Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

I had some seats installed today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Smindustries
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had some seats installed today.

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up ZBB0730's old RS. My first track event is this weekend and the factory seats weren't going to cut it, so I picked up a pair of Racetech RT4009WHRs and they are a perfect fit in the car. The 'W' in the model number designates the seats as being 'Wide'. That said, they don't rub the doors or center console. I'm 6'2", ~220 pounds and they fit me perfectly whereas the Euro-spec GT3 seats are way too narrow. Even mounted to sliding rails, I have ample headroom with a helmet on.

The seats are temporary until my Tillett B1s arrive, but they'll do the trick.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:09 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice
Old 05-13-2009, 11:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,611 Likes on 2,304 Posts

congrats, great car. nice seats too.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:28 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

nice purchase!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to buy seats. I'm interested to know, do the halos interfere with your line of sight? Do they cause you to feel claustrophobic in any way?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Smindustries
Advanced

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I need to buy seats. I'm interested to know, do the halos interfere with your line of sight? Do they cause you to feel claustrophobic in any way?
They do interfere with peripheral vision and it's most noticeable when coming up to an intersection that's an acute angle. I have to lean forward with my head turned to see. That involves loosening the shoulder straps of my harness.

I bought the seats specifically for a track day I have this weekend. I'm awaiting the arrival of a pair of Tillett B1s. They'll allow me to use harnesses while retaining the factory three-point belts. They're also very light at ~5 kg with upholstery (2.75 kg without):

Old 05-16-2009, 04:45 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck this weekend. You wil def love the car after running a few laps at the track! I'll be anxious to hear how it went. Roger

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 05-16-2009, 09:47 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

The tillett seats are very nice but why?? Why bare shells in a street car?? Even cup cars have a minimum of comfort. Unless a shell is molded to your body, it will likely be very uncomfortable after a short while.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Smindustries
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Good luck this weekend. You wil def love the car after running a few laps at the track! I'll be anxious to hear how it went. Roger
Heh, I didn't see this until just now. Thanks for returning my call earlier. As I told you, I was dead wrong about the car: It's amazing. One of my buddies who owns several very nice BMW race cars and knows how to drive them well took it out for the last session. When he pulled into the garage, he was muttering to himself and swearing. I asked, "What? You don't like it?" He replied, "No! I like it too much. It's the only street car I've ever driven that comes close to a race car. It's like my World Challenge car, but with an extra hundred and fifty horses." Coming from a close friend who doesn't mince words told me that I wasn't alone in my surprise.

The machine is fantastic. Utterly fantastic.

Originally Posted by CWay27
The tillett seats are very nice but why?? Why bare shells in a street car?? Even cup cars have a minimum of comfort. Unless a shell is molded to your body, it will likely be very uncomfortable after a short while.
That's just a stock photo. The seats I'll be installing are padded and upholstered with Dinamica (a variation of Alcantera).

That said, even the bare shells are comfortable. Photos belie the actual contours of the seat. A lot of effort went into molding them such that they follow the curves of a human and there are no areas left unsupported, which is the problem with most all bare shells. I've sat in every model that Tillett makes and I find them all comfortable, upholstered or not. If I cared about saving ounces, I'd order them unupholstered, but I don't care that much since they're going into a street car.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 26 Posts

Where are you getting the Tillet seats from? Is there a US distributor or do you get them direct from England?
Old 05-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Smindustries
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jon70
Where are you getting the Tillet seats from? Is there a US distributor or do you get them direct from England?
I'm the US Tillett car seat distributor. I'd rather not turn this into an advertising thread since I'm not an advertiser and it wasn't my intent. I was simply offering information about the Racetech's as an option which fit well into the car.

If you want information about the Tilletts, please look up my contact information on their website and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. I'm easy to find through that site since I'm the only US guy with 'Car Seats Only' next to their name.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:27 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That's great Chris! I'm really glad you are enjoying the car. It will certainly spoil you! It has ruined me. Nothing else compares to it. For me, it is truly a super car that can be driven hard and not spend a fortune on maintenance. As you know, I regret selling the car. But, I'm really glad you are the one that bought and you are having such a great experience with it. Keep us informed on your progress. Roger
Old 05-18-2009, 01:09 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Smindustries
Heh, I didn't see this until just now. Thanks for returning my call earlier. As I told you, I was dead wrong about the car: It's amazing. One of my buddies who owns several very nice BMW race cars and knows how to drive them well took it out for the last session. When he pulled into the garage, he was muttering to himself and swearing. I asked, "What? You don't like it?" He replied, "No! I like it too much. It's the only street car I've ever driven that comes close to a race car. It's like my World Challenge car, but with an extra hundred and fifty horses." Coming from a close friend who doesn't mince words told me that I wasn't alone in my surprise.

The machine is fantastic. Utterly fantastic.

That's just a stock photo. The seats I'll be installing are padded and upholstered with Dinamica (a variation of Alcantera).

That said, even the bare shells are comfortable. Photos belie the actual contours of the seat. A lot of effort went into molding them such that they follow the curves of a human and there are no areas left unsupported, which is the problem with most all bare shells. I've sat in every model that Tillett makes and I find them all comfortable, upholstered or not. If I cared about saving ounces, I'd order them unupholstered, but I don't care that much since they're going into a street car.
Those Tillet seats look great. I presume they have a lot more upright strength than that photo suggests. In terms of comfort, I drive with shell seats with the cushions removed (for head room) and find it perfectly comfortable to be sitting in a bare shell. I wouldn't tour the country, but a two hour or three hour drive to the track is comfortable enough.

I hope there are road laws against driving on the street with a halo/elephant ears seat. Even on the track, those blinkers obscure peripheral vision and create a blind spot the size of two minivans doing 80 mph in the fast lane.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,611 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

I hope there are road laws against driving on the street with a halo/elephant ears seat. Even on the track, those blinkers obscure peripheral vision and create a blind spot the size of two minivans doing 80 mph in the fast lane.
it really depends on how tall you are. with my elephant seats i back my car into the garage. it's usually pared with in 3" of the wall on passenger side so i can maximize my tiny garage. if i had any blind spot using those seat, i would have not much paint left on the car!

but for sure, if you are taller than 5'9" you be looking right at the EARS. i usually look down through it.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:58 PM
N-Dub
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tillet makes some of the most comfortable and best kart seats there are! I would expect nothing less with their car seats!

Quick Reply: I had some seats installed today.