Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

I'm ready!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 PM
yousef
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm ready!

Hi guys, i currently drive an 07 mustang but just came into some $$$$ (yeah in this economy who woulda thought right?!) I read all the car mags and the new GT3 looks crazy cool! This looks like the right place to ask questions so:

1. the article i read was talking about it having more downforce but i also hear from friends that those big wings slow you down (hence mustangs don't have them right?!). can you order one without the wing i hate to think i'm going slow just so i can look cool with a big ole wing

2. for $100k how the hell can they not offer a sun roof???

3. how long are warranties on these cars?

thanks guys i can't wait
Old 06-12-2009, 02:10 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. get a turbo
2. get a turbo
3. www.porscheusa.com
Old 06-12-2009, 02:18 PM
yousef
2nd Gear

thanks pj996gt3, i did look at the turbo but feel that's more like an old man's car! plus i hate turbo lag.
appreciate the feedback tho. i see form your pic you go to the track? awesome! i've never been but if i do get the gt3 i'm all over that. apparently these gt3s are race bred so they must be rockstars at the track.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:31 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 84 Posts

1. At the speeds this car can achieve, you'll want some downforce. Unlike the Mustang contingent, the "wings" are functional

2. I wish I could have ordered my 2007 without a sunroof.

3. www.porscheusa.com

Good luck and YMMV
Old 06-12-2009, 03:26 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by yousef
Hi guys, i currently drive an 07 mustang but just came into some $$$$ (yeah in this economy who woulda thought right?!) I read all the car mags and the new GT3 looks crazy cool! This looks like the right place to ask questions so:

1. the article i read was talking about it having more downforce but i also hear from friends that those big wings slow you down (hence mustangs don't have them right?!). can you order one without the wing i hate to think i'm going slow just so i can look cool with a big ole wing

thanks guys i can't wait

You have a pretty sharp learning curve for the vehicle that you are considering buying; this is pretty obvious from your post (no disrespect intended). I suggest you get online and read all the car mag articles that you can find on the first gen 997 GT3 and the one you are considering buying. You may also want to look at the 996 GT3 to give you some more history.

Also, this forum has info all over the place; just start reading and studying!

1 - You WANT the wing. Unlike most wings (especially aftermarket), this one is not only functional, but functional to the point of drastically increasing high speed stability and improving higher speed cornering abilities.

This GT3 will do 194 MPH. That is plenty of speed for the German Autobahn, and certainly the US. And if you have not been on a track, it is more than enough for you. Chances are you will never come close to its top speed, certainly not on any of the tracks that I frequent.

2 - Don't ask about the sunroof again on this forum; it is for your own safety, trust me. I am only trying to help you. If you do, make sure you are on a public computer (library maybe), wearing a disguise, and leave the area right after your post. Check your mirrors to make sure you are not being followed (especially by MK1 997 GT3's).

3 - 4 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper with roadside.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:30 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 340Elise
2 - Don't ask about the sunroof again on this forum; it is for your own safety, trust me. I am only trying to help you. If you do, make sure you are on a public computer (library maybe), wearing a disguise, and leave the area right after your post. Check your mirrors to make sure you are not being followed (especially by MK1 997 GT3's).
Old 06-12-2009, 03:44 PM
jlee
Instructor

Yousef,

Just in case you don't get the subtleties(no pun intended), people who buy GT3's usually do not want a sunroof for weight saving reasons, and the new GT3 not having a sunroof is considered a big plus that we are finally getting from Porsche.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:11 PM
va122
Drifting

GET A TURBO!!!! No lag on the 997's

GT3's are track cars!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
You have a pretty sharp learning curve for the vehicle that you are considering buying; this is pretty obvious from your post (no disrespect intended). I suggest you get online and read all the car mag articles that you can find on the first gen 997 GT3 and the one you are considering buying. You may also want to look at the 996 GT3 to give you some more history.

Also, this forum has info all over the place; just start reading and studying!

1 - You WANT the wing. Unlike most wings (especially aftermarket), this one is not only functional, but functional to the point of drastically increasing high speed stability and improving higher speed cornering abilities.

This GT3 will do 194 MPH. That is plenty of speed for the German Autobahn, and certainly the US. And if you have not been on a track, it is more than enough for you. Chances are you will never come close to its top speed, certainly not on any of the tracks that I frequent.

