New cure for the RMS leak....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:19 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Personally, I find Porsche's lack of quality on this issue disgusting
I agree with you DerTub and I am staying away from PCNA till they and their gouging dealers get their act together.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:24 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<OldGuy> Here's to ya!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:22 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Old guy, just dropped you a PM Jack
Old 11-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Did you try Zmax!!!?? I see in on Truck U every day at 12:30 on SPEED!

actually a bottle of quality bourbon down the gullet works great, you don't even remember you own a GT3
Old 11-16-2008, 05:10 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if the 996 and 997 GT3 Cup leak as well?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:33 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm no mechanical engineer, but the general concensus is that the turbos are far less prone to leaking because of their tighter, more elaborate seals. Apparently these seals can't be used on the normally asppirated GT cars because internal pressures rise too high.

One would think that this pressure could be relieved by means other than a loose, poorly sealing seal... Can't they use a pressure relief valve or something in conjunction with the firmer sealing turbo seal? The pressure relief valve could eleviate excessive internal pressure without oil leaks and surely wouldn't be difficult to incorporate into the existing crankcase??? Obviously they would need to determine what pressure is too high in order to use an appropriate valve but that should be a no brainer, one would think considering they designed an appropiate seal to leak so frequently...

Last edited by 911rox; 11-17-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:44 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I wonder if the 996 and 997 GT3 Cup leak as well?
As I understand it, the 997 cup does leak and many replace the seal with a 996 cup seal and have no issues. Maybe P should consult with some of the better race shops out there.
Originally Posted by GT3CAR
That is pretty cool. Is that the same car you are selling? What a deal!
Yes, same one. Still having a bit of seller's remorse and I haven't even sold it yet. Buyer will have a new engine though! Can't beat that.
Originally Posted by f4 plt
Very interesting to say the least!

My 2007 997 GT3 was in for its fourth RMS in less than 11 months in August and I said either a new engine (wear and tear as a result of repeated removals and replacements) or buy back the car. Result I got the total of my initial purchase price as I was told the new engine would leak also. My car had 3700 miles on it and had been in the shop over 9 weeks in the 11 months of ownership. Would have been far happier with a new engine and the statement "this one may seap oil but we are working the problem and just drive it and your warranty is good".

Instead I have been driving a Cayman S since then (7400 miles in 2.5 months) and a 2009 Carrera S with PDK is on order. Great but not a GT3, although the new Carrera S with PDK is impressive and mine will be here hopefully by Christmas.
I've got too much money in mine to get initial purchase price back. But, overall, I would still buy the RS in a heartbeat. The rock star looks and driving quality well outweighs the rms issues.
I like the cayman to drive as well...drove one on the Hockenheim in Germany last year.

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Roger now the question is will the new motor be any better leak wise. Now you got me wondering. I have had my RMS fixed once, last January and it started leaking in 300 miles, I just have blown it off since its not a big leak and so far everyone who has taken it back for a fix has had no or little success in fixing it. if your new motor works out then that would be incentive to bring er back and keep pressure on it. I am surprised they went to replacing the motor with out some major bitching, You must be well liked or have friends in high places.
Thanks Frank. I have been a good customer with it...showing up to events with it, car shows they sponsor etc. I think either something else is going on with it, or they have some many problems concerning the rms at this point they need to do some R&D. Also, being in Savannah/Hilton Head area, it is probably the cheapest on shipping back and forth to Germany.
Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
ah come on man... better not admit that on the racing/de forum!
Ha! Heck you really don't need to at Roebling...I never run out of gear. However, in the racecar, I do run out of 2nd at CMP and bump it at one place on that track. I've found that as long as I keep the torque range up in the "goody" range, it doesn't affect my times that much to keep the rpm's a little below the "please shift me" mark. Plus, my car and tranny is a lot happier.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 11-20-2008, 01:05 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Update. They are having to wait until an engine is built...2nd week of December. This sux.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:40 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Update. They are having to wait until an engine is built...2nd week of December. This sux.
- that is interesting
- about 6 months ago, someone posted that Porsche had only 1 gt3 motor in inventory
- either someone beat you to it, they want to keep an extra around, or they are putting the old engine back in production for future warranty repairs

- my 996tt seal continues to hold (knock wood)
Old 11-21-2008, 11:37 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sharky, any more info on the 996tt seal, any crankcase pressure problems?
Keep up the good R&D, porsche otta hire you, tt seals are a lot less money than new engines.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:22 AM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911rox
I'm no mechanical engineer, but the general concensus is that the turbos are far less prone to leaking because of their tighter, more elaborate seals. Apparently these seals can't be used on the normally asppirated GT cars because internal pressures rise too high.

One would think that this pressure could be relieved by means other than a loose, poorly sealing seal... Can't they use a pressure relief valve or something in conjunction with the firmer sealing turbo seal? The pressure relief valve could eleviate excessive internal pressure without oil leaks and surely wouldn't be difficult to incorporate into the existing crankcase??? Obviously they would need to determine what pressure is too high in order to use an appropriate valve but that should be a no brainer, one would think considering they designed an appropiate seal to leak so frequently...
Anyone know what the long-term implication(s) would be running with an excessive high crank case pressure? Surely the engineers must have tried and tested the Turbo seal, and they must have a very good reason for not using it...?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:48 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolbjorn S
Surely the engineers must have tried and tested the Turbo seal, and they must have a very good reason for not using it...?
They didn't even effectively test the GT3 seal. Why would you think they tested the seal from another engine?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sws1
They didn't even effectively test the GT3 seal. Why would you think they tested the seal from another engine?
I would have anticipated they try every type of seal in stock, seeing all their engines leak..... (as if they don't know it from the 996/986). The fact they do no not issue a TSB using a spring-loaded seal which most other engines use - and do not leak, must warrant a very good reason.

Ever since Porsche hired in Japanese consultants to streamline production in the early 90s, and with the start of the 993 subsequently reduced numbers of supppliers from 900 to 350, they aim to use a bare minimum of different parts. If they could get a way with a single, spring-loaded seal, great! The fact they don't, must have a rational, technical reason behind it.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:29 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yeehaaa...no more leaky! Purrs like a kitten.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:04 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roger you get the "Lucky Dog" pass. Lets hope they take your motor back figure it out and come out with some help for the rest of us poor bast)*^'s . Give us a shout at about 2500 miles just to be sure.

Quick Reply: New cure for the RMS leak....