Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 understeer

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 AM
YearOne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 understeer

My GT3 has had a geometry set up for fast road/track use and when it was on Toyo 888s it was great but since changing to Michelin PS2s it has so much slow speed understeer. On roundabouts which are second gear I used to be able to balance the car using the front end grip by turning in, lifting to transfer the weight, let the front grip and slide the back around and generally play with the balance. Now however any use of the throttle at all causes bags of push understeer and even a severe lift doesn't help and its beginning to really annoy me. Its just not getting enough grip to the front tyres. The rear bar is on full stiff but would a GT2 rear bar help or do i need to go back to 888s? My other thought was softening the bars off to give it more transfer to compensate for the lower grip levels of the PS2s

Help please!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:14 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PS2's suck. go back to any dot-r and the handlng will improve dramatically.

stiffen the rear bar first (helps the rear turn) ,then try softening the front (more bite) I run mine 1 from soft in the rear and in the middle fornt (no softer then that)
Old 05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

Before you spend any money on new parts/tires, first just double check to see if your alignment has gotten knocked out of whack. Could be as simple as that.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:17 PM
YearOne
Racer

I think playing around with the bars is the best think to try, the alignment is good but needs rechecked anyway as I have just had the front left top mount fixed under warranty.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:41 PM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
PS2's suck. go back to any dot-r and the handlng will improve dramatically.

stiffen the rear bar first (helps the rear turn) ,then try softening the front (more bite) I run mine 1 from soft in the rear and in the middle fornt (no softer then that)
+1 ---> PS2's Suck
Old 05-08-2009, 03:58 PM
mental dental
Advanced

Get some decent tyres/tires, Pirelli Corsas if mainly road use. have been advised by Fearnsport at Silverstone to fit GT2 rear arb. Got given one when I bought my RS, previous owner never got round to fitting it. Will be done as soon as engine rebuilt!
Old 05-08-2009, 04:06 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

you won't be able to play with bars, they're almost maxed out to reduce understeer. You need a new rear bar, or better matching front/rear bars.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:40 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires are cheaper that the fix of suspension. to reduce your push you have to put stiffer springs in the rear so you can soften the rear sway and stiffen the front sway. this will balance the car. Your talking some bucks to do it right. I like the suggestion of checking the alignment, without rear toe links it does not hold rear toe. Step one would be alignment, step two would be better tires or play with air pressure. Step three is go to stiffer rear spring softer rear sway setting.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:08 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

+1 on alignment... the PS2's slip angle are noticeably higher than R888s, especially with increase in heat, so a higher negative camber might help.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Install a 997 GT2 rear sway bar. This is the miracle cure for 997 GT3 understeer. PS2 tires will not have as much grip as an R compound. Use Pirelli Corsa System tires, the OEM tire for the GT3 and RS. Far better than the PS2.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:40 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Understeer

The comments made in this thread are right on target. Blending all these ideas together have yielded very consistent results with my car.

1) oem MPSC's understeer like crazy. Just don't use them on the track.
2) The car likes the rear bar on soft setting
3) Front sway on firmer setting helps
4) stiffer rear springs help
5) lots of front camber is really nice and the car acts accordingly
6) tires are everything. Use Hoosier R6, Toyo R888, or Pirelli Corsa System to eliminate understeer.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 AM
YearOne
Racer

I'm going to play with the bars and see what I can yield. Id like to get the car balanced on the PS2s as its not the grip levels I want but the ability to slide and drift the car without it ploughing into understeer which the PS2s have given it. Failing that I guess it will back onto 888s.

Quick Reply: GT3 understeer