Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Calabogie Motorsports Park Review - Best trackday ever

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:29 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calabogie Motorsports Park Review - Best trackday ever

Wow, what an awesome weekend!! We had the rare opportunity to enjoy one of North America’s finest and newest racetracks, almost to ourselves. With only nine cars signed up, we had essentially unlimited track time. I did ~80 laps on the 5km track for a total of 400km on-track! Before lunch, I already had six sessions completed.

The track

For those that haven’t been to Calabogie, it’s a stunningly beautiful track with 20 corners, elevation changes, and corners with blind entries. For the most part, the track is very safe with room to spin and to push your car. I think to feel comfortable on this track, you need half a day (just to figure out where the track goes with 20 corners), but to go fast I think would take a year.

The track itself is picturesque and smooth as a billiard table. That smoothness allows you to really feel the car and the chassis through corners and in the braking zones. You don’t have to position the car based on bumps or have the grip disturbed by poor surfaces. Instead, it’s just you and the car dancing through the hills.

Warm welcome

I have to also give huge kudos to track manager Bruce Gregory for his hospitality and good nature. He welcomed us with open arms and treated us like we had been lifelong friends. I’ve never been to a track before where the track manager has been so kind, easy-going, professional and caring; a rare treat that I hope to experience again and again at Calabogie.

Lap around the track

A really fast lap on this track (maybe a lap record?) for a production car is 2:17 set in a 997 GT3. I was quite a ways behind at 2:26, but given how long the lap is, and being the first time out, I’m not too concerned. Regardless, I hope to get a lot closer the next time out as I understand the track and the fast way around better.

Let’s take a lap around this amazing track called Calabogie Motorsports Park (from the Calabogie Motorsport Park website):

http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/...=47&Itemid=130

Love at first drive

For myself, the corners I loved the most are 4 (Easy), 7 (Candy Mountain), 9 (Deliverance), 15 (Spoon) and 16 (4Left). I love 4, 7, and 9 because they are blind, full throttle corners where the car comes over the crest and feels like you’re being shot out of cannon. I love 9 and 15 because they make your palms sweaty being such high speed corners if you get them right. The corners I struggled with the most were the slower ones (19, 20) and a fast one that requires a lot of confidence (the Kink at corner 1). I didn’t mind 8 (Temptation) because I love trail braking the GT3 and could carry a lot of speed in while still being at the right angle coming out.

Conclusion

I still have a long ways to go before mastering this track, but what a thrill and an opportunity it was to drive such a world-class track in my own backyard!! Thank you to Bruce for allowing us to enjoy a great day, on a great track, with stunning scenery, in a great car! When I get a chance later tonight, I’ll add some pics and hopefully an in-car video (does this track no justice).
Old 05-11-2009, 03:20 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You had to go and post that after I canceled the LCMT and Calabogie events in July with Northeast PCA Region! {sigh}

Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That place looks sweet! You lucky dog.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:08 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice vid from their web

CLICK ME
Old 05-11-2009, 07:10 PM
vtgts300kw
Advanced

Wicked track.

Love the last few turns coming onto the pit straight.

Man that GT3 driver is smooth.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Check out http://www.racedv.com. You've got a bunch of different cars at calabogie and LCMT.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

Another good video: http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/...138&video_id=3

Phenomenal track. Less than an hour from home

I posted in the Canada forum that one of my buddies is an automotive journalist and he was at Infineon recently testing the SuperSnake Cobra. His comment was "This place has nothing on Calabogie."

The secret is out ...
Old 05-12-2009, 01:33 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by MJones
Nice vid from their web

CLICK ME
SICK!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bruce Gregory is a great guy.

He bought a set of GiroDiscs for his GT3, probably about the nicest & easiest to work with person I've ever met.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:58 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Some pics from Calabogie. My friend is new to his SLR so forgive him as he learns: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8126751...7618047743236/
Old 05-12-2009, 08:39 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Just a slightly nicer track than Mission, eh Farz?

I'm calling you names right now, but don't take it personally.

Enjoy your track days out there!

Cheers,
Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Ditto. Great Track, Great People. Montréal trackies have it made!
Chris, YOU NEED an autocross track nearby!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:40 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Hey Allan, great to hear from you. I know I'm being a bugger saying this, but I'm allowed given the winters we have to suffer through as compared to the balmy temps out west. One of the reasons I live on the east coast is because of the number of tracks nearby.

Within a few hours drive, we have Mosport, Calabogie, Watkins Glen, Mt. Tremblant, Shannonville, Cayuga, and Dunnville! I haven't even tapped deep into the east coast USA tracks in that list either. What more can you ask for, a GT3 and seven tracks within driving distance!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:44 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Yeah....you are a bugger Farz! j/k You have a great point about suffering through that winter. But we're all nice folks out here. Can't you send a track or two our way?

Enjoy your summer!
Old 05-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks like a fun track. I'm gonna have to do an East coast track trip one of these summers!

Quick Reply: Calabogie Motorsports Park Review - Best trackday ever