Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Mooty's in his first PCA race this weekend.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:41 AM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, congrats Mooty! Great job out there

What Mooty didn't elaborate on was that the pro - "Mike" - was Mike Petersen of ALMS Petersen/White Lightening. Petersen's 06 RSR in full GT2 ALMS trim couldn't make sound, so I guess he hopped in the SpecBox. In any case, he was a little too crafty for Mooty on Sat. but Mooty learned and kept him in check on Sun. for the win.
Mooty, loved the way you didn't flinch and blocked the cup car(he started at the back for some reason) that was on your bumper going up 5 and through 6(?) near the beginning of the race. Petersen was right on the cup's bumper and was waiting to pounce if you made a mistake. Lesson learned!
Old 03-30-2009, 01:46 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
as usual i over cooked my brakes.
Congrats John!!!!! Sounds like you had a ball.... I seem to recall the braking style is something that you have had for quite sometime (remembering a day back at Button Willow when I first went out on the track with you).

Good luck on your next race.

Last edited by viperbob; 03-30-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
^ - yes the beginning of the end - Cup car is just around the corner!

JCM
perhaps, when i win the lottery
Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjb
Yes, congrats Mooty! Great job out there

What Mooty didn't elaborate on was that the pro - "Mike" - was Mike Petersen of ALMS Petersen/White Lightening. Petersen's 06 RSR in full GT2 ALMS trim couldn't make sound, so I guess he hopped in the SpecBox. In any case, he was a little too crafty for Mooty on Sat. but Mooty learned and kept him in check on Sun. for the win.
Mooty, loved the way you didn't flinch and blocked the cup car(he started at the back for some reason) that was on your bumper going up 5 and through 6(?) near the beginning of the race. Petersen was right on the cup's bumper and was waiting to pounce if you made a mistake. Lesson learned!
the 7 cup stated at back b/c he missed his grid call and i think GGR was not happy with his 30+ mph speed in paddock.

i saw 7cup coming up and i saw mike behind him. if i moved aside, mike would get under me with the cup car and i would lose momentum and get dropped. i made my car very WIDE, without blocking him. there is not room for him to get me at T5, on the downhill side of T5 the box will outhandle the cup on slicks as long as i protected the inside. i will lose out at T6 as planned, but all this time he's behind me i can drive with my usual throttle input to not allow mike to gain on me. sat, i would have lifted to "help" fast cars get by and then lose ground against other BSR.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:20 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, I was watching turns 14 and 15 for the Club race on Saturday. The BSR that was ahead of you had a different line than you (or anyone else for that matter) through 14 and 15. He actually went outside the yellow dots consistently, rather than take the inside tighter line. I hadn't seen anyone do that before, except when overcooking that corner, and haven't done it myself. Just an observation. BTW, you looked good out there!
Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lawjdc
John, I was watching turns 14 and 15 for the Club race on Saturday. The BSR that was ahead of you had a different line than you (or anyone else for that matter) through 14 and 15. He actually went outside the yellow dots consistently, rather than take the inside tighter line. I hadn't seen anyone do that before, except when overcooking that corner, and haven't done it myself. Just an observation. BTW, you looked good out there!

TECHNICALLY, that's considered an "off". i think SCCA or NASA will penalize you for that or they put BIG pylons there. (i think, dont quote me on that, i heard it somewhere). locals are told of that so we ignore that part of the track. if you took that line, you dont have to lift at all for T15.

i enter 14 very slow, turn, and feed to WOT without lifting for T15. but i just have enough track to do that. i can't make any mistakes, else i have to lift.

his line gives more "latitude" for mistake. BUT, if you go too far out of yellow dot, rear gets lose. i tried his line. i didn't like how it felt.

however, there's no doubt that mike is the better driver. i was happy behind him on sat. i LEARNED A LOT.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
and dont forget the video.
ahem... edit out all the mistakes i made....

today i got smart. i picked outside of the row since there's odd number of spec 911 in front. this way i am one row ahead of all BSR's. yesterday i picked inside natrually and got hosed.

once i got the inside i wasn't going to give up the apex to the faster 911's. went side by side from T1 to T3, then he backed off and the 911 held up mike and relieved pressure off me. i didn't yield to any cars, even if they were in faster class, which i did yesterday and really lost mometum. i figured if you got more hp, you can get by me.

mike was faster than i. half way into the race, he rode on my bumpers, but my defensive driving prevented him from passing. then double yellow REALLY helped out.

of course, we are under yellow, 2-3 laps to go, my fuel light came on....

single file restart, i saw the flag, got on it, squeezed into apex under spec 911 (you know those *** heavy 911's have to stay wide, while i just stick to the inside berm with no prob). one i squeezed by, 911 closed the door on mike. whew... good for me., last lap, T2, i got a "point by" from a spec 911. nice. i hugged inside of T2, he's outside, so again mike had no place to go. by then he realized there's no more chance to get me....

CHECKER flag...

qual'd at 2:06:500
fast race lap 2:07:xxx
flag to flag lead, YES
You know if you keep winning flag to flag they're going to discover that 3.6 kit you put in the BSR ...

Kidding!

Nice work.

I was reading another Blog (now that Rennlist has become your blog ... : ) and another decent driver has already targeted you as the competition ... www.lewishamilton.com
Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You know if you keep winning flag to flag they're going to discover that 3.6 kit you put in the BSR ...

Kidding!

Nice work.

I was reading another Blog (now that Rennlist has become your blog ... : ) and another decent driver has already targeted you as the competition ... www.lewishamilton.com
i would never do that. i got a 3.8L X51 with 20psi turbo.

lewis. well... he's much more refined, clean cut, british and "prettier" looking than i. i am a real man, not the GQ type LOL.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:24 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

It was fun watching you in both races.

I liked the mixed field that raced, although the yellow on Sunday seemed to throw the race for the leaders of the first group.

Great weekend except for the wind.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:31 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ are you dan on boxster spec site?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 PM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pre-grid:

Mooty sitting in pole for SPBox

GGR's pace car... we don't mess around! haha
Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 PM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Grid:

Old 03-30-2009, 08:36 PM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

SPBox Grid:

RACE!!!:

Old 03-30-2009, 08:38 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

good job chasen.
he's black sheep racing's official photographer, data analyzer and chase cam down load expert.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:45 PM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Full course caution! here comes the pace car!

Quick Reply: Mooty's in his first PCA race this weekend.....