Steel brakes for 997 GT2

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:10 PM
James Herne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel brakes for 997 GT2

Hello,

please help where to find steel brake kit for 997 GT2.
The car sadly comes with PCCB as standard, but PCCB is a fraud by Porsche as everybody knows who has driven his Porsche the way for what it was made.

This topic is not about for or against PCCB. Porsche original ceramic brakes are not an option and probably aren't aftermarket ceramics neither. The difference in braking performance compared to the price difference does not justify ceramics for sponsorless amateur racing.

Guys who prefer PCCB because they look better and generate less dust, please don't reply here.

Shortly - is there a bolt-on solution available for converting 997 GT2 to steel brakes? Or if to use original Porsche parts, then which ones? Do we need to change the ABS "brain"?

Thank you very much in advance!

P.S. Before writing this post, I tried to find the answer with the Rennlist search engine and read many posts for hours, but I must admit - we have a lot of spam here, so I tired of searching for the asnwer.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:14 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by James Herne
Hello,

The car sadly comes with PCCB as standard, but PCCB is a fraud by Porsche as everybody knows who has driven his Porsche the way for what it was made.

This topic is not about for or against PCCB. Porsche original ceramic brakes are not an option and probably aren't aftermarket ceramics neither. The difference in braking performance compared to the price difference does not justify ceramics for sponsorless amateur racing.

Guys who prefer PCCB because they look better and generate less dust, please don't reply here.

Shortly - is there a bolt-on solution available for converting 997 GT2 to steel brakes? Or if to use original Porsche parts, then which ones? Do we need to change the ABS "brain"?

Thank you very much in advance!

P.S. Before writing this post, I tried to find the answer with the Rennlist search engine and read many posts for hours, but I must admit - we have a lot of spam here, so I tired of searching for the asnwer.

Absolute CLASSIC post !
Especially the "guys who prefer PCCB because they look better and generate less dust, please dont reply here"

There is a gentlemen on another board (6speedonline I believe ?) who has 2 GT2's and has converted to steel/iron brakes; his name is hlisk..you may try searching his posts or send a PM, I know he and his brother have done this conversion twice.

Hope this helps
Old 07-07-2009, 05:31 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Follow this link:
PCCB to Iron GT2

For more history, find more posts by rodjac

Happy Motoring!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:53 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

The cap fits
Old 07-08-2009, 06:36 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

I got the Brembo two piece slotted rotors (380 front and 350 rear) from Sharkwerks and have been very happy. Although I only have two track days on the iron rotors I like the brake feel better than ceramics. Only downside is the fronts require a narrow annulus Pagid (yellow) pad so the pad backing plate clears the point where the hat attaches to the rotors. These pads are great by the way so I don't view it as a real problem. I think you could grind about a sixteenth of a inch off the backing plate of any pad and make them work. Any GT2 pad fits the rear. As suggested see the post under rodjac for full details. Call Alex for rundown on availability.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:58 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
Absolute CLASSIC post !
Especially the "guys who prefer PCCB because they look better and generate less dust, please dont reply here"

There is a gentlemen on another board (6speedonline I believe ?) who has 2 GT2's and has converted to steel/iron brakes; his name is hlisk..you may try searching his posts or send a PM, I know he and his brother have done this conversion twice.

Hope this helps
Hey WSH too funny. We actually did one set (not both- yet) for him but have been replacing a few 380mm 2/3's that way. Honestly if we start tracking our RS more (less time building it too lol!) I'm considering doing the same. I just don't fancy 5k per rotor replacements!

Originally Posted by _rocket
Wow. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, there are aftermarket wide-annulus 380mm steel brake kits from Brembo and PFC designed to use with stock calipers. I'm sure the suppliers will chime in soon.

Alternatively, if you want your car to look stock, why not get the 997.2 GT3 steel rotors?
Hey Rocket, not in the shop right now (on holiday and using a 3GS iphone so bear with me!). The kits we've installed and sold have been from brembo. It's a 380mm set up front and rear. Two piece rotor (alu hats) and the race Type III 72 vane wide annulus rotors. Brembo supplies the front pads (yellow or green motorsports - or you can go Porterfield/PFC as well).

Hello,

We can certainly help and there is a direct bolt-on solution out there and currently being used from brembo (see above).

Here's a comparison of the rotors:

And installed:

For more details: http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=199

And a full install on our site.

PS Extra brake dust included

Originally Posted by rodjac
I got the Brembo two piece slotted rotors (380 front and 350 rear) from Sharkwerks and have been very happy. Although I only have two track days on the iron rotors I like the brake feel better than ceramics. Only downside is the fronts require a narrow annulus Pagid (yellow) pad so the pad backing plate clears the point where the hat attaches to the rotors. These pads are great by the way so I don't view it as a real problem. I think you could grind about a sixteenth of a inch off the backing plate of any pad and make them work. Any GT2 pad fits the rear. As suggested see the post under rodjac for full details. Call Alex for rundown on availability.
Thanks rodjac and glad you like it... I know the pad choice is about to get bigger although for now we've got the yellow and the green motorsports (a bit more aggressive).
Old 07-10-2009, 02:15 AM
TripleM
Racer

Alcon makes this but the website says for GT3/RS fitment....maybe u can enquire...

Here is the link

http://www.jzmachtech.com/shells/sho...=2008&id=11073

Quick Reply: Steel brakes for 997 GT2