Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Got my 2010 order today with late options:

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Keep in mind we are told that you can retrofit these if you do not build it on the car initially. May be more expensive that way. However, it gives you a choice to hear more reviews once these cars start to hit the tracks.
I wonder if they can be retrofitted to the 997.1 GT3.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:45 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera

You will notice what is not on the list, those frilly options: full leather, leather this and that, carbon this and that. This is a GT3 after all, not a Turbo Tip Cab (luxocruiser). Sports Chrono is on it for exactly what it was designed to be used for...lap times. Originally I did not like the "wart", but found it pretty nice when I drove a friends 997.
Focus on driving when on the track, and leave the clumsy-interfaced timer alone.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I don't get it, I guarentee it will get scraped just driving it home from the dealer. My Carrera already scrapes all the time. It is just an issue I deal with from my driveway and some of the local streets. My Carrera only has a ROW M030 suspension and no front lip, yet scrapes all the time. With the GT3, the front lip is guarenteed to scrape day one. Plus, it is going to allow me to lower the car more and still get a jack underneath. I will even be able to drive up ramps without scraping the spoiler. I scrape the bottom of the bumper driving up ramps in my Carrera.
I don't know how you drive or where you live but C2 with row suspension shouldn't be even close to scrape as much as you say.

If you scrap that much with a regular C2, the 1.2 inch that the lift system offers won't even cut it close for you. The front lip spoiler on the GT3 measures more then 1.2 inch...... Forget about dropping it more.

You just got to learn how to drive lowered cars. Look at all the guys driving 996 GT3 lowered to cup specs with cup splitter.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Suggestion: maybe you would be better off putting the money for the Sports Chrono towards an aftermarket lap timer of some desciption. Plant your transponder on the side of the track and have it do the timing for you????
having specc'ed the Sport Chrono w/o PCM in my '07 I would not waste money on it a 2nd time ... it *is* hard to use accurately while on track ... honestly an aftermarket system with a trackside transponder would be a better option
Old 06-24-2009, 08:52 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw a picture of the system. It is basically airbags on the top of the springs on the struts, similar to pre-load springs on coilovers. I heard Porsche is getting the system from KW and price is to match the price of the KW system on the aftermarket. I can still change my order and in fact can hold it up a month from going in. My car won't be built until October/November.
I think you may have seen the SharkWerks TechArt system (there was a vid of it posted here at one point).

Originally Posted by kryten
Measured the static display one yesterday at 10cm (that's under 4")

The front lip on it was very scratched!
How much lower is this from the mkI ?? Anyone know??

Also, anyone know how much replacements for the new front splitter will cost ??
Old 06-24-2009, 09:23 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Updates:

My order is in the system and my build date is set as 11/17. I don't have to lock down final options until 10/1.

After settling after installing the ROW M030 and GT3 control arms (with 10mm shims to get over -2.5 deg camber), I got just over a 1" drop in front and 7/8" drop out back. The front sits with just under 25.5" from ground to fender lip. The car is very close to the stock ride height of a GT3. Reading details on the new GT3 Porsche is setting the ride height 1.2" lower than a stock Carrera and the front end lift system raises 1.2". Hmmm...

I did a couple of changes today: added floor mats (oversight from previous) and removed Sports Chrono (I think I can hear people cheering as I am typing this).

Still debating front end lift as I want to know where they are measuring the height increase? I also want to know where the air tank goes...in the trunk maybe? The system I saw previously that I thought was Porsche's was actually Cargraphic's. The Porsche system that works with PASM has a large air tank that goes with it. Dealer has no info yet. I have a couple of months to still toss it around.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 06-24-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:45 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Updates:

Still debating front end lift as I want to know where they are measuring the height increase? I also want to know where the air tank goes...in the trunk maybe? The system I saw previously that I thought was Porsche's was actually Cargraphic's. The Porsche system that works with PASM has a large air tank that goes with it. Dealer has no info yet. I have a couple of months to still toss it around.
Using an electro pneumatic function module, the PASM dampers on the front axle can be raised by approximately 0.8 inches (20 mm). This corresponds to a rising of the body by approximately 1.2 inch (30 mm) at the front edge of the front spoiler.

S I also want to know where the air tank goes...in the trunk maybe?
The function module is a compact unit located at the front of the center tunnel.

Dealer has no info yet. I have a couple of months to still toss it around.
All the info is available and has been available since April 22.
Have your salesperson look for GT3 Product News on the source.
He will think you are a god when he finds it.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:08 PM
FL Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2010 GT3 Completed Production today!

Should be interesting to see when this arrives as it was finished today.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:56 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Do you have a car being built or are you talking about the 2-month factory shutdown for the summer? Yes, Porsche is shutting down for 2 months instead of the normal 1 as a cost cutting measure to help reduce dealer inventories.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:18 PM
FL Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Car has been built, it is finished... One of first few.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:18 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Congrats! When are they expecting your delivery date? Since it is one of the first, I would assume it is a Porsche pre-specced car. What are the options?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:36 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
Early orders could chose their options, there were no pre-specced cars. The dealer or customer made the decision; and some customers held back because of the unavailability of certain options, like front lift and adjustable engine mounts.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:02 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
I think you may have seen the SharkWerks TechArt system (there was a vid of it posted here at one point).

How much lower is this from the mkI ?? Anyone know??

Also, anyone know how much replacements for the new front splitter will cost ??
We did do both systems, the TechArt (hydraulic) and Cargraphic (air) and here's how they work..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyVEcfdGWFI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbtTDTmZryI
Old 06-26-2009, 03:06 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep your front tires a little over inflated and you won't need that heavy, expensive lift system!
Old 06-26-2009, 03:43 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, 14 seconds for the Cargraphic pneumatic system to achieve full lift...factory is only a couple of seconds IIRC.

Quick Reply: Got my 2010 order today with late options: