZR1,
but in ABSOLUTE dollar term the different between GT3 RS price and ZR1/GTR is much bigger than the difference between Akrapovic and Sharkwerks exhaust.

everybody have their own preference.
of course there is no doubt that Sharkwerks give you the best bang for the buck.
and Sharkwerks product also have Very Good Quality/Performance.

but sometimes, people want to buy the most expensive things for them to enjoy,
and if they can afford to, why not ?
There are times, when I can afford to spent,
I want to buy the most expensive things available,
and sometimes when money is tight, I will have to settle to what I can afford at that particular time.

Your post, is similar to people asking why buy Rolex when the digital Casio actually more accurate and much cheaper...
and wouldn't you be disappointed, if a GTR owner said that you are just wasting your money buying a GT3 RS, when his GTR can do the same thing at much lower price ?
Do you then feel the need to point out to that GTR owner how your car "feel" and "communicate" differently compare to his GTR ?
and that different in "feel" make you think it is worth it to spend $70,000 more to buy GT3 RS instead of the GTR ?

Remember Akrapovic is using Titanium for their exhaust,
plus you always paid for that "brand" premium,
like when you paid for your Porsche brand premium against a Nissan GTR or Corvette ZR1
and of course Titanium is much more expensive than stainless steel.

This thread was started as a thread to ask for help finding distributor who sell Akrapovic,
and instead of helping you basically BASHING Akrapovic.
That is NOT Ethical.
if you want to give advise to the thread starter on more value for the money alternative,
you can always us Private Messaging, or you can write in a nicer way.
You even had link to sharkswerks website,
but do you remember to give links to Akrapovic website, so people can really compare the different side by side?

and have you ever hold Akrapovic Titanium pipe and than hold Sharkswerks Stainless Steel pipe ?
Try it, and you will feel the "different" between Titanium and Stainless Steel.
Is that "different" justify the price differential ?
well it is up to the people who want to spend their money to decide.

If you are really trying to help the thread starter, maybe you can help him finding the distributor for Akrapovic instead
I don't think Nugget was BASHING akrapovic. He simply asked what was the appeal to spend that much.

People that buy Rolex watch want to buy the brand and the heritage behind it. They are willing to spend for it even knowing that they can't hold their time. Just like purest Porschephile who buys an RS instead of a GTR. He knows the Nissan will do the same and maybe more but he spends for the RS because he buys the ''marque'' and a piece of the heritage. I didn't want to bring these examples because of the reasons stated above but you did in your own post.

Now willing to spend on an exhaust system is to each is own but what I really wonder is besides the material used in the fabrication, is the R&D really there to back it up? We have seen more than once companies charging a premium for ****ty or ok parts just because it's for a porsche. I'm not saying the guys over at Akrapovic are a bunch of crooks but some Porsche owners are leery.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:23 PM
prosper
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodsky
Fair enough - but if we can research websites why do we even need Rennlist. Its nice to hear from people who actually have the product and can speak to its virtues/strengths. I was curious. Its not like he started discussing yachting or something completely unrelated to the topic at hand.
Yes, I totally agree with you,

I also see that you are a very Fair Man, based on your comment on another thread
debating about why people buy RS and put lot of option on it and make it heavy.

but at least, Nugget can start another thread specifically for comparison between Akrapovic vs. Sharkwerks,
and I do believe Sharkwerks will surely win more vote for Performance vs Dollar, (at least my vote),
and in fact, Sharkwerks Stainless Steel material SHOULD have ADVANTAGE in Long Term Durability
compare to Titanium of Akrapovic.If Nugget did that, that it would serve the purpose of Rennlist
as place to share info like you point out on your post above, and it will be done ethically too.

Beside the starter of this thread had never owned Akrapovic before,
and that is why he ask here on where to buy it...
so I don't think the thread starter can explain to Nugget what he feel (in real life)
about the Akrapovic,
simple because he have not buy it himself.

When Nugget actually give Two (not just one but two) website Link to Sharkwerk product but he fail to give links to Akrapovic website that contain the spec of this titanium exhaust...
that is the KEY on what his post really is !
If he is able to point out all the good spec on Sharkwerk, how come he fail to point out the akrapovic website link ?

ps: I do not work for Akrapovic, I do not work for any exhaust company,
infact I do not own any Porsche right now,
the last time I own Porsche is Turbo 3.6 is 1995
but I sure want to own one again someday, preferably GT3 RS or GT2,
and if I able to move to California,
I will surely love to buy thinks from Sharkswerks in the future,
because I know from all the review here,
Sharkwerks give very good customer service and good product too.
so I have nothing bad about Sharkwerks and all the thing I hear is very good,
and I also do not have any experience with Akrapovic product or their customer service,
so I can not comment on Akrapovic.
but as businessman, I just can help to comment here...
Old 01-16-2010, 02:30 PM
prosper
Instructor

Originally Posted by CWay27
I don't think Nugget was BASHING akrapovic. He simply asked what was the appeal to spend that much.

