Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

More 998 pics...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 01:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks CJ and MJ Speed...you are lucky guys! I admire and respect your resistance to hurt Porsche by releasing sensative info you all saw.

We had my 2009 997S up on a lift yesterday and as I was told it appears that this engine is the base for some other upcomming race spec dry sump engines due to some plumbing routes/fixtures and so forth.

For me I am loving my 2009 C2S with PDK...it's off to Sebring for a track event next weekend to really check out PDK so i can live in my own little world.

see ya! Mike
Old 12-06-2008, 01:47 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Under all of that strange rear end camo could be this:
US Patent Application.
Pub No,:2008/0272616A1

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Under all of that strange rear end camo could be this:
US Patent Application.
Pub No,:2008/0272616A1
This reminds me; what is the use of the "lane changes" label on that car?

ps. I think MJones has a career opportunity in industrial espionage ...
Old 12-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Took me a minute to trim that doc id down enough for Google to find it. : )

http://www.google.com/search?q=20080272616

Patent lawyers are certainly paid by the word. Talk about verbose. "With the foregoing and other objects in view there is provided, in accordance with the invention (...)" ... and ... "may be adjusted, by means of an adjustment device " ... that's just pathetic.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:16 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,300 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
This reminds me; what is the use of the "lane changes" label on that car?

ps. I think MJones has a career opportunity in industrial espionage ...
why is it in english? this particular car is getting so much attention I think it's hilarious.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:15 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Interesting conversation. The essential question regarding the fate of the 911 and its potential successor really is the same as it was in 1978 when the 928 was introduced. it was a clean sheet of paper and very advanced. A lot of R&D money went into the 928, and reputations/careers were also at stake because it was a lot of money for a family owned company to invest. It was supposed to lead Porsche away from the 911 and into the modern era. My father, a 73 911T owner, said at the launch we attended that it didn't fit his idea of a Porsche. I told him it was the future. He said then he'll live in the past. The 911 is a blessing and a curse. It has defined Porsche, made tons of money for them, and won races galore. The overall design has proved flexible and adaptable in the hands of clever engineers. But how much more can be done w/ a rear engine design that must resemble a 44 year old forebear?? If Porsche actually tried another clean sheet of paper, as some suggest, would the result be the same as the 928? Can Porsche afford that mistake, again? Until the market votes the 911 out of office Porsche will continue to evolve the basic concept--evoke the 1964 shape and retain a rear mounted flat six. A Panamera coupe is a safe way to bring back the 928 and try to capture a little of that market niche (6 series/CL).
Old 12-07-2008, 05:18 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
3. like I've been saying since january, there is a 2010 997.2 gt3. we saw at least 3 of them in full production format- VIN #, no camo, painted white, silver etc. that is the closest car to market- it will be sold next year some time.

6. for a few laps, the next gen gt3 was on the track also. and it went by a few times. for those unaffected by the financial crisis- you will be happy.
CJ & MJSpeed - First, thanks for sharing!

CJ - Can you please clarify the two statements above (and bolded language): I think you are talking about the same car (the 2010 997.2 gt3) - right? Thx.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
ArcticGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CJ,

I can't believe that nobody reacted to your mention of a "GTxxx" in another thread. I understand that you won't say anymore than that, but it sounds very exciting!

MJones,

Regarding the "air guidance device," it looks to me like it's a variation of what will be on the Panamera:

Old 12-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ArticGT3
CJ,

I can't believe that nobody reacted to your mention of a "GTxxx" in another thread. I understand that you won't say anymore than that, but it sounds very exciting!

MJones,

Regarding the "air guidance device," it looks to me like it's a variation of what will be on the Panamera:

Useful pic of the Panamera (never thought anyone would need to say that ...) and that wing ... sorry Mr Porsche ... "air guidance device."

I read the "GTxxx" comments and -- aside from being pleasantly surprised to hear of Porsche doing more than changing the headlights and calling it an update -- took it to be as much as known by the person posting or at least as much as they care to divulge for whatever rhyme or reason.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

they own VW now. this will save them from said regulations...VW polo, golf, etc.
True, and VW owns Audi which has some very cool and secret technology about lightweight materials which are used in the construction of the R10’s. Porsche now owns 51% of VW. Which means Porsche now has access to that very secret technology!! This could be interesting.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:26 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess until people read a GD press release they're going to think I'm crazy.
Not everyone!!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:53 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,300 Likes on 615 Posts

arctic- I left the name gtxxx because I hope people are smart enough to read between the lines. if I said I saw some gt3s, well it's not that.

is that the official porsche supplied pic of the panamera wing? I will reiterate that the car sounds amazing and will have some really snazzy tech on it...

cello- the car I saw was the black one here
http://static.blogo.it/autoblog/Pors...Srestyling.jpg

happy noises. save up kids, and join me in line for one!

Last edited by C.J. Ichiban; 12-09-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:35 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Hi CJ!
Thanks for the information. It does not surprise me in the slightest.

Interesting quote from a recent article by Andrew Cotton:
"What will Porsche do? Rumours abound that it will produce a mid-engine 911 which will race the new Audi R8 GT car in the new GT1 class, while continuing to milk the cash cow 997 GT3 RSR for GT2, and return to LMP1 in 2010. It is a big ask of a manufacturer with a clear motive of not spending money if it can help it, and which has had its fingers burned with the RS Spyder. But then, who in the 1990s expected it to be in a position to take such a holding in the VW Group in 2008?"
Old 12-08-2008, 10:49 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

CJ - Thank you again! D@mn nice lookin car in that pic. Glad to 'hear' it sounds good and runs well

Spyderidol - That statement has to be balanced against the following comment in the 11/08 Panorama, European Windows section (after discussing GT2 rule changes which wld impact Porsche due to rear engine and passenger compartment configurations, there is the following blurb):

"Porsche's GT contender will not look much different from the current RSR...but I wld love to be a fly on the wall when the subject next appears on the agenda. There is still a very strong lobby in Weissach to develop the mid-engined Cayman, altho Dr Wiedeking remains strongly opposed to any diversion from the 911 base."

Either way - 'mid engine' keeps coming up, tho.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Yes, I'm not sure it will be a "mid-engined 911" per say, but it certainly looks like a mid-engined "something" is in the fray.

Quick Reply: More 998 pics...