Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Bilstein Damptronic B16 aftermarket shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstein Damptronic B16 aftermarket shocks

A month or so ago I asked if anyone had any experience with this system for the GT3 with PASM (I think B16 is the model number.) I didn't see any responses. All info will be appreciated.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:51 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't speak to the GT3 version but I was so disappointed with the 997S version I pulled it out of that car after a couple of weeks. With the GT3, I feel the oem suspension is fine - it's a true coil-over design so you can corner weight, lower, etc. - whatever you want. On the track it's not perfect, but the two dampening programs do a fair job. I wouldn't bother messing with the coilovers unless you are competing and then you'll be doing something other than damptronics.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:15 PM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed Bilstein Damptronics on a 2007 Turbo that I previously owned and they made a huge difference on that car. Having said that, I would not replace the factory GT3 coilovers with the Bilsteins. If the factory system does not meet your needs I doubt the Bilsteins would offer any improvement. I for one am very happy with the factory coilovers on my RS.

Is there something about the factory coilover's that is not living up to your expectations?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:59 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I would change if anything is a bit stiffer spring but would keep the dampers.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

I ask the question because I feel the car wallows too much, especially in comparison to a 996 GT3 which I drove back to back with my car. I have tightened both sway bars one notch which helps a little but I think the springs are just too small. But will the PASM system work if you stiffen the springs? I assume the damping is computer controlled and there are likely parameters for stiffness, compliance, etc.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Have you considered just stiffer springs with motons?

Although many people jump to around 750/1000 pound springs which must be pretty harsh no matter what dampers, I've heard multiple times that pretty stiff springs can actually give you the best of both worlds if you have a high quality damper that is tuned correctly.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:11 PM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car feels a bit unstable I would start with an alignment and corner balance. I really don't think the factory coilovers are the culprit.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

The car is not unstable at all - it just takes too long to take a set after turn-in, so (at least to me) you need to turn in, wait, and then get on the gas. The wait was much shorter in the 996 GT3. On single corners it is no big deal but in corner sequences it seems to take too long for the car to get back to neutral. Is any of this making sense?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:10 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

It sounds like you have a blown set of shocks then if you feel the 997 GT3 suspension wallows, takes too long to set, etc. Could it be alignment? Possibly - I know I wasn't happy with the balance of the car until I had the sways set up right - for my driving style. Softening the rear sway actually vastly improved stability.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:42 PM
va122
Drifting

I know what you're talking about. I drove my 6-GT3 back to back with my coaches RS and I didn't like it at all. Personally it took too long to take a set as you say and there is also too much vertical motion that should have been controlled by the PASM but it wasn't keeping up. He said it figures it out eventually but that would **** me off to no end.

Normally this is remedied with rebound damping on the shock. You can't control this with the psm, you'll need a double adjustable shock. Conversely, there are stiffer springs that will bring the spring rate in line with the dampening rate of the PSM and they are compatible. I think techart makes some.

You could go with double adj shocks/springs but you will lose the PASM. ie Motons, KW etc. and heavier springs depending on your application. I personally have Moton Motorsport 3 way s and 600/800 springs My coach, and another pro driver both said it was the best Porsche they have driven. But I have all RSR and CUP bits in the suspension. I can turn down the Motons and it rides like a caddilac even on the 800lb springs. I do over 20 track days per year so for me it was a necessity.

Question for you is how far do you want to go. And that depends on your application.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:45 PM
va122
Drifting

a blown set of shocks will be faster not slower as the dampers are no longer controlling the spring oscillations
Old 12-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

va122 and I share the same observations. I do around 25-30 track days per year but shudder at getting into double adjustable shocks. I installed a set on my Lotus Elise and was never convinced that I had anything properly adjusted. With all that variability, you really have no idea where to start and what adjustment here has consequences there. I like the idea of stiffer springs which will still be compatible with the stock "two sizes fit all." I will research this but would like to hear about other reactions.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:21 AM
TripleM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speaking of the OEM springs..Did anyone know if there's a compatible aftr mkt REAR springs in linear rate for the REAR damper?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:21 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by va122
a blown set of shocks will be faster not slower as the dampers are no longer controlling the spring oscillations
I was trying to make a joke - I guess it didn't work... Point being that for most the OEM system is pretty good given what Porsche tried to create. I personally don't like PASM in any Porsche - didn't care for it in my 997S, but the GT3 system is better. Why they had to create a "thinking" system that adjusts dampening and even if you force it into Sport vs. Normal, it will still soften things up if it wants to. When I read yours was "wallowing" I thought either you had something wrong with your suspension or you were making a sarcastic point - thus my "maybe your shocks are blown" general comment.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:19 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Terry,

- please go the moton route and figure out the settings for all of us
- the other route is to trailer the car to the glen and run slicks
- with sticky slicks you won't have to worry about the set as much and you will just be happy with 2:08s

paul

Quick Reply: Bilstein Damptronic B16 aftermarket shocks