People that buy Rolex watch want to buy the brand and the heritage behind it. They are willing to spend for it even knowing that they can't hold their time. Just like purest Porschephile who buys an RS instead of a GTR. He knows the Nissan will do the same and maybe more but he spends for the RS because he buys the ''marque'' and a piece of the heritage. I didn't want to bring these examples because of the reasons stated above but you did in your own post.

Now willing to spend on an exhaust system is to each is own but what I really wonder is besides the material used in the fabrication, is the R&D really there to back it up? We have seen more than once companies charging a premium for ****ty or ok parts just because it's for a porsche. I'm not saying the guys over at Akrapovic are a bunch of crooks but some Porsche owners are leery.
From what I read, the FActory 997 GT2 Titanium exhaust system was made by Akrapovic,
so I am sure the quality is good.

and what I know is many motorcycles that compete in Superbike Championship use Akrapovic.

I used to be importer of Aprilia motorcycle in my country,
and I used to be importer of Arrow exhaust too.

but Aprilia factory option was Akrapovic, and once I have customer who insist on using Akrapovic instead of Arrow.
So I buy it for him (through Aprilia and not direct with akrapovic),
and even though Akrapovic was more expensive than Arrow,
the workmanship is also better. you can see clearly on how they weld the pipe,
the header shape,
and how easy you fit them to the original mounting on the Aprilia.

and for some Aprilia model like the RSV Collin Edwards,
the bike came with separate race ready kid that contain Akrapovic exhaust.

I also see many M3 owner use Akrapovic and post many nice picture on M3post.com,
like I see many GT3 owner use Sharkwerks here and post many picture here on rennlist.

so in Motorcycle racing, Akrapovic have the heritage (like Rolex).
but on car, they are new.

again, if Porsche factory trust their titanium exhaust made by Akrapovic and many factory superbike
racing team also trust them,
they must be doing something good.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

fThis thread was started as a thread to ask for help finding distributor who sell Akrapovic, and instead of helping you basically BASHING Akrapovic. That is NOT Ethical.
I just asked why someone would choose to spend that much. For all I know there are countless reasons that the Akrapovic is superior to the alternatives. I honestly don't know. I wasn't bashing, just asking. I could talk for hours on the relative merits of rolex vs. casio or GT3 vs GT-R. The list of differences is long and substantial. I don't see a similar differentiation when it comes to Porsche exhausts. Perhaps I'm missing something but the differences with exhausts seems more arbitrary (weight reduction and power gains are objective, not subjective), measurable, and far less dramatic.

As I said, though, I'm not challenging the choice, just wondering what I'm missing (if anything). How was that bashing anyone or any thing?

It's absurd to call my ethics into question for my post. Are you having a bad day or something?
Old 01-16-2010, 02:44 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MGS996
Yesterday I fitted my recently purchased RS Tuning / Cargraphic 600PS package on my 997 GT2. The fit quality and engineering quality is very questionable. In fitting the system I needed to split the right hand side cat and re weld to ensure correct alignment. Now today I have noticed a small exhaust leak on the left hand cat at one of weld seams Do I now remove the cat and re weld or just scrap the complete system and start again with a quality product?
I have a Europipe S2 on my 996TT, engineering is first class but they do not make a Ti system for the 997 GT2, only SST.
Mark, please make the distinction whose "engineering quality" you are reffering to ? You are talking about Cargraphic's stuff, made by their facility Phoenix in the UK..... All RS Tuning have done for you is put their software on your ECU (eventually )

I think the Akropovik would be an awesome solution, the only thing I would check about is the 100 cell cats which Akropovik use ? Are they identical to the HJS race ones the software is tuned to work with ? Will they cause CELs if they flow "differently" - you may create problems for yourself if they are different and it will be hard to get anyone to sort them as you will be on your own with the "mixing and matching"........
Old 01-16-2010, 02:45 PM
prosper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nugget
I just asked why someone would choose to spend that much. For all I know there are countless reasons that the Akrapovic is superior to the alternatives. I honestly don't know. I wasn't bashing, just asking. I could talk for hours on the relative merits of rolex vs. casio or GT3 vs GT-R. The list of differences is long and substantial. I don't see a similar differentiation when it comes to Porsche exhausts. Perhaps I'm missing something but the differences with exhausts seems more arbitrary (weight reduction and power gains are objective, not subjective), measurable, and far less dramatic.

As I said, though, I'm not challenging the choice, just wondering what I'm missing (if anything). How was that bashing anyone or any thing?

It's absurd to call my ethics into question for my post. Are you having a bad day or something?
nope, but are you having a bad day that cause you only able to post TWO (not just one but two) website link on Sharkwerks product,but fail to put link to Akrapovic product ?