3 - 4 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper with roadside.
+1
Old 06-12-2009, 04:24 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Nobody and I MEAN NOBODY wants a sunroof on a GT3.

Did I say NOBODY?

A GT3 without a wing is murderous. I have been hit by a gust of wind at 140 without the front
lip and the car is very unbalanced without both wings.

In a Mustang you can get a CONVERTIBLE!!!! Or in a Turbo you can get a Rag top But nobody wants
a hole in a GT3. There is many a legendary thread here ragging on Porsche for PUTTING one in the 997 Mk I GT3.

You obviously havent read much here those are the two no nos on a GT3
A. WITH a Sunroof
B. WITHOUT a wing

Those two requests put you in a Turbo. Who wants a 911 without a Big Ole Wing???
Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts
Default gt3

I think it is awesome that you want THE killer porsche for your next big purchase! You found your way here so congrats!!

Now take everything you thought you knew about cars and throw it out the window. You are going to see the light on this forum.

A turbo would be an awesome machine for you (sunroof, fast, awesome) but alas you want the purebred street version of the racer. Kudos.

What makes the GT3 a purist's car is the lack of options, features and nic nacs that add weight. It is a total 'drivers' car. (no sunroof to save weight, and ability to add full roll cage if so inclined at some point too)

As awesome as the new GT3 is, dont be afraid to buy a good used 997.1 GT3 with sunroof..... going for $80's right now and the sunroof in a daily driver is not all bad. But if you got the money ready to buy a new out of the box GT3 with full warranty then go for it. (you can buy extended warrantys also)

Dont worry about top speed and drag. If you have a licence plate on your car and dont trailor it to a track you probably wont notice the extra downforce or "additional" drag .....

Personally, i keep my mustang (i have a thing for shelbys and 65-68's) for running around town daily for work and stuff so you might want to hold onto the ol' stang as a beater when the trips to macdonalds drive-thru are in the mix.....

you could do worse, like a gallardo or something

Originally Posted by yousef

thanks guys i can't wait
Old 06-12-2009, 04:32 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With your questions of the GT3, and view of the Turbo, you just aren't suited for them (in a non pompous or bias way)... Most people know what they want and are about when buying a GT Porsche, even a turbo!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:46 PM
LERA GT2
Rennlist Member

I suggest you get a Carrera S in order to develop and acquire the feel for what you are looking for!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

Yousef:

In deference to fact that you're a new user, here's a little more color on the sunroof issue.

Among the 911 family, the GT3 is seen as the purist Porsche; one geared towards minimal creature comforts (but still pretty darn nice) and maximum driving experience. It's also targeted very much at people that track their car on a regular basis. Part of the design brief is minimizing weight wherever possible within reason as well as maximizing driving dynamics by achieving a lower center of gravity. All this stuff matters a lot to folks that track their cars. Hence a sunroof is seen as an unnecessary luxury for the majority of GT3 owners. Losing the sunroof has the added benefit of enhancing the structural integrity of the body shell, albeit likely marginally.

The reason the sunroof is such a hot button issue here is that Porsche decided with the Gen1 997 GT3 not to go through the added marginal cost of certifying both sunroof and non-sunroof cars with the US DOT, forcing all US buyers to take a sunroof that most did not want. Meanwhile the rest of the world got GT3s without sunroofs. Needless to say the tribe was not happy and complained vociferously to anyone and everyone associated with Porsche NA about the US slight. Hence the new Gen2 GT3 is coming without sunroof - at least we think that's the case...

Now if you really must have a sunroof there are a slew of low-mile, pristine 997 Gen1 GT3s on the used market and you'll easily save $30k-$40k over buying a new 2010.

Regarding the wing, I'm not a particular fan either but as others have pointed out it's required on this car. Remember the 911 is essentially a 40yr-old design. If Porsche we're designing clean-sheet as they did with the Carrera GT the aero requirements could be integrated much more subtly but that's not the case.

I would strongly advise you to drive all the 911 variants before making your final decision. Magazine tests are nice but they can never tell you which car best fits your individual preferences.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:55 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Great suggestion
Carrera S= no wing AND sunroof.
the Carrera S has the 3.8l motor and is almost as fast as the GT3
that would be a great choice without knowing much about the GT cars

Quick Reply: I'm ready!