Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My RS loses 74lbs the hard way - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:06 PM
grussell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This work is being done on my race car in an attempt to achieve a 5lb/hp ratio (2400lbs 475RWHP). My street RS remains as shown in the following photos. Nice thing about having both is that I am not tempted to cut up the beuatiful street car.
Attached Images    
Old 01-07-2009, 01:35 PM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You're right, it does hurt to watch. And if there was anyone I thought I would never beat their head against this particular brick wall again ... : )

ps. Garrett, surely your budget is very close to RSR territory. I know of an '08 for sale. Probably actually save you money at around $450K.
That is a good point and I have thought of buying one many times. The main reasons that I did not buy an RSR are:

1. If you take a new RSR to club races you are expected to win and there may not be any cars in your class to race with. I enjoy telling people when asked that it started life as a GT3 street car.

2. I take a lot of pride in knowing that I created this car with my own ideas and creativity.

3. The maintenance cost of an RSR are very high.

4. It was a challenge started by my friend and fellow racer Kevin. One day when I told him I was going to convert my street car to a GT2 class car he kind of smiled and said you think you can ever compete with the Bee? A killer 2300 lb monster with a Cup motor and a great driver named JP. Well I am still chasing JP but I am getting closer and closer. I enjoy competing in the GT2 class and really don't want to run with one or two cars in the GTA (RSR) class.

This should explain some of the madness, but the rest is just me
Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grussell
That is a good point and I have thought of buying one many times. The main reasons that I did not buy an RSR are:

1. If you take a new RSR to club races you are expected to win and there may not be any cars in your class to race with. I enjoy telling people when asked that it started life as a GT3 street car.

2. I take a lot of pride in knowing that I created this car with my own ideas and creativity.

4. It was a challenge started by my friend and fellow racer Kevin. One day when I told him I was going to convert my street car to a GT2 class car he kind of smiled and said you think you can ever compete with the Bee? A killer 2300 lb monster with a Cup motor and a great driver named JP. Well I am still chasing JP but I am getting closer and closer. I enjoy competing in the GT2 class and really don't want to run with one or two cars in the GTA (RSR) class.

Exactly... It feels so good to build a one off project car like yours as well, a great satisfaction of trial and error, endless flowing ideas to make it even greater too, the potential is endless especially with a goal in mind (to get your friend with the Bee hah ) but it is COSTLY and not very time friendly!

Your RS is gorgeous Grussell.

Miss the GT2 at all? I wanted to make it into a race spec car as well, then I realized in the class it would run in (besides for just ruining the car) it would just be way too much car and competition :/
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 PM
emmros
Instructor

wow, you are insane! my Hero! More pics please
Old 01-07-2009, 10:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

This work is being done on my race car in an attempt to achieve a 5lb/hp ratio (2400lbs 475RWHP). My street RS remains as shown in the following photos. Nice thing about having both is that I am not tempted to cut up the beuatiful street car.
right, right. save it for me when you are done.
i was a few days late on the white one!
when GQ told me it went some nut to SoCal, i knew it was you.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Of course you're preaching to the choir. I think there's a lot of guys that could afford to _buy_ an RSR, but very few who could seriously afford to campaign the thing. It's a bit like tracking a Carrera GT -- the car itself, for what it is, is relatively fairly priced, but if you talk to a few owners who really drive and a few techs who look after those driven cars, well, the numbers start to give you the same feeling in your stomach as watching the Dow drop nearly 50% and then move through a thousand point range in a day ... the meek shall inherit the earth, but they better not inherit an RSR. : )

Your exploits make for a great spectator sport for me and others here. Maybe this year I'll find something that can hobble along in GTL and add another bumper to your traffic.

Good luck and safe racing.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ps. That white/black RS at Carlsen is a nice one and a very lucky deal. I hesitated on that one for weeks. Well bought.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:51 AM
GT2Driver
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My RS loses 74lbs the hard way - Pics

Amazing project Grussel!

How much weight did the alternator and waterpump save each? Have you thought of using the RSR oil tank?

What was the weight of the dashboard and how heavy will the new custom made one be?

Is it possible to buy a carbondashboard from you?

Regards
GT2Driver
2008 997GT2
Old 01-09-2009, 05:27 PM
grussell
Pro

Here is a pic of the new dash being installed and the inside without the factory harness and ECU
Attached Images   
Old 01-09-2009, 05:32 PM
kcl
Instructor

Incredible, simply incredible.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 PM
rsman
Instructor

Looks like the 996 style dash??
Old 01-09-2009, 09:33 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I take it the liter weight alternator would not do well to run other electronics in the car besides engine and it's ancillaries? Regards. Mike
Old 01-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Max Power
Racer

Thanks for posting the pics, grussell.

There's only one other person I've heard of who's this nuts.

This guy gutted his 2007 RS, drove it in the Targa New Zealand,
and came 1st in class, 2nd overall:

http://www.gt3rsregistry.com/2007GT3...avinRiches.htm

It is good to see these cars being used to the fullest.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:35 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Of course you're preaching to the choir. I think there's a lot of guys that could afford to _buy_ an RSR, but very few who could seriously afford to campaign the thing. It's a bit like tracking a Carrera GT -- the car itself, for what it is, is relatively fairly priced, but if you talk to a few owners who really drive and a few techs who look after those driven cars, well, the numbers start to give you the same feeling in your stomach as watching the Dow drop nearly 50% and then move through a thousand point range in a day ... the meek shall inherit the earth, but they better not inherit an RSR. : )

Your exploits make for a great spectator sport for me and others here. Maybe this year I'll find something that can hobble along in GTL and add another bumper to your traffic.

Good luck and safe racing.
once again; you are spot on.....one "ding" in the carbon kevlar armor and the inevitable associated "under the skin" damages can dig really deep holes in your budget in an alarming fashion.....much cheaper to smoke crack I imagine and just as crazy I am told...still an amazing project to watch evolve...thanks for posting G
Old 01-22-2009, 06:34 PM
grussell
Pro

Here are a couple of pics with the new motor in the car and the intake being fitted.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: My RS loses 74lbs the hard way - Pics