Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GMG WC-GT2 and WC-GT3 on the cover of European Car.. Check it out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:48 AM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts
Default GMG WC-GT2 and WC-GT3 on the cover of European Car.. Check it out.

Fellow 6 Speeders.

GMG World Challenge GT2 and GT3 are on the cover of the February 09 issues which are arriving in your mail boxes this week. This should be on news stands within the next week or two.

Be sure to check out the article and video when you get a chance.

Here is a link to the video on both cars done by European Car magazine.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/videos/index.html

Many thanks to our technical partners for their continued support

GIAC , BBS Motorsport , Moton, Brembo Racing , Michelin, Sparco, Eibach

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 12-15-2008, 05:44 AM
YearOne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good but how annoying is that video?! No engine sounds or proper driving and a completely ridiculous voiceover.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What the? That narrative doesn't do the justice to the cars. Still, it can't hurt to get some coverage in one of the big magazines. Is this the same GT3:http://www.gmgracing.com/997wcgt3white.shtml ? The video mentions CF front fenders -- the close-ups look like factory. I have 265's on the front with stock wheels, so I'm curious about that particular change. I guess the GMG car now has a slightly wider track?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The video mentions CF front fenders -- the close-ups look like factory. I have 265's on the front with stock wheels, so I'm curious about that particular change. I guess the GMG car now has a slightly wider track?
When you watch the video and you see the gt3 head on, you can see for sure that the front fenders are not stock - they are painted but the shape is very different.

Wider track for sure, but also no rubbing on large steering inputs is the other benefit.

This is one of the things that I wish Porsche would change for the gt3&rs versus regular 911s - that is make the front fenders (widebody) with an increased front track and send the car out with 255 rubber but allow buyers room to run even larger rubber (265/275)

Of course, with that much rubber up front you are going to have to run 325 or bigger in the rear to balance the car (easier for the widebodies than the narrow body gt3)

What I find "interesting" is that porsche markets the car as a "trackday" kind of car yet doesn't finish the job with what 99% of the guys who track the car the car would like to have:
- better LSD
- better track gearing
- track calibrated ABS
- better aero
- wider front track with bigger rubber
Old 12-19-2008, 12:23 AM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
What I find "interesting" is that porsche markets the car as a "trackday" kind of car yet doesn't finish the job with what 99% of the guys who track the car the car would like to have:
- better LSD
- better track gearing
- track calibrated ABS
- better aero
- wider front track with bigger rubber
To answer these questions is rather simple. First and foremost, Porsche does (especially now) offer trackday versions of GT3's in the form of Cups and WC cars that come equipped with the above. The GT3 is built as a wolf in sheeps clothing, but the sheeps clothing are for the 75% of GT3 owners who never track the car.

Better LSD (assuming you mean such as a 50/80) means compromises in low speed turning (such as pulling out in traffic). My trackday Miata with a KAAZ 1.5 way skips when I try to pull out in traffic and the slightest throttle input equals throttle steering. On the track though, at speed, its much more responsive. Same thing goes with ABS. On the track, I prefer no ABS, but on the parkway going to work when some moron jumps out in front of me, I have been very grateful for the hindering device.

Gearing and aero go hand in hand - although most GT3 owners aren't skipping meals to pay for their gas, it is a consideration over say an Audi R8. More agressive aero and gearing means more shift changes on the street, higher highway RPM's, and thus less of everything.

The point being, the GT3 can be taken onto the track and ran with the best of the spec cars, but drive home on the street just as well. Thats the marketing plan, and I assume everyone that owns a GT3 didn't buy a Cup for that exact reason
Old 12-19-2008, 04:08 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

porsche makes 300 cup cars worldwide per year and 30+ RSR...

the gt3 will always just be a marketing exercise in comparison, sad to say this is the truth after seeing what the matrix really looks like.

lets all buy cup cars!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:58 AM
YearOne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The amazing thing about the GT3 is its ability to be a great track car and a sensational road car. To say that Porsche did not go far enough to making it a track car is missing the point and as has been said you can buy a cup car but then you need a trailer and 12hr gearbox rebuilds. I can take my car into the middle of a city in the morning, run it at the sharp end of a track day in the afternoon and go for a back road blast in the evening before going out for dinner in it and that is what makes it incredible.

I race various things including a Viper GT3 and have driven a cup car and compared to them the GT3 is obviously compromised on the track but then you can drive it home again. A set of slicks covers a lot of its issues on track but there will be always people who want to go further. If I purely wanted to do track days then I would buy a racecar of some description and trailer it but as it is I dont so the GT3 is for mainly road use and the track is used for racing.

This is what I was testing yesterday:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/...1aa3da.jpg?v=0
Old 12-19-2008, 06:44 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GMG is the business!!!!

Quick Reply: GMG WC-GT2 and WC-GT3 on the cover of European Car.. Check it out.