Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

anyone know about (Rayco Eurospec Motorcars in PA - rv)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:59 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone know about (Rayco Eurospec Motorcars in PA - rv)

Rayco Eurospec Motorcars in PA?

Good..Bad...Ugly?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

Almost did a deal with them once about 7 years ago...they backed out last minute and didn't leave me thinking much of them.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

thx
Old 11-15-2008, 01:10 AM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

What are you up to now??
Old 11-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Jim Bacus
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-15-2008, 08:35 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cobrien
What are you up to now??
what should I get?

actually I was thinking of a pristine 94-95 E320 Cab

Just saw a real '57 Speedster today, and a '74 246 Dino
Old 11-15-2008, 10:42 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
what should I get?
997 GT3 or GT3 RS

or

a newer Aston of some sort
Old 11-16-2008, 07:10 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

57 speedster...beautiful timeless car and a decent car to drive. I had a 95 E320 cab and it is still a good looking car. The dino's are way overpriced right now.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:45 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by richk
57 speedster...beautiful timeless car and a decent car to drive. I had a 95 E320 cab and it is still a good looking car. The dino's are way overpriced right now.
I expect the 94-95's to have about hit bottom for a good specimen.

Speedster is amazing to look at, but I'm not sure how it would drive. Agree the Dino seems expensive. Can get the 328 GTS for a fraction and it's a better car
Old 11-20-2008, 10:54 PM
nsantolick
Pro

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Rittenhouse Neighborhood
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WARNING - AVOID RAYCO EUROSPEC in KINGSTON, PENNSYLVANIA AT ALL COSTS - HORRIBLE PLACE!

I have to warn you; Rayco Eurospec in Kingston, Pennsylvania should be avoided at all costs. I went through a NIGHTMARE with these jerks this summer... They have absolutely no integrity and are essentially thieves... Keep asking around - I'm sure you'll find stories not too different from mine...

Before I explain, let me preface with the fact that around 5 years ago I had called them about having them replace the alternator in my 911 SC Targa. Told them I'd provide the parts. Just needed labor. They quoted "$500.00" I knew it was a fairly simple job. I guess they just throw out numbers, hoping to find suckers who don't check around...

Since I've been checking into them, after the fact, unfortunately, I have found a hell of a lot of people who also have had REALLY BAD EXPERIENCES with them.

Rayco's big business is selling used "exotics" mostly. I've been in their shop in the past and have seen a lot of really ratty cars that they touch up and pan off as tip-top. Certainly, eBay offers far better deals on similar cars. I wouldn't trust them on a purchase without a really, really, really, really close PPI...

AND NOW FOR THE FUN PART:

I bought a 1989 928S4 about half a year ago. It was a nice, exceptionally clean car. It had been driven often and regularly for years. Since I couldn't verify the age of the timing belt, I decided to do that service, among other things myself. I kind of collect "strange cars" and am familiar with the sort of service it takes to keep Alfa Romeo's, Citroens, Maseratis, Mercedes Benzes & the like on the road.

I ordered the parts that were needed, mostly all from Roger of 928srus and couldn't be happier with everything from him. Great prices - tons of knowledge. No complaints whatseover... I planned on doing the work myself, but had too much going on. My car sat for a few weeks at home. Finally, I checked into NEPA mechanics.

Porsche factory dealers didn't really want to do the work. The local one admitted that their mechanics have not done a timing belt job on a 928, and recommended a shop OTHER THAN RAYCO... Unfortunately, their recommendation didn't give me too much confidence, so I ended up checking out Rayco Eurospec...

It had been years since I called Rayco Eurospec's shop. I heard that they "were better" so I decided to give them a chance. I provided most all parts, complete instructions & most everything they would need. I was upgrading to a porkentensioner. Additionally, I wanted the brakes serviced, an "x-pipe" installed and ultimately some oil leaks repaired which they found once they disassembled part of my motor...

Now mind you, I only decided to use them as I wasn't aware of anywhere else around that claimed to be experienced with 928's. They promised that the car would be done in a week, at most. They had a lot of expensive cars on the lot, and the shop seemed decent. What a mistake... A "nice looking" shop doesn't do one much good if it is understaffed with mechanics, particularly ones whose ego's make it so they are above advice or instructions...

I took the car up a day before the appointment to drop off the parts and instructions. I tried to make everything as simple as possible for them. WHAT A MISTAKE!!!

A week went by and I was shocked to find that they didn't even touch my car. Two weeks - the same. By week three, with every excuse in the world for their bull****, Mark, the shop manager told me "that we've started working on it..." A few days later, I went down to check out its progress and found the car sitting exactly where I parked it. The general manager conceded that they hadn't started work yet... DAM LIAR!!!

