Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

More 998 pics...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:07 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Again, for my humble two cents', I'd be asking for exactly the current 997 Carrera (humble 3.6, circa 350HP) stripped to the bone, no frills, 2800lb or less. Same price as a Carrera and pay extra for CCBs and PDK, but it comes with steel spring suspension, no more electronic intervention than ABS and switchable TC. No Litronics, no leather, no sunroof, manual lift side windows (no regulator) and an abundance of the words "no" and "deleted" in the description (no froufrou options whatsoever, color palette of cheap paints, no trunk trim, etc.) I'd like to see it pre-configured with weld plates for a 6-point and access to the Motorsports shopping menu for lightweight options. As a concession to "livability" I'd include adequate sound proofing in the cabin, but no carpets or other trim. Options like a dealer-installed audio system might make sense.
Now you're talking. I have to believe that with the ever-tightening environmental regulations this sort of thing is inevitable across the board for sports car manufacturers in the next 8-10 years. They're not going to be able to continue upping horsepower at the current rate and stay legal/profitable.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Like the M96/M97, I believe the A91 in varying capacities of 6 cylinders will be the Porsche sports car powerplant for the next 10 years.

I believe Porsche will stick to its current line-up of mid-engined entry level cars and rear-engined 911 models, with weight reduction and moderate horsepower increases being used to stay competitive and comply with tightening global emissions requirements.

I think we will see both a Carrera GT successor and a 2-door Panamera/928 successor.

Not sure what the mule is. I would think anything mid-engined being tested would need intakes somwhere in the middle of the car...
Old 12-05-2008, 04:36 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zizu
Mid engine 911 with flat 8.
Swing!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:45 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

look guys- let me give it to you straight

porsche makes cool cars!

they test them near their facilities!

the public tours them!

no photos are allowed!

new cars are coming!

Last edited by C.J. Ichiban; 12-06-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: clandestine removal of mouth-watering info
Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by am722
Now you're talking. I have to believe that with the ever-tightening environmental regulations this sort of thing is inevitable across the board for sports car manufacturers in the next 8-10 years. They're not going to be able to continue upping horsepower at the current rate and stay legal/profitable.
they own VW now. this will save them from said regulations...VW polo, golf, etc.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

it is very exciting but there are 2 cars in particular that are even more exciting and closer to release.
Speedster by chance?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

we were there- today. not looking at pictures, watching them drive around. we saw the 2010 model GT3 and GT3RS- they are finished with those cars in the external design sense...the round wing and the stubby wing are final spec, my guess is that the stubby wing is an option on the GT3, and the rounder wing is the standard one. that black car with the stuff on it...it's a future development of a different layout.

it is very exciting but there are 2 cars in particular that are even more exciting and closer to release.

Please "straighten" these two points:

"there"
Where is "there?" The ring or a test facility?
"a different layout"
What layout? Drivetrain? Chassis? Engine position?
"very exciting but"
Do you mean the development mule is exciting but the the two GT3 variants are more exciting and closer to market?

One thing that's lost in photos is scale -- the Panamera is huge, but photos don't show quite how it dwarfs everything else (perhaps including the Cayenne.) The cars you saw -- were they all 911 sized? Thanks for the first hand information. Any photos to share?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:54 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we were there- today. not looking at pictures, watching them drive around. we saw the 2010 model GT3 and GT3RS- they are finished with those cars in the external design sense...the round wing and the stubby wing are final spec, my guess is that the stubby wing is an option on the GT3, and the rounder wing is the standard one. that black car with the stuff on it...it's a future development of a different layout.

Who is "we" and why are they special?

I ask because information is very well protected and not available the casual visitor, or even the developing supplier. I am certain that casual visitors to Porsche don't come away with "pearls of wisdom" or "previews' into future products

Understanding who "we" is, will allow for appropriate calibration.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:24 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Please "straighten" these two points:

"there"
Where is "there?" The ring or a test facility?
"a different layout"
What layout? Drivetrain? Chassis? Engine position?
"very exciting but"
Do you mean the development mule is exciting but the the two GT3 variants are more exciting and closer to market?

