Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Autoweek... missed this one.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by am722
Another disgruntled RS owner! Lol. I should probably just log off and see how I can drag myself out of poverty so I can join your orange car with decal club.

Douche.
And for the record, anyone on this porsche forum who tracks a RSR is probably not a Douche......
Old 04-05-2009, 09:52 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
IMHO

i think the fact that Porsche built less then 1500 normally aspirated 2wd cars in widebody format for 2007-2008 was special to me. Espcially in the orange or the green colors...
Now, if i didnt do track events and such, and wanted a great daily driver i would probably have a carrera 2S as they are great cars.
I'm not arguing that the RS isn't a special car. It is. So is the GT3. My sentiments in this thread are the culmination of watching people actively rooting against a new RS because they currently own one and hope that Porsche never builds another one again. I'm not saying that leif or dertub are these people, but they are certainly out there, and as far as I'm concerned that sort of attitude is the opposite of what a real "enthusiast" would want. My comments about the colors and decals were simply ad hominem attacks (which I've apologized for).
Old 04-05-2009, 10:09 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh, they've been doing that for a couple of years now. If what we're seeing about the next RS pans out (wider front fenders, more hp than the standard GT3, true cup-style wing, etc) it will be doing more justice to the RS legacy than the '07 and '08 (which, other than a few cheap parts, some loud paint and stickers, was indistinguishable from the "normal" GT3).
Well, since I started this thread, maybe I can end it as well. I bought my '04 GT3 instead of a Turbo because it became available in the U.S. It represented a car that was offered in the direction of a normally aspirated, lightweight car that I had always seen as the original goal of Porsche as a company. I bought the RS in '07 because it became available in the U.S. and was another step forward in the direction of my original ideal car. If I had thought that the '07 RS was just paint and tape and cheap parts, I would have passed. Will the 2010 be another step forward or just a marketing ploy in a bad economy? I don't know. We will all know soon. I can't see Porsche making a bad step. But, the close proximity of RS offerings is a little out of character based on past history.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Rumors have it that the next RS will be a 4 liter DFI engine. Typical RS - a homologation special. We'll see in a year or so ...
Old 04-05-2009, 10:18 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

That would be really great! (as it should be)
Old 04-05-2009, 11:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,741 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Rumors have it that the next RS will be a 4 liter DFI engine. Typical RS - a homologation special. We'll see in a year or so ...
what do you mean by NEXT RS?
997.2RS or
998RS?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:34 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

I'm not arguing that the RS isn't a special car. It is. So is the GT3. My sentiments in this thread are the culmination of watching people actively rooting against a new RS because they currently own one and hope that Porsche never builds another one again. I'm not saying that leif or dertub are these people, but they are certainly out there, and as far as I'm concerned that sort of attitude is the opposite of what a real "enthusiast" would want. My comments about the colors and decals were simply ad hominem attacks (which I've apologized for).

sorry for coming back at you so strongly...I am wishing that I could have one of each model of all P-cars....I love them all....really....I hope they can keep on improving them and still maintain that aura of rawness that I personally love...I probably will defer from any that are paddle shifters or PDK....I am more of a "hands in the motor" type of guy.....already have over 26K on my GT3 DD and smile everytime the garage door opens and I am allowed to have the opportunity to enjoy such a great car...
Old 04-06-2009, 08:48 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by leif997
sorry for coming back at you so strongly...I am wishing that I could have one of each model of all P-cars....I love them all....really....I hope they can keep on improving them and still maintain that aura of rawness that I personally love...I probably will defer from any that are paddle shifters or PDK....I am more of a "hands in the motor" type of guy.....already have over 26K on my GT3 DD and smile everytime the garage door opens and I am allowed to have the opportunity to enjoy such a great car...
That would be cute, a GT3 RS with PDK!!! I'm with you.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:14 AM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by leif997
Thanks and sorry as well. I like the C2S but if I'm honest it's a little soft. I'm trading up to a GT3 as a daily driver at some point this year and adding an E30 m3 when I find a suitable storage area. I'm with you on the manual trannies, I won't own a paddle shifter until they stop making sticks.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:23 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell by your post that you wish your green RS was a beautiful and unique snowflake, that you thought it was when you bought it, and that you are more than a little pissed that they're making a better one.

I won't be paying any markup for (or even purchasing) an RS, because I (unlike you) recognize that there will be a better and rarer car just around the corner, and that "RS" just like "GTS" has become the German abbreviation for "$20k extra in profit."
I WAS pissed I didn't get one the first round for the same reason but if Porsche keeps making an RS with every GT3 refresh, then they are from a collector standpoint worthless IMHO. Unless they are making a gulf blue RS I may pull my deposit. I'm already looking at Scuderia's
Old 04-06-2009, 12:34 PM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by va122
I WAS pissed I didn't get one the first round for the same reason but if Porsche keeps making an RS with every GT3 refresh, then they are from a collector standpoint worthless IMHO. Unless they are making a gulf blue RS I may pull my deposit. I'm already looking at Scuderia's
Last I heard the factory was refusing to do Gulf Blue paint to sample because they were getting inconsistent results on the different materials on the cars. I think the last production Porsche that they could do Gulf Blue on was the CGT, and only because it is all carbon fiber. Apparently they are constantly revising their PTS list though so maybe they will fix the issue by the time the new RS shows up.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Wayward
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
"I" 22...

Bingo.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

It may be time to get that Chrysler Hemi. On second thought, I just may go back and restore something old like a '73.5 911. Like I said, if Porsche finds that the RS is just a new marketing ploy, then count me out. A true gulf blue and orange RS homoligation based on the 3.8 with lighter weight might sway my opinion.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by dertub
It may be time to get that Chrysler Hemi. On second thought, I just may go back and restore something old like a '73.5 911. Like I said, if Porsche finds that the RS is just a new marketing ploy, then count me out. A true gulf blue and orange RS homoligation based on the 3.8 with lighter weight might sway my opinion.
Something like the 911 Chris Harris built would certainly fit the bill. http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...2&CT=V&FLT=34|
Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Here ya go...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Autoweek... missed this one.