Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New RS Speculation

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 03:29 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
First, Porsche has made no definite announcement that there will be an RS or if one will come to the US. Everything to date is still speculation. Even in the European press announcement, they said "maybe" there will be an RS model. In fact, all those early spy photos and videos of the "RS" last year ended up being the regular GT3 that just came out.

Remember how everyone made such a big deal about the RS not having a sunroof. Porsche got over 1000 contacts from people wanting a GT3 without a sunroof and hence decided the 07' RS would not have one. For 2010, no GT3s get sunroofs. It is not even an option. They also get a stiffer suspension and significantly more downforce with the revised nose and rear wing than the previous RS had. So how much more of a change would there really be to an RS model? Would you be willing to pay $20-40k more for a bigger rear wing, painted wheels and side graphics?

Here is the last thing to think about. The production of 2010 GT3s is going to be far lower than 2004 or 2007. No dealer got over 6 allocations and most small dealers got none. Figure total production between 250 and 500 for the US for 2010. That is between a half an a quarter of 2004 or 2007 production. Porsche is backing down production for several reasons that include a changing market, helping buyers maintain resale and keeping their exclusive cars...exclusive.
Don't forget that the EPA has accepted California's "Greenhouse Gas" rules. So far, California, 13 other states and the District of Columbia have signed on for that 'standard'. Those rules mandate a reduction of these 'emissions' by 5% for 2010, 14% for 2011 models and 20% for 2012. It's hard to imagine Porsche meeting this standard with the GT3... (not to mention the GT3's impact on the required fleet fuel mileage). And the timeline mitigates against a new RS.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Mauro Lucchesi
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I would not advise anyone to put in writing their intention to track the car (warranty reasons), unless by "tracking" you meant "closely following its development"..
hello Grant
I see you have a 73 Rs replica. Am I right. I'm new to Rennlist so still finding my way around the website. I need help as I'm converting my 1983 911 SC to a 1973 RS replica. Am looking for carbon fibre or good quality/Fit fiberglass front and rear bumper, extended hood, front fenders to accomodate the retro indicator lights, Fuchs wheels and the ducktail engine cover. Can you or anyone please help? I live in Cape Town South Africa and here I can';t find anything. I have a container leaving Seattle Washington in about 10 daya and I would like to make use of it to ship anything I want to buy back to South Africa.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:43 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhh. Good call on the warranty issue. Maybe that's the reason for the difference. But, I can tell you, dealers DO look at book values when purchasing cars and it does play a large role in how much they pay for trades, auctions and otherwise. In fact, I have a friend with P that just bought cars at a high end auction 2 days ago and mentioned that he over paid for a couple of them because he was low on inventory. He constantly looks at wholesale values, which is very close to KBB trade in values.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 07-03-2009, 09:00 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can say 'wait until the last minute,' but Porsche will nearly always sneak a few more in. Just place your order if you want one. I want a purple one to go with my green RS.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Mauro Lucchesi
hello Grant
I see you have a 73 Rs replica. Am I right. I'm new to Rennlist so still finding my way around the website. I need help as I'm converting my 1983 911 SC to a 1973 RS replica. Am looking for carbon fibre or good quality/Fit fiberglass front and rear bumper, extended hood, front fenders to accomodate the retro indicator lights, Fuchs wheels and the ducktail engine cover. Can you or anyone please help? I live in Cape Town South Africa and here I can';t find anything. I have a container leaving Seattle Washington in about 10 daya and I would like to make use of it to ship anything I want to buy back to South Africa.
Stuff on my car comes from www.mashaw.com

Email me at grantg10@aol.com if you have more questions...
Old 07-05-2009, 01:05 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Agree with backing down production due to changing market, but Porsche won't care at all whether your car is exclusive or not, they will produce as many as they can sell if people keep buying.

Besides, they are too busy marketing the Panamera and working on the next gen Cayenne, this is where the money is.
Porsche ALWAYS limits production on specialty cars. The allocations are all dealers get. If there will be anymore, they will be at the end of the production year to clear parts off the production floor. It does not matter if a customer who has bought 10 cars walks in with cash to order another one. They will not take a single additonal order. Look what happened in 07. There were a couple hundred people trying to order GT3s over the allocations. Despite the demand, Porsche still stopped production in December 07.

Originally Posted by dertub
You can say 'wait until the last minute,' but Porsche will nearly always sneak a few more in. Just place your order if you want one. I want a purple one to go with my green RS.
This is true. Just don't worry about putting an order in. All those late cars are already pre-speced by Porsche based on what parts are left on the production floor. A long as you are in lne at your dealer you can pick one of these up, but if you really want to order one and wait; you will be SOL. Late 07/early 08 a lot of dealers got 1 addtional GT3 or RS that Porsche pre-speced and built.

Quick Reply: New RS Speculation