One thing that's lost in photos is scale -- the Panamera is huge, but photos don't show quite how it dwarfs everything else (perhaps including the Cayenne.) The cars you saw -- were they all 911 sized? Thanks for the first hand information. Any photos to share?
1. weissach, the weissach test track, parking lot, r+D facility, etc.

2. some of the cars appear to have "misplaced" engines and weird wider fender flares. they have very innovative techniques for hiding exactly what type of car it is...

there are some funny rumors that bmw, porsche and benz all interchange their drivetrains into competitors bodywork so that you never really know what you're looking at. obviously for the 2012 or 2013 Models, they don't need to test the aero as much as they need to test suspension and engines. why put a panamera 2 door body on when you could just fab up a CLK body with some camo or a 6 series and REALLY throw off the spy photos?

I hope light bulbs go off in your head as they did mine when I realized that its possible the black '998' pictured might not even be a porsche at all, but maybe a bmw car. Nissan dragged a 996TT or a 997TT or a cayman around all the time when testing its cars- think outside the box.

3. like I've been saying since january, there is a 2010 997.2 gt3. we saw at least 3 of them in full production format- VIN #, no camo, painted white, silver etc. that is the closest car to market- it will be sold next year some time.

4. the panamera is undergoing heavy testing still- it was wet and they had it on the track. the engine/exhaust noise is very stout- very good. the car looks longer than it is because of how far back the windshield is, but it really isn't as big as an S-class- more like the big jaguar.

5. no photos are allowed, it was similar to visiting the white house (this summer). they take your passport before admitting you and don't give it back til you leave.

6. for a few laps, the next gen gt3 was on the track also. and it went by a few times. for those unaffected by the financial crisis- you will be happy.

Originally Posted by Jon70
Speedster by chance?
not a speedster. more of a "top speed"

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
Who is "we" and why are they special?

I ask because information is very well protected and not available the casual visitor, or even the developing supplier. I am certain that casual visitors to Porsche don't come away with "pearls of wisdom" or "previews' into future products

Understanding who "we" is, will allow for appropriate calibration.
first off- they're not mailing out brochures.
second- no need to **** on the messenger
third- people on here know how I'm calibrated- ask mooty or your other black sheep

I'm not a casual visitor but a potential race car purchaser in the future, but literally the stuff is just laying around, driving around the parking lot, up on lifts, being assembled by hand... "we" (me and mjspeed and another non-RL friend) got to ask questions for the RS spyder engine builders as well. apparently those engines can last 30+ hours.

they didn't say- oh hey here is the new engine we are developing- but when the engine block that doesn't yet exist is on a bench, you get a bit excited.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:01 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Certain things I can say...what you see is not at all something that can be logically answered, there simply isn't enough information for one to do so, I'm talking about some "spy" pics.

However somethings are "hidden in plain sight", and if you know what you're looking for and know how to ask the right questions you can most definitely find out what is going on.

The reality is that we were guests of someone that has access to all we would love to know and be a part of, however out of respect and professionalism there are things that we can't openly discuss or talk about, I suggest you read my travel partner's (CJ Ichiban) post and read between the lines.

This was truly an awesome experience. Those GT3's/RS sure look good...
Old 12-06-2008, 12:11 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

So you guys have conformation that there will be a MKII RS?
Rich
Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gt3racerich
So you guys have conformation that there will be a MKII RS?
Rich
I physically touched something you speak of.

I guess until people read a GD press release they're going to think I'm crazy.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:31 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a true dry sump blink once, integrated dry sump blink twice...

j/k thanks for info, sounds like an amazing time.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:34 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks C.J.
I don't think you are crazy.
I have thought all along that there would be one but it is nice to have conformation. I have been #1 with my dealer since they did not get another MKI RS. Looking forward to Euro Del. as long as they hold up there end of the deal.
I've done some pretty cool stuff over there but nothing like what you guys have experianced, it sound awsome.
Thanks again, Rich
Old 12-06-2008, 12:51 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

definitely do european delivery. definitely carry euros for cash, some german restaraunts don't take kredit karten.

any RS is a good RS in my mind- if you can get a MK2, go for it!

because I don't work for them, my information is just observations similar to that posted on autoblog, similar sources- except I saw the actual cars from the photos.

Quick Reply: More 998 pics...