Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

rear brake cooling solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009 | 05:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GlennMc
Hi Mate,

No worries glad i can help our US friends out too....

Need to get to the Ring again soon, maybe there for GP day with RMA.

Racing in Carrera Cup now, so not as much time for trackdays as before...

G.
Wow, going for gold in the big time eh? ... good luck!

No wonder you need better rear brake ducting!
Old 06-30-2009 | 06:05 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

- i ordered these parts today as i was at the dealer at the time picking up some pads and noticed this posting

- if you had issues with your current parts and had to order new ones, the system has been updated such that you would actually get the new ducts so they have to fit (one would think)

- the porsche system showed 1 set of parts in Atlanta and 30+ in Germany (my parts guy wasn't sure if the Atlanta parts were real or if you could actually get these parts today from Germany - but once my order was entered he said he would get an update from Germany on actual delivery - so stay tuned

It is ashame that if with hindsight a $100 piece of plastic could have saved a $3000 rotor from 'accelerated' wear - but i guess nothing is perfect

What I think is more telling is that a new part is available to fix 'one' of the known issues with the car but that no new RMS has been offered up

Also, did anyone at that UK gt3.mk2 day ask about the crappy clutch stack in the LSD or the ABS module going into ice-mode (give us the motorsport ABS unit please)

paul
Old 06-30-2009 | 06:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- i ordered these parts today as i was at the dealer at the time picking up some pads and noticed this posting
Very cool so they are available in the US, or at least notionally!

-
if you had issues with your current parts and had to order new ones, the system has been updated such that you would actually get the new ducts so they have to fit (one would think)
not quite sure I understand what you mean above?

-
- the porsche system showed 1 set of parts in Atlanta and 30+ in Germany (my parts guy wasn't sure if the Atlanta parts were real or if you could actually get these parts today from Germany - but once my order was entered he said he would get an update from Germany on actual delivery - so stay tuned
-
It is ashame that if with hindsight a $100 piece of plastic could have saved a $3000 rotor from 'accelerated' wear - but i guess nothing is perfect
Yup I guess hindsght is 20/20 ... at least they have a fix that is retofittable...

-
What I think is more telling is that a new part is available to fix 'one' of the known issues with the car but that no new RMS has been offered up

Also, did anyone at that UK gt3.mk2 day ask about the crappy clutch stack in the LSD or the ABS module going into ice-mode (give us the motorsport ABS unit please)
beats me, what's the ABS module issue? that is a new one on me!
Old 06-30-2009 | 08:07 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Very cool so they are available in the US, or at least notionally!

not quite sure I understand what you mean above?

Yup I guess hindsght is 20/20 ... at least they have a fix that is retofittable...

beats me, what's the ABS module issue? that is a new one on me!

- If somehow your stock 2007 rear ducks need replaced, if you order new ones you will get the updated part
- if you hit the brakes in a bumpy brake zone the ABS freaks out and you don't stop - I know for a fact that the 997 cupcar does not suffer this problem to the same extent - thus the motorsport ABS unit is clearlt better in this respect
Old 06-30-2009 | 08:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

- If somehow your stock 2007 rear ducks need replaced, if you order new ones you will get the updated part
wow really? ... interesting ... I dont actually see any rear ducts (like the new
ones) on the PET for the 997.1 ...

-
- if you hit the brakes in a bumpy brake zone the ABS freaks out and you don't stop - I know for a fact that the 997 cupcar does not suffer this problem to the same extent - thus the motorsport ABS unit is clearlt better in this respect
ah ... ok thanks.
Old 06-30-2009 | 08:56 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
wow really? ... interesting ... I dont actually see any rear ducts (like the new
ones) on the PET for the 997.1 ...

ah ... ok thanks.
Was at the dealer today
We looked at the mk2 part list
When we pulled up the mk1 part list the part in question was the same part number and now said it was updated to 2010
We thus concluded that if someone with an mk1 went in and ordered a replacement part they would get the new part and thus it must fit

