Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:10 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New cure for the RMS leak....

A new engine! A P engineer came by to look at my car last week. He took measurements and pics for 3 hours. Next thing ya know, bam! Order a new engine! The only thing we got out of them was that there was oil, or maybe oil pressure somewhere it shouldn't be...a defect of some kind. I told the local fellows that nothing was wrong with my engine...it is strong as ever. But, they didn't really know much either. So, my baby is getting a new engine. I dropped it off for a service and possibly a new RMS...what a surprise. I also inquired about buying the current engine, but it's going back to Germany for R&D. Nice try anyway.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 11-14-2008, 01:31 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roger what is the background on your New motor did you have it in for RMS. How many times have they fixed it prior to pulling the trigger on a new motor? Any grief about tracking the car ect.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:33 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- that seems crazy
- if the new fix for a RMS is a new engine, i will be keeping my short on Porsche shares for a while longer
- it has to be that they wanted to get ahold of one that is leaking but you would think that germany must have a few
- they could have had mine for the 6 weeks when they tried 3 different seals

- as an aside, my TT seal is keeping the car bone dry (4 track events and a few thousand miles so far)

paul
Old 11-14-2008, 01:40 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
-
- as an aside, my TT seal is keeping the car bone dry (4 track events and a few thousand miles so far)

paul
Hey Paul, same here with all the cars we did with a LWF upgrade.. we used the 996 TT seal and they're bone dry:P
Old 11-14-2008, 01:41 PM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds fishy to me....

Flash
Old 11-14-2008, 01:48 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Roger what is the background on your New motor did you have it in for RMS. How many times have they fixed it prior to pulling the trigger on a new motor? Any grief about tracking the car ect.
New motor is coming straight from the factory. Had the RMS fixed 2x before. Track use has zero affect on the leak. In fact, the car hasn't even been on the track since the last leak. When I'm on track, I rarely bump the rev limiter...just no need to as the torque range is very good. But, there may be a different issue that caused them to put in a new engine. Just not sure. Lastly, no grief whatsoever for tracking the car. Man, I can't imagine not tracking a GT3 or RS. If you have an RS and haven't been on the track, you aren't driving the car. You can't see how well it handles on the street.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:49 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sharkster
Hey Paul, same here with all the cars we did with a LWF upgrade.. we used the 996 TT seal and they're bone dry:P
That's what I figured they would do with my car...or some variant. Had no idea a new engine was coming.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:58 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,366 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
When I'm on track, I rarely bump the rev limiter...
ah come on man... better not admit that on the racing/de forum!
Old 11-14-2008, 08:39 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roger now the question is will the new motor be any better leak wise. Now you got me wondering. I have had my RMS fixed once, last January and it started leaking in 300 miles, I just have blown it off since its not a big leak and so far everyone who has taken it back for a fix has had no or little success in fixing it. if your new motor works out then that would be incentive to bring er back and keep pressure on it. I am surprised they went to replacing the motor with out some major bitching, You must be well liked or have friends in high places.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:47 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you try Zmax!!!?? I see in on Truck U every day at 12:30 on SPEED!
12 oz. in your motor will stop oil leaks and make your motor more efficient
12. oz. in your radiator will stop leaks and give you more power
12 oz. in your diff will stop leaks and give you more traction
12 oz. in your AirCon will stop leaks and make it colder
12 oz. in your Red Bull will stop diarrhea and make you a faster driver.
and use 12 oz of Zmax in the crankcase before winter storage it will give you more
power in your winter BMW
Old 11-14-2008, 09:34 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Very interesting to say the least!

My 2007 997 GT3 was in for its fourth RMS in less than 11 months in August and I said either a new engine (wear and tear as a result of repeated removals and replacements) or buy back the car. Result I got the total of my initial purchase price as I was told the new engine would leak also. My car had 3700 miles on it and had been in the shop over 9 weeks in the 11 months of ownership. Would have been far happier with a new engine and the statement "this one may seap oil but we are working the problem and just drive it and your warranty is good".

Instead I have been driving a Cayman S since then (7400 miles in 2.5 months) and a 2009 Carrera S with PDK is on order. Great but not a GT3, although the new Carrera S with PDK is impressive and mine will be here hopefully by Christmas.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:39 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

PS for "Old Guy" who may in fact be younger than me. My GT3 was white but the Carrera S will be Artic Silver as a tribute to the 1977 911 S (in silver) that I took delivery of Christmas Eve 1977 on the Factory steps in Germany.... was a fun time. Was so excited that we forgot pictures
Old 11-14-2008, 09:57 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats cool F4. Yea I am 50 and going into the hangar for maintenence. Back surgery in 3 weesk. Then I will be a hangar queen for 8 weeks.
You were probably flying the F4 while I was fixing them. I graduated HS in 1977 while you were taking delivery. I was at George AFB with the Wild Weasels in the 561st till 81 when I got out and went to College at Cal State Chico. Then I came to Naval Air warfare center here at China Lake and I am still here.
Now I am a FTE for UAV's.
My Uncle was a AF Captain in 1970 and took delivery of a white 1970 911S. They thought he was John Carpenter the astronaut. He was just Capt. Carpenter the AF pilot. Porsche gave him a big ceremony
and tour of the plant. He told them and the Porsche guy told him to let the workers have their fun. And nothing more was ever said. In 1984 my aunt wrecked it and he got a 1986 928 S. I drove it with 1200 miles on it. I swore I would get a Porsche when I got out and I didnt start till after my kids were born with my 993 TT.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:14 PM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
That's what I figured they would do with my car...or some variant. Had no idea a new engine was coming.
That is pretty cool. Is that the same car you are selling? What a deal!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I find Porsche's lack of quality on this issue disgusting. Anyone paying as much as we do for a high quality car shouldn't have to put up with this. My '02 had the engine replaced. Both my GT3 and RS are leaking. I do not abuse my cars.

Quick Reply: New cure for the RMS leak....