Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Is the RS Tuning selling Secan and referred to above the one in Germany?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:48 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Is the RS Tuning selling Secan and referred to above the one in Germany?
Yes, build the engines for these people amongst others - silly prices but highest quality. They appear to have exclusivity for Secan cores and since they perform on a different level to all others they price accordingly

http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/12...e-race-car.htm
Old 01-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Assuming these are purpose built Secan and that the components of the intercoolers other than the cores are built to the same standard, it will be hard to find better on earth. Having said that, for the average Porsche enthusiast, the extra performance is probably not worth the cost.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:20 PM
GuyR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toby,

Can I suggest you log the intake vs ambient temps on stock i/cs via OBD before you embark on changing the i/cs. At this stage you do not know categorically that they are an issue.

I would also advise on going for a proven package from a proven tuner and leaving it at that, based on yours, mine and many others experience of going down a 'custom' route.

Guy
Old 01-04-2009, 07:00 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GuyR
Toby,

I would also advise on going for a proven package from a proven tuner and leaving it at that, based on yours, mine and many others experience of going down a 'custom' route.

Guy
Of course you are right - email sent with additional thoughts
Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
They appear to have exclusivity for Secan cores and since they perform on a different level to all others they price accordingly

http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/12...e-race-car.htm

Toby

This is not really the case, I have a Secan supplier and cheaper than RS, at least based on the price I was quoted for a GT2 EVO IC very recently. Also has direct access to Heggeman for the end tanks.

He will not deal with the public except people he knows well. I don't think you need the Secan though at this stage and I am far more interested to see the results you get from the ones you are planning to experiment with . Would you also buy AWE Tuning ICs to try them back to back?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:33 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Pole position if you want some of Adams (Carrera GT lap times look in Excellence. They are well published.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:15 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Apologies for those who feel I am flogging a dead horse....

First pic is 996GT2 intercooler, second pic 997tt intercooler (and B6 intercooler which fits both)
The difference seems to be the filled in bit I circled in red (is this "filled in" or is it the photo ?) on the 996GT2 Unit, apart from the filled in bit the actual orientation of the outlet looks the same so they should be interchangable... is this right ?
TIA for any help

Old 01-05-2009, 03:26 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 607 Posts

same with the AWE intercooler above - there is more room/less constriction of the outflow path for the cooled air
Old 01-10-2009, 10:37 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Apologies for those who feel I am flogging a dead horse....

First pic is 996GT2 intercooler, second pic 997tt intercooler (and B6 intercooler which fits both)
The difference seems to be the filled in bit I circled in red (is this "filled in" or is it the photo ?) on the 996GT2 Unit, apart from the filled in bit the actual orientation of the outlet looks the same so they should be interchangable... is this right ?
TIA for any help

Hey Toby not flogging at all but just to be clear... 996TT guys have tried to install 997TT intercoolers on many occasions and in order to do so have had to do some cutting/trimming around the shrouds/brackets to make it work. It's not what you'd call "factory"/"direct" fitment but can be made to work if you're ok with cutting/trimming... So in some I think what you're trying to do should be do-able as long as you're not going for "factory" fit and don't mind a bit of trimming/cutting? It's close but no cigar...

PS I don't think anyone has more efficient (or expensive) cores than Secan that's for sure. The thing that most have done is enlarge them but also had some less restrictive end tanks is all.... at least here in the US. Those B6 ones kind of scare me... not sure (I actually doubt) they're any improvement over the stock cores and I'm really not liking the end-tanks very much. I wonder what it looks like inside as well?
Old 01-10-2009, 10:41 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Alex, your patience far exceeds mine!

TB, you're in the UK, so nothing is cheap and you're running a brand spanking new GT2 and you want to fabricate new intercoolers -- expensive and usually unproductive -- so you're not afraid to spend a few quid.

I'm curious to understand what you're trying to do, so perhaps you can elaborate please and then we'll all have a better grasp of the situation and maybe offer some advice. I think what Alex has posted is pretty unambiguous but you seem to be probing for more specifics. Do you already have some ICs? Have you damaged your car and want to do more than replace stock parts? Do you want to fab something special? Do you want to use some take-offs to build a jig before you disassemble your car?

In my limited experience, I find the ICs to be one of the points of least return on investment in a forced induction system, especially at factory trim spec in late model cars. If anything, I'd be reducing the size of the IC's and cutting lag by whatever means best serves, but that's another story. For whatever reason, the 997 GT2 has caught my eye and I'm the curious type. While the move from a GT3 to a GT2 is -- in my humble -- a step backwards, I admit I'm tempted. At $200K+, the GT2 in the US is out of reach. At $180K or less, it comes into reach (although I should look up the quote about ones reach not exceeding ones grasp...)

I wonder if people are getting one and finding it lacking (hence threads on tweaking power) or if there are other aspects (lag, weight, tune) which are causing drivers to pursue ways to "improve" a 911 which is already insanely over the top (price, weight, appearance as well as power ...)

Once we understand the motive and the "plan" or why you want to fab new ICs, maybe there's a more productive line of discussion. : )
"Patience is a virtue" is something I still remember from me' mah' as a kid... I knew there was something good about being brought English I'd let everyone on the bus before me only to get left standing at the bus stop and having to wait for the next one

You're right though the IC thing (at least on a Porsche) is something that you can spend, spend and spend and it's just not simple nor necessarily viable to get rewards. The 997TT IC's are truly remarkable and many have logged them at the track and yet they remain efficient at levels way beyond the stock HP levels. Yes the end tanks "could" be better in terms of flow/restriction but maybe they had some cores left over from the 996tt days (not sure how since they made so bloody many!)

Quick Reply: GT2 intercoolers