For everyone out there that didn't believe me about rear pad wear (even with TC off) - I will now say I told you so
That said, with TC off the wear front to rear is closer but still faster in the rear
The mk2 official announcement / press confirmed this when they spoke about rear rotor temps
This was always my claim - the increase in rear bias was not properly cooled (at least with the pccbs)
I personally believe they should also run a larger pad in the rear
Old 06-30-2009 | 09:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Was at the dealer today
When we pulled up the mk1 part list the part in question was the same part number and now said it was updated to 2010
We thus concluded that if someone with an mk1 went in and ordered a replacement part they would get the new part and thus it must fit
awesome, I didnt see it because I dont have the latest PET

For everyone out there that didn't believe me about rear pad wear (even with TC off) - I will now say I told you so
That said, with TC off the wear front to rear is closer but still faster in the rear
The mk2 official announcement / press confirmed this when they spoke about rear rotor temps
This was always my claim - the increase in rear bias was not properly cooled (at least with the pccbs)
Oh I definitely believed there were rear wear issues due to overheating!

BTW I just heard back from Jeff@sunset imports, there are (now) no ducts
available in US, back ordered into Germany at 1 months delivery.

note that there are NO 999.073.516.01 M6 bolts around anywhere!
Old 06-30-2009 | 09:10 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Paul I don't disagree with the notion that the heat issue contributes to problem also with use of TC but I still think the rear bias is a major factor also, I don't see it going to fronts faster than rear, but I would be happy with close to equal. Be sure you guys show us some picks when the parts come in. This is a DIY for me.
Old 06-30-2009 | 09:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Paul I don't disagree with the notion that the heat issue contributes to problem also with use of TC but I still think the rear bias is a major factor also, I don't see it going to fronts faster than rear, but I would be happy with close to equal.
I thought that Paul was implying or even stating that the rear bias and lack of
cooling was the issue (not TC) ... that was my guess/experience also with the
car at the ring during euro del.

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Be sure you guys show us some picks when the parts come in. This is a DIY for me.
I will to DIY also, so I will be sure to publish DIY how-to when I get the
parts.

I also plan to try and fit the 996 cup ducts to the front which it is rumored
requires some dremmeling so I will also record that for posterior!

Old 06-30-2009 | 10:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Was at the dealer today

this pretty much confirms that it can be retrofitted to the 997.1!!!
Old 07-01-2009 | 12:52 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Rear pads wear 2X as fast as fronts - and heat is a huge issue - a solution at last!
Old 07-01-2009 | 01:14 AM
karlleonard
Banned

glenn get the pictures up on puregt when u get them...!!
Old 07-01-2009 | 09:32 AM
sws1
Pro

Stupid question.
Can these simple little break ducts, which route a little bit more air to the brakes really reduce the temperature THAT much?

I never took this sort of science (fluid mechanics maybe?) in college, so the math in my head just doesn't work out.
Old 07-01-2009 | 11:21 AM
GlennMc
Racer

Interesting comments re the 997 ABS, as i found that on mine, it's even worse when healing and toeing down the box into a bumpy braking zone, you think the brakes are never going to come back to you !!!
The braking characteristics on my Cup car are totally different for sure, but don't forget, the 997 Cup has a front/rear brake bias dial, so you can set it how you please.

Andreas was asked by a friend of mine that went to the recent GT3 day at Silverstone, why there was so much brake bias to the rear now....Andreas pretty much implied that as there is a massive 305 section tyre there, with a lot of downforce above it giving a lot of rear end grip, so we used it, he admitted the rear cooling problem, and thus advised of this modification.

How are everyones rear PCCB's doing over here, mine are showing the 3 circles around the disc now, but i can't get a sraight answer out of my dealer as to what this means in terms of what life is left in them...

Is there a thread on this here ??

G.
Old 07-01-2009 | 12:18 PM
sws1
Pro

Seeing the circles doesn't mean much. You can see them on a new car if you get at the proper.

Worn rotors will look like pieces are breaking off them.

Quick Reply: rear brake cooling solution