Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

We need to do a LSD survey - can everyone go out and do a LSD test...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:50 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default We need to do a LSD survey - can everyone go out and do a LSD test...

- jack up one rear tire with car in neutral and with hand brake off
- try and rotate the wheel

- does it spin (y/n)
- if not, what happens exactly

- i would suspect that anyone who has tracked more than 10 times has a open diff

- i also think that this LSD issue is as big as the RMS but it is far better hidden but needs exposing
Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

total of 7 GT3 (both 6 and 7, inc RS), all open diff., and confirmed by dealer. all replaced by dealer except one where i put paul guard unit in (6).

now PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF, I REPEAT DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF.

this is how the dealer tested my LSD.
car on lift
no one in car, but somehow they engaged the drivetrain such that the rear wheels are turning under power. then this brave soul picks up a piece of 2x6 or 2x8, wedge it under the tire b/n the tire and his shoulder (remember the tires are turning). he was able to hold the piece of wood and stock the moving wheel. they he said, it's completely open diff.

i asked what if it's a working diff. he said the wood would SHOOT out backwards and hurt someone and told me not to do it myself.

this is NOT a joke, i watched him do it. i was told that's the real test. i am just a messenger.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:10 AM
PorscheII
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well ... this is not a new issue. Low end friction discs have been the norm in street cars since even before the 993 came out.

The proper way to test is: one wheel up, other wheel properly blocked, handbrake off, trans in neutral. Oh ... ENGINE OFF (lol). Grasp the loose tire and turn it. The greater the resistance, the more aggressive (useful for track) the LSD.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:32 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- jack up one rear tire with car in neutral and with hand brake off
- try and rotate the wheel

- does it spin (y/n)
- if not, what happens exactly

- i would suspect that anyone who has tracked more than 10 times has a open diff

- i also think that this LSD issue is as big as the RMS but it is far better hidden but needs exposing
I did the above test yesterday...and the wheel turns easily. Not freely, but easily.

But, Paul, is this the proper test??? When I do the same with car in gear, and both rear wheels in the air, both wheels turn...isn't this the right way to check the LSD? I'm confused...
Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
total of 7 GT3 (both 6 and 7, inc RS), all open diff., and confirmed by dealer. all replaced by dealer except one where i put paul guard unit in (6).

car on lift
no one in car, but somehow they engaged the drivetrain such that the rear wheels are turning under power. then this brave soul picks up a piece of 2x6 or 2x8, wedge it under the tire b/n the tire and his shoulder (remember the tires are turning). he was able to hold the piece of wood and stock the moving wheel. they he said, it's completely open diff.

i asked what if it's a working diff. he said the wood would SHOOT out backwards and hurt someone and told me not to do it myself.

this is NOT a joke, i watched him do it. i was told that's the real test. i am just a messenger.

Now we are starting to getting somewhere. This makes the most sense to me!!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:42 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

car on lift

as i understand, this is effectively the same as leaving the car with one wheel on the ground (i.e. the guy with the wood board on his shoulder) and spinning the other wheel with your hand (i.e. not using the engine and gears to turn the wheels) - i.e. either there is a mechanical / friction connection (with some slip) between the left and right wheels via the LSD friction plates or there isn't

lets put it this way, if your hand can overcome the friction plates in the LSD, there is no way it will be doing anything when you are trail braking a 3100# car plus driver into the busstop at Watkins Glen at 145mph or pick your favorite 50mph 90 degree corner where the inside wheel has less traction (doesn't even need to be in the air)

i would love to see the flying board test done on a Guard Unit though

paul
Old 04-06-2009, 12:44 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

car on lift

This sounds like a real valid stationary test. The other one is real life driving: Does the car keep accelerating and puts the power down on both wheels sideways coming out of a corner? Yes or No? (Do at your own skill/risk?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:15 PM
PorscheII
Intermediate

You're not providing enough info, Bobby. Tell us which direction the other tire is turning.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:27 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will check this out, but when you jack one tire up, leaving the other on the ground you have to put the car in gear to lock the axle so that you can see how much give there is between the two tires by way of the friction disks. If its not in gear then you are just going to turn the axle I may be wrong will update when I get a reply.
I was wrong this is a email from Joe Reiser who responds to questions on the PCA web

If you take the car out of gear, chock a wheel or two, jack up one side of the back of the car, and turn the raised rear wheel with a torque wrench, how many foot pounds of torque does it take to start turning? Less than 5 like a 996 street GT3 is no good. 150 like a 997 Cup is excessive for a street car. What we want is somewhere in between. 20 to 40 is ideal. You have to go to the center axle nut to get an accurate reading because the other 5 lugs are off-center. But using one of them is probably close enough for this test.

Joel R

I did not put a wrench on it but I could spine mine like a top.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, if the car will power oversteer then the diff is working correctly ? Two black marks will confirm the diff is locking up.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:58 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Could bad LSDs be why GT3s are wearing out rear brake pads so quickly? (TC and PSM intervening too much?)
Old 04-06-2009, 05:14 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Greygt3
Correct me if I'm wrong, if the car will power oversteer then the diff is working correctly ? Two black marks will confirm the diff is locking up.
- given a slow corner with lots of steering angle, all gt3s with lots of throttle will "power/snap" oversteer (given the engine location)

- black marks on the road is not the test to do
Old 04-06-2009, 05:20 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Could bad LSDs be why GT3s are wearing out rear brake pads so quickly? (TC and PSM intervening too much?)
- gt3s don't have Stability Management but do have Traction Control
- i would think that this is possible but it could also be from a heavy right foot and driving with TC (ON) - but you may be onto something (hard to prove likely)
Old 04-06-2009, 07:54 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- gt3s don't have Stability Management but do have Traction Control
- i would think that this is possible but it could also be from a heavy right foot and driving with TC (ON) - but you may be onto something (hard to prove likely)
Good question:

- Excessive rear Brake pad wear is a clear indication of driving with TC on (and forcing the system to operate)

- However, I'm not sure if TC helps the LSD in its job, or makes it work harder? (Working against the brakes?) Opinions? Sure thing is that in LSDless 997s the rear brakes act as an LSD by stopping the inside wheel spinning, but they rob power from the car, instead of applying it like with a proper LSD (that's why a LSD car will still accelerate hard while still going sideways.)
Old 04-06-2009, 07:58 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greygt3
ANY RWD can power overtsteer and leave 2 black marks (with LSD or without). Just needs enough power / gas. Cars without LSD will sometimes leave ONLY 1 black tire mark, and you will feel a definetively loss of forward acceleration while the engine still revs up (with LSD there's no loss in forward acceleration : "putting the power down")

The main thing I don't understand is why some people complain about the LSD not working if they drive with TC ON??!!
TC doesn't let the LSD do its full work. Acceleration coming our of a corner at the limit is very different with or without TC (and SC obviously in case of a GT2)

Quick Reply: We need to do a LSD survey - can everyone go out and do a LSD test...