You are OFF TOPIC. if you want to do a comparison, you can start you OWN THREAD.

and don't you think why someone could spend that much money on an exhaust is exactly why someone
can spent that much money on Rolex vs. Casio ? because as you point out, both of them just exhaust,
and again Rolex and Casio, both of them are just to show time... ?

but I help you with the Akrapovic spec below, courtesy of Google:

http://www.akrapovic.com/car-exhaust.../evolution-63/

Evolution Exhaust System Porsche 997 GT3 RS

The Akrapovic Evolution Complete System is based on the same layout as the original exhaust system of the GT3 with valve control. A newly developed exhaust manifold with 100 cpsi sports catalyst guarantees an increase in power and torque, as do the newly developed and optimized pre mufflers. But the real plus of this exhaust system is the weight reduction of 15.5 kg, while it maintains the original layout and functionality of the exhaust caps.

Performance

The weight distribution of the vehicle is improved considerably, because of that weight reduction in the area behind the engine and the rear axle, which has a positive effect on the handling. The limit range of the vehicle adjusts upwards and so a higher transverse acceleration is possible. The combination of improved power to weight ratio (through an increased efficiency of 12 HP), torque progression by 14 Nm, and the positive effects in connection with driving dynamics enhance the performance of the GT3 distinctively. The sound impression in this configuration is somewhat more voluminous and with opened caps way more aggressive than in the original version.

They include the following:

* titanium end muffler, with TÜV
* titanium end tubes, with TÜV
* titanium sports manifold system with integrated 100 cpsi catalyst
* titanium pre mufflers with exhaust caps

Hard facts:

* plus 12 HP (at 5510 rpm)
* plus 14 Nm (at 5740 rpm)
* minus 15.5 kg (when compared with stock

So now you can compare this spec with Sharkwerks spec.
and I am very confident you will still think that the price differential do NOT justify Akrapovic price.
You already had that in your mind before you even post.
and the fact that you don't even bother to use Google to find Akrapovic spec,
while you able to post TWO weblink on Sharkwerks directly to the specific product is very clear sign
of UNETHICAL behaviour.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:49 PM
prosper
Instructor

Old 01-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

nope, but are you having a bad day that cause you only able to post TWO (not just one but two) website link on Sharkwerks product,but fail to put link to Akrapovic product ?
Calm down, guy. The answer is simple -- I'm unfamiliar with the akrapovic product and my googling only led me to motorcycle exhausts. I didn't find the information you're yelling at me for not including. So I asked here, like any normal person would do.

You are OFF TOPIC. if you want to do a comparison, you can start you OWN THREAD.
No amount of CAPITAL LETTERS will change the fact that my posts to this thread are more on-topic than your stories about importing Aprila motorcycles. Besides, topic drift happens. If you're uncomfortable with that fact you shouldn't be participating on internet discussion forums.

and don't you think why someone could spend that much money on an exhaust is exactly why someone can spent that much money on Rolex vs. Casio?
No, actually, I don't. But I'm not sure which is why I asked.

You already had that in your mind before you even post. and the fact that you don't even bother to use Google to find Akrapovic spec,while you able to post TWO weblink on Sharkwerks directly to the specific product is very clear sign of UNETHICAL behaviour.
Please stop calling me unethical. There is absolutely no cause for that sort of insulting behavior on your part. It's offensive.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:53 PM
M-M
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nugget

" I could talk for hours on the relative merits of rolex vs. casio or GT3 vs GT-R"

I donīt understand why you are in a Porsche forum!

This is a forum for people that have and can spend that kind of money (passion) if you donīt understand that you never will and itīs no reason to explain it for you.

just my opinion
Old 01-16-2010, 02:55 PM
prosper
Instructor

Evolution Race Exhaust System Porsche 997 GT3 RS

The Akrapovic Evolution Race Exhaust System connects titanium headers with integrated 100 cpsi metallic catalysts with the ultra light Sports Cup System without compromise and now represents our maximum power increase at the lowest weight configuration.

Performance

Because of the achieved weight reduction of 29 kg in the most critical area of the Porsche 911, behind the engine and rear axle, the weight distribution of the car is noticeably improved, which also enables better handling. The limit range of the car increased and higher side acceleration is now possible. The performance of the GT3 will clearly be increased by the combination of better power/weight ratio, the increase of torque for about 23 Nm and much better handling.

Sound characteristics of this configuration are much more aggressive, but still allowed by Porsche Sports Cup regulations.

Included in a delivery:

* titanium rear muffler, homologated
* titanium tail pipes, homologated
* titanium headers with 100 cpsi catalysts
* titanium link pipes

Hard facts:

* plus 16.5 PS (approx. 4,490 rpm.)
* 23 Nm plus (approx. 4,128 rpm)
* minus 29 kg

Quick Reply: Where are you guys buying Akrapovic systems?