Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3

What do you think are the must have options for the new GT3?
Old 05-21-2009, 02:20 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,958 Likes on 2,809 Posts

That's one of the few Porsches that's great with no options. If I could pick one option, it would be the Sport Bucket Seats (from the GT2). The dynamic engine mounts and front axle lift will be popular ones. Full leather is nice, PCCB's are nice, etc.

But really, a dead stripper with $0 in options would be just fine by me (White, Black, Yellow, and Red paint are free)...
Old 05-21-2009, 02:42 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCCBs
Xenons
Front lift system
Dynamic engine mounts

The above will have a big effect on resale "appeal".

Many here passed on the initial release so they could have some of the above options when they became available.

Nice to have:-

GT2 seats (if you fit in them)
Old 05-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

Default £

Don’t forget that the mk2 GT3 will feature larger upgraded steel brakes as standard that have been widely reviewed so far as amazing. More than one reviewer has said they are now so good that they make PCCB's seem a pointless now! I therefore don’t expect PCCB's to be quite as "must have" on the mk2 GT3, but time will tell.

I expect the front lift system to be a "must have". With -30mm suspension and a less forgiving protruding front lip design I’m pretty sure the car will be almost undriveable on the road day to day without this. Unless you only ever intend to drive the car on a track (and to transport it on a trailer to/from the race course), I think it will be a major inconvenience to not have this - certainly on most European bumpy unkept roads.

Dynamic mounts I think will be a personal choice issue, better for those heavily track biased cars (i.e. clubsport spec), worse for those cars that will see little or no track time (i.e. lux spec).

PCM was never quite as much a "must have" on GT3 as it was on other carrera models, but with the new CDR-30 standard fit system looking a whole lot prettier than the gen1 std audio, its less "must have" than ever.

A sporty colour is probably "must have". Colours frowned upon on most carreras are welcomed on GT3. I cant see macadamia being a big hit on GT3 orders!

Last edited by Adam2S; 05-21-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

+1
-Sport seats
-Dynamic engine mounts
-Front axle lift, if not a dedicated track car, not needed here in South Florida, but nice to have on a daily driver.
-Full leather to pretty it up inside if it is not a dedicted track car.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,958 Likes on 2,809 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
PCCBs
Xenons
Front lift system
Dynamic engine mounts

The above will have a big effect on resale "appeal".

Many here passed on the initial release so they could have some of the above options when they became available.

Nice to have:-

GT2 seats (if you fit in them)
Xenons are standard this time (Halogens are a free "lightweight" option and the dynamic headlights are a cost option). I'd go with the standard Xenons myself...
Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam2S
Don’t forget that the mk2 GT3 will feature larger upgraded steel brakes as standard that have been widely reviewed so far as amazing. More than one reviewer has said they are now so good that they make PCCB's seem a pointless now! I therefore don’t expect PCCB's to be quite as "must have" on the mk2 GT3, but time will tell.
Hurley Haywood made this exact point to me at a recent PSDS dinner. He would not spec the PCCBs (and is not rec same for Brumos clients). He thinks they are great but not necessary at this time and, most interestingly, thinks the additional weight of the steel on the front tires a benefit (I was surprised by that). One man's opinion, albeit an informed one. That all said, however, if resale value is an important factor I would spec the same...
Old 05-21-2009, 11:29 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
That's one of the few Porsches that's great with no options. If I could pick one option, it would be the Sport Bucket Seats (from the GT2). The dynamic engine mounts and front axle lift will be popular ones. Full leather is nice, PCCB's are nice, etc.

But really, a dead stripper with $0 in options would be just fine by me (White, Black, Yellow, and Red paint are free)...

None of the paint colors are free.

Some just don't have an up charge!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:39 PM
flash1034
Pro

Im getting ready to order my new GT3. Im also torn between the new steel brakes and the new PCCBs. Im getting to the point in my deliberation that I loke the red calipers best so Im going with the standard brakes. The two seem so close now that Its hard to decide. I like the lower replacement costs of the standard brakes but the lower weight of the PCCBs.

Flash
Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

I went through the same thought process to dismiss the PCCB brakes:

- Standard brakes now upgraded and lighter weight (new wheels lightweight too!)
- there was an unofficial review from a Rennlister stating that the PCCBs felt "too light"
- cheaper replacement costs for track guys
- red paint more desirable for my color scheme (minor, but still has some clout)

I figured I would just take my wife on a very nice vacation instead ! Money very well spent.

Cheers!
Doug N.

Last edited by DJN; 05-21-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:16 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

So have they got all the weight out of the new steel brakes?

If not, for me it is still ceramics (probably is anyway since they feel so much better in operation). Try them for yourself, before you decide based upon "paper" arguments.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:35 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dougrhea@telusplanet.net
I went through the same thought process for the PCCB brakes:

- Standard brakes now upgraded and lighter weight (new wheels lightweight too!)
- there was an unofficial review from a Rennlister stating that the PCCBs felt "too light"
- cheaper replacement costs for track guys
- red paint more desirable for my color scheme (minor, but still has some clout)

I figured I would just take my wife on a very nice vacation instead ! Money very well spent.

Cheers!
Doug N.
Agree 100%
Interesting that Porsche has "invested" in upgrades to the steel brakes

I continue to be amazed that people think PCCB's are "must haves"
I've owned and driven P cars with both and think it is a complete waste of money
--They do NOT stop better on the street; proven with tests in various magazines comparing both PCCB & steel brakes on a 911 (not hard to believe as braking distance today is decided mainly by the tires)
--Not practical for track; can be damaged in an "off" by rocks/gravel or chipped when changing wheels; pads must be changed at 50%. Every PCCB owner I know who tracks has switched to steel. Brakes are a wear item and cost of PCCB replacement is prohibitive (note the gentlemen who now owns 2 997 GT2's and has switched both cars to steel for track use)
--Lighter unsprung weight IS an advantage for PCCB, but can be realized with lighter wheels...for much less $$
--Only real advantage of PCCB is MUCH less brake dust; however switching steel pads to carbon ceramic (available from many suppliers...EBC Redstuff, Carobtech Bobcat, Akebono, etc) will reduce steel dust by ~60-70% for approx $200-$300
Old 05-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

Originally Posted by cello
That all said, however, if resale value is an important factor I would spec the same...
Yes a car with PCCB will have a higher resale value but I would bet my hat that its not as much as the extra they cost to spec in the first place! What people tend to actually mean by higher resale value is in fact lowest cost of ownership - in which case the steel brakes will be a winner.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:47 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^ Sometimes the difference in value is the difference between a buyer and no buyer.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:45 PM
flash1034
Pro

Im leaning toward the Big Reds for the mk2. Great brakes made even better as far as Im concerned.

Flash

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3