A week or so later, my car was put on one of their 5 lifts. AND THERE IT REMAINED FOR OVER A MONTH, MOSTLY UNTOUCHED...

Of course, they disassembled part of the motor, totally committing me to them. Anyway, another month or so went by, with more bull**** excuses on a weekly basis. Finally, they assured me that it'd be done in another week.

A week later I went by and was excited - my car was off the lift - must be done, I thought...

NOPE... All they did that week was move my car outside, WITH ABSOLUTELY NO ATTEMPT TO WORK ON IT... Worse yet, they loaded it up with its parts and left the car outside, WITH ITS WINDOW DOWN. And there it remained, OUTSIDE, WINDOW DOWN for about another week or so.

Sorry, but that's no way to treat a customers car. I wonder what would have happened if anyone reached in and took something??? Would have been MY fault, I'm sure...

Another good one - I provided them with service covers. They didn't use them. My car's expensive aluminum fender has a 2" long dent in it. There were paint chips. It's a good thing I didn't see these at the time. They were discovered the next day.

Anyway, towards the end of the ordeal, despite my firm instructions on how I SHALL PROVIDE ALL PARTS, they told me it needed "some nickle and dime stuff..." I asked for specifics and they wouldn't tell me. I agreed, "as long as it's cheap stuff..." After so long in the shop, I just wanted it out of there. It sucks to buy a nice car for the summer and have it stuck in a shop because you were stupid enough to trust them, without a good referral...

Anyway, and so it went. Bull**** excuses and almost no work over 2 1/2 months. I heard about how one of their mechanics was sick. Then another was "on vacation." Then an Audi TT that was in for a timing belt had it's engine blow on startup, after their "work" so they were behind. And so on, and so on, and so on...

Mark, the service manager had promised several times "to call me" and almost never would. I'm sure he had the best intentions. On the other hand, for $80 an hour, I'd expect better... I WAS PROMISED THAT IT WOULD BE DONE IN A WEEK. 2 1/2 months??? Idiots!!!

Finally, I had had enough. I stopped being "Mr. That's okay, I understand" and reminded them how it's been 2 1/2 months already. Mark, the shop manager blamed me. You know, it's because of me providing the parts & all - that slowed them down a lot... I reminded him that they didn't even touch it for over 3 weeks and to that, he couldn't say much...

Eventually, I told the shop manager that I've had it, that I'm ready to just ditch the car after this bull****. I warned him that I was going to pull it out next week, whether it was done or not. He again agreed that the car would be started, "first thing Monday" and that I should have it that week... Yea, right...

Predictably, the car sat outside until Thursday of that week, window down and all. I stopped in that day to find it on a lift, with the exhaust pulled off (for installation of an x-pipe that seemingly was beyond their capability.) Mark lied, again, and told me how "they've done a lot on the top of the motor..." BULL****!!! Nothing was done...

By that time, I finally found another shop. I told the manager that I don't want problems and will pay for labor done. I told him that I'm taking the car, and a flat bed truck was coming to pick it up Friday.

In the end, I was charged over $1100.00, for all of that wonderful inept "work" that they did. >$600 was for those "nickle and dime parts" that they wouldn't tell me about. 5 hours at $80 per for removing my timing belt, a section of the exhaust and the top of the motor...

Oh yea, forgot - they had me sign something "extra", which I DID NOT GET A COPY OF. Probably was something to relieve them of the chance of being sued. I got the feeling that they've had A TON of unhappy customers, and know what to do to cover their incompetent asses...

Anyway, if you're considering buying a car from these bastards, proceed with extreme caution. If you're considering having work done there, email me and I'll tell you about much more competent places that don't have the well-deserved horrible reputation that these ****** enjoy...

Hope I'm not too late. I found this post just now when searching the site for similar stories. Might be worth mentioning that it seems that Rayco is referred to as "Rape You" by a lot of locals who've also had bad experiences with them... Wonder why???
Old 11-21-2008, 04:36 AM
daytonaviolet
Racer

wow.. i would of pulled out the first week. you have alot of patience.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:31 PM
MAB Badgerbimmer
Advanced

would have pulled the car after a week. why didn't you put the window up.....?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:43 AM
rayco
8th Gear

This is not the whole story for the car... parts had to be ordered BY OWNER which took forever to arrive.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:12 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn... that is some 2 sided pain...
Old 11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Perhaps an admin...can move this discussion out of the GT3 forum...I do not see how we need this topic here

Quick Reply: anyone know about (Rayco Eurospec Motorcars in PA - rv)