Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 vs ZR1 vs 599 vs GTR

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:27 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

... and I forgot to say. All their effort on getting those cars together, testing them, payroll, food, ads, etc. All this for just $1 per magazine or less.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:27 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Yes and no. I've talked/thought about this a lot and come to the conclusion that the press car should be in the same configuration the car is sold in, and tested that way. It's the only fair way to do it.
well said, and i agree completely!

if Porsche sells the Turbo with "safe" alignment, that's their choice. They saw it fit to sell the GT3/2 with MPSC's too...
Old 10-30-2008, 11:11 AM
355Spider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That ZR1 is a monster.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:35 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by hesperus
well said, and i agree completely!

if Porsche sells the Turbo with "safe" alignment, that's their choice. They saw it fit to sell the GT3/2 with MPSC's too...
I wholeheartedly agree as well. Most owners will never touch a car's alignment or tires so it's only fair to compare them as they come from the factory.

That being said car mag comparos that pick a 'winner' are pointless. There's so much more to these cars than the numbers. I prefer mags like Car and Top Gear that try to put you in the driver's seat through great expressive writing and beautiful photography.

If you need a car magazine comparo to make you feel good about your GT2 (or whatever) purchase then you've got serious issues.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:12 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
That being said car mag comparos that pick a 'winner' are pointless. There's so much more to these cars than the numbers. I prefer mags like Car and Top Gear that try to put you in the driver's seat through great expressive writing and beautiful photography.

If you need a car magazine comparo to make you feel good about your GT2 (or whatever) purchase then you've got serious issues.
Better pass the agreement bucket.

Only thing worse than a comparo that picks a "winner" based on numbers (or back seat space...) is a comparo that calls a tie. I like to see a magazine/writer with the stones to put it on the line and make a call based on their real-world impressions, the stuff most people can't do for themselves on a dealer test drive. Of course they won't always get it "right," but that kind of thinking and analysis helps me figure out which car I'd like to have, even if it isn't their "winner." As for numbers, we can all read spec sheets. Do I really care if the GT2 can get from 0-60 a couple tenths faster (or, in an unlikely turn of events, slower) than Porsche says it can -- especially if the car has to be abused to do it? Will I ever use the car that way? Would two-tenths make me sell my "old" 997S to spend $20,000-40,000+ to buy a new one? Would 0.5 second be enough? I doubt it. But better damping and handling and PSM and a brighter, keener 3.8 just might make the upgrade worthwhile.

To me, the winner should be the car that thrills best when driving it. If it's not fun to use, who cares if it's faster -- unless it's a race car, of course. This is why a Cayman 2.7 rates more highly for me on the road than a C6 Vette, as does a Mini Cooper S JCW, GTI Mk. V, Mitsu Evo, and the list goes on. I want to know which car, after being driven back to back against the others over great roads (and tracks if possible), elicits the greatest emotional response based on its dynamics. Having more testers (or a very good one) is a key element, of course.

Don't get me wrong, there is a place for numbers and verifying mfr claims. For that alone, I am thankful for CandD's existence. I just don't see cars in such a two-dimensional light. So count me in the EVO, Car, Top Gear camp, too. Oh for the budget of a big book...

As to the post at hand: Haven't driven the ZR1, but based on my time in Z06s and the GT-R and the GT2 and a brief ride in a 599, there are only two horses in this race, and they both have horses on their hoods. GT-R is VERY impressive for the money, but electronic overkill, no matter how good it is, isn't really for me. Z06 is insanely fast and has a great motor, but it already had trouble putting the power down on the road (though I suspect it would be a great track car for the money....), so GM's program thrust with the ZR1 is to, wait for it, add more power? How about some Motons and R-compounds. How about more steering feel? How about a non-Cobalt interior? Oh wait, none of those would sell to all those numbers-oriented buyers/readers out there....

pete
Old 10-30-2008, 06:23 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
I wholeheartedly agree as well. Most owners will never touch a car's alignment or tires so it's only fair to compare them as they come from the factory.

Agreed. British magazines tend to be better at this (Real driver's insight) while not worrying about being extremely critical of a car flaws. My favorite one is EVO and now (only online) Drivers Republic (2 of the founders come from EVO - actually the best test drivers at EVO).

Quick Reply: GT2 vs ZR1 vs 599 vs GTR