hope not a repost

no real surprises here i guess

money no object, i'd have the 599...

MotorTrend story HERE
Old 10-28-2008, 11:39 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty scary -> 2 of the car blew a tire at the Vmax run...

GT2 trapped at 127mph at 1/4 miles is very impressive. GT-R w/ its launch control rocketed to 60mph in 3.2 second is very impressive too.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ironically, all these cars were at Monticello this past Friday....mucho HPs!

Last edited by Arrwin; 06-14-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hesperus
hope not a repost

no real surprises here i guess

money no object, i'd have the 599...

MotorTrend story HERE

money no object of course everyone will get a 599.

despite their performance, Z01 and GT-R are not even in the same class, not even close...
Old 10-28-2008, 03:07 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Money no object I wouldn't get a 599, out of all the GT2 and not because I own one or am a Porsche lover, none are as pure bred to my driving needs! The Z06's front end was just way too big and blah feeling, I can imagine the ZR1 with a little softer suspension rebound wise/heavier weight would be worse!
Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh Boy

One more Mega-Maxi Shoot Out. Complete with contradictory and irrelevant specs and lots of nice pics.

Wow

We used to have a guy here that went by Nordschrifte I believe. He had it right. he was close to, or in the car mag biz or something like that. He said he just read the headers and looked at the pretty pictures. I believe he also noted that articles like this in car mags were just filler around the ads.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:41 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

The Drivers republic got the GT-R to do 4.2 and the Carrera PDK beat it in a drag race
Video is on the website
3.2 is impossible in a 4000 lb car with 485 hp
Old 10-28-2008, 09:23 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is the video of the Drivers Repulic that shows you the GT-R GETTING its BUTT handed to it by PORSCHE Regular Carrera S!!!!!!
http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_t...&area=features

So I SAY unto YOU my Porsche BROTHERS ITS IMPOSSIBLE to have a GT-R do a 3.2 0-60!!

OKOK We did it once- We had a 80% decline and we put 2,000 lbs in the trunk and put the car in to NUETRAL and we were able to get a 3.24 before the GT-R impacted the concrete and was totaled. Well Nothing got wrecked but the Transmission.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry OG, but i don't see the big deal about the 0-60 time.

i can understand why its hard to believe that a heavy, relatively underpowered car like the GTR can get such an amazing 0-60 time.

but WHY would a magazine have any incentive to make this sh*t up?

OKAY, we've all heard the conspiracy theories, and how magazines survive on manufacturer's advertising dollars. BUT COME ON-- in this particular test, the GTR came dead LAST!

it had the slowest lap time

it had the lowest top speed

it had the worst acceleration numbers

OBJECTIVELY speaking, it got totally raped by the other three cars.

if MT was trying to suck up to Nissan, they couldn't have done a worse job. So why would they bother making up that 3.2 second 0-60 time?

as for HOW the GTR did it... who knows? its got sticky rubber... that trick tranny (that blows up anyway)... and an AWD system that shames that of our beloved 911TT...

but c'mon, who really cares about 0-60 times anyway? that metric is almost totally irrelevant for today's supercars...
Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hesperus, I was kinda trying to be a bit funny. I er...... need to work on that.

Anyway Back to the point I dont trust anything that MT RT or Car and Driver say.
They will have a shoot out like this one then screw it up with categories like
Gotta have it factor (and make it like 5 points when the winning margin was 2.1)
Driver comfort (another worthless category)
Trunk space (WHO CARES in this segment of vechicles AND the one that blows any credibility away from these guys)..................
BACK SEAT SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously they did this once in a 2 seat sports car test!!!!!!!!!!
AND they awarded POINTS for it. 5 POINTS and the winning margin was THREE!!!!
SO none of these magazines can claim any kind of test credibility with anyone whom takes cars
more seriously than buying furniture with your wife.
So I think the Publisher of these mags dont give a RATS *** about us and they just want to
SUCK down the AD DOLLARS and its SO obvious

Seriously we need to put together a list of magazines that actually deliver some sort of
information that we as serious car aficionados can use for making the decisions that we
have to make.

AND Car and Driver, Motor Trend and Road and Track ARENT ON THE LIST!!!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Hesperus, I was kinda trying to be a bit funny. I er...... need to work on that.
oh... hehehhe! ok, not a prob man!

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Seriously we need to put together a list of magazines that actually deliver some sort of
information that we as serious car aficionados can use for making the decisions that we
have to make.

AND Car and Driver, Motor Trend and Road and Track ARENT ON THE LIST!!!!!
ok, well i think we can definitely agree on that bit!

i've noticed all the BS as well about "gotta have it", and "value" and "trunk space" etc... And totally agree that for enthusiasts such as ourselves, all we really care about is pure performance.

HAVING SAID THAT... i presume these magazines all now use GPS based timing equipment, so at least for things like acceleration times and other easily measurable performance numbers, those are at least additional data points to consider (keeping in mind there's going to be some variance across cars).
Old 10-28-2008, 10:14 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL, I do believe the GT-R can do 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds! (Some magazine even tested customer car, that was bought from dealership, and got similar #)

So we know the launch control works great.. But the real question is, for how many times....

I can't wait to see the V-Spec, it should be interesting...
Old 10-28-2008, 10:39 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hesperus
I just get pi$$ed at them for even assuming we would buy that crap Back Seat Space! Sheesh!
I would give them SOME cred if they wouldnt do stuff like that.

Let me start the list
1. Excellence (Problem is Excellence doesnt compare other makes)

CJfan did you watch the video? I would have a HARD time believing 3.2
Old 10-28-2008, 11:11 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

vspec will be rwd and have some weight loss, but still weigh around 3500lbs. if you guys haven't figured out, te gtr isn't making 480hp, it's making more like 510hp. with the amount of different dyno tests having been done. 3.2s 0-60 isn't that difficult to believe, my 3750lb stealth with only 320hp does it in 5.0, with the right setup and 480hp it's does 3.4 no issues, and it's 17yrs old(my god!) though yes i'm a gamer generation person, i'd still rather a nissang skyline gtr-34 over the 35, it' to big and bulky.

of all the cars, gt2, i like it's design, and reason for being, zr1 2nd, 599, then gtr. if they make the vspec right, it should only weigh 3200lbs. but i'm not designing the car so o well. i just can't wait for a team to enter the gtr in alms.

o and where is this? Monticello, a racetrack, or club or something. that new one in upstate NY?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:35 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I dont believe it because my 09 AMG C63 is chipped for 550HP and when it was stock
did it in 3.8. It wont do it in 3.2 with 550 and it weighs less than the GT-R

Quick Reply: GT2 vs ZR1 vs 599 vs GTR