Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Ok this one's for you Ralph...

She's no longer called Kermit... Give it a name:
Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if it will ever become a frog, however it now appears to have taken a step in the right direction!! i'm now looking forward to throwing it around a little on the "test loop" before I give it a new name. Hehe!!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hehe yeah we need to do that...Linda's Gen 1 vs our Gen 2. They'd have similair bolt ons (wheels, ECU etc...). I know you won't be as excited by it because it's a PDK thing but I do think you'll at least like the engine/balance of the car vs Gen 1. You know me and James.. if we drive both green cars we're fighting for the RS key first!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster

That's your best video yet by far!

ps. I think I fixed your html in your post ... let me know if you need a hand with that interwebs keeboardin, mmk surf dog? bai nau!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:17 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That's your best video yet by far!

ps. I think I fixed your html in your post ... let me know if you need a hand with that interwebs keeboardin, mmk surf dog? bai nau!
Thanks CGT (just for short!), we had a bit of time on our hands over the holidays and played around some with the wife's Avid station. Way overkill for this but I'm starting to realize just why it takes so long for movies to ever get made (my wife's included!). Luckily we didn't show her until after it was done because she critiqued just about everything we did. However watching Dan/James build camera mounts from scrap metal was good for a laugh.

PS My interweb skills are going south! In my day we were using UBB and not VBulletin... and what's with this Youtube stuff
Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey fellas, here's a suspension-a-polooza update for project ZTadpol. We've gotten quite a few new toys in this week so I thought I'd give you a little sample of some of the suspension changes in store. In many ways thanks to the 6speed community and friends we've made we've actually been working behind the scenes with the team at RSS. Their manufacturing expertise/ capabilities and their ability to work in-house is so paramount. In fact, they've long been cranking out some of our parts and have been making parts for just about everyone for donkeys years. Their full line has been available for 996/997 cars for a while and our 09 997 is no different and hence we've been hammering away at suspension components for the more ardent track folks.

This includes an adjustable toe steer kit (also replaces the inner bushing with a steel monoball) as shown here:

And compared to the stocker

Adjustable rear links:

And compared to stock:

Also on tap are the adjustable thrust arm bushings (which do away with the neoprene):

And finally the monoball lower control arm kit.

Our rear end being worked on by James:

Dan will be releasing all of the info etc... over the next few days but for now that's a taste or you can head over to the suspension section on the site and dig around
Old 03-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that looks like a worthy suspension set up!! Anything in the works for the GT cars?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:49 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Now that looks like a worthy suspension set up!! Anything in the works for the GT cars?
But of course! Take your pick

Dan's going to release everything but for now head over here:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.p...ype=Suspension
Old 03-21-2009, 07:01 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The light's a little better today and with the rotors off (more on that in a second...) you can get a better idea of the level of adjustability and just how we're rid of most of the "cushy" stuff

Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 PM
CrazyMD
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been reading these forums for quite some time in anticipation of the time that I would purchase a new 911 Turbo. I found the car I was looking for and the vehicle turned out to be very sentimental to me. If you read the following article you will understand why:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...-life/1811295/

After taking delivery of the car, I found the PDK paddleshift system to be reverse of whats normal for me and difficult to drive. So I started looking on the internet for options.

I came upon the Techart PDK paddle's. After calling Techart and talking with someone named Florian, he sold me on the $900 upgrade kit.

I received my kit and on sunday began the installation. Midway during the install (After my steering wheel is off the car and taken apart) I noticed that the plastic paddles have internal cracks in them. I should have stopped at this point seeing the poor quality of the kit. I put a little superglue on the inside of the paddle's and continued with the install.

For $900, the kit consists of 4 pieces of plastic...maybe valued at $5, manufactured and molded in china. 2 pieces are the paddles and 2 plastic pieces cover the front of the steering wheel where the PDK push button used to be. After everything was complete, I had the steering wheel back on the car, I completed the last step which was snapping the 2 PDK button covers in place. Not to my surprise, the fit and quality of the buttons was very poor. They do not fit into place correctly, it seems that the molding is a bit off. Infact when I pull the left paddle, the plastic cover moves quite a bit. Definitely not right.

So I immediately email Techart indicating that the installation went well, however one of the plastic covers molding doesnt seem to fit right and I'd like to swap that out for another one that would possibly fit better. The response I get from this moron is to disassemble the entire kit, return it to them and they will give me another kit. I tell him that it took 3 hours to install the kit. Why would I take everything off when all you need to do is exchange out a $1 plastic cover piece for me which is the last step in the instructions. Again I received the same idiotic response including that I should have had them professionally installed. I responded that had I paid a shop to do the install and you tell me to take everything apart to swap out a small piece they would be responsible for all my costs incurred. I could tell that dealing with this company is not worth anymore of my time.

So the bottom line, if you are looking at upgrading your PDK paddles I would recommend AVOIDING using Techart. Their quality control is horrible, their parts do not fit right, and their customer service is worse than the crappy chinese manufacturing used to make their parts.

I called American express today, opened a dispute on the charge. I'll be posting some pictures and a youtube video of the poor quality of their product. I'll be taking the entire kit off my car and putting it back to stock or just buying the Factory Porsche S steering wheel that has the paddles built in.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi crazymd I loved that story - the one about you by chance saving that kid's life. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!!! Way to go...

On that other stuff... Hmm I've been really happy and lucky with their parts over the years and if something hasn't been up to snuff they always fix it. Did you maybe try emailing techart in Germany from the web site? See if that helps maybe?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

CrazyMD, all you really needed to do to swap out the PDK Push/Pull buttons to Paddle Shift Right Paddle upshift Left Paddle downshift...... is to just order the Porsche Paddle Shift Steering Wheel from Suncoast or Sunset Porsche for about the same price you paid for those Tech Art pieces.

I did this on my 09 PDK car and it is a 1hr job at the dealer or independent Porsche shop and then it functions perfectly and looks stock since this was later an option from late 2009 till.....
Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMD
I've been reading these forums for quite some time in anticipation of the time that I would purchase a new 911 Turbo. I found the car I was looking for and the vehicle turned out to be very sentimental to me. If you read the following article you will understand why:

After taking delivery of the car, I found the PDK paddleshift system to be reverse of whats normal for me and difficult to drive. So I started looking on the internet for options.

I came upon the Techart PDK paddle's. After calling Techart and talking with someone named Florian, he sold me on the $900 upgrade kit.

I received my kit and on sunday began the installation. Midway during the install (After my steering wheel is off the car and taken apart) I noticed that the plastic paddles have internal cracks in them. I should have stopped at this point seeing the poor quality of the kit. I put a little superglue on the inside of the paddle's and continued with the install.

For $900, the kit consists of 4 pieces of plastic...maybe valued at $5, manufactured and molded in china. 2 pieces are the paddles and 2 plastic pieces cover the front of the steering wheel where the PDK push button used to be. After everything was complete, I had the steering wheel back on the car, I completed the last step which was snapping the 2 PDK button covers in place. Not to my surprise, the fit and quality of the buttons was very poor. They do not fit into place correctly, it seems that the molding is a bit off. Infact when I pull the left paddle, the plastic cover moves quite a bit. Definitely not right.

So I immediately email Techart indicating that the installation went well, however one of the plastic covers molding doesnt seem to fit right and I'd like to swap that out for another one that would possibly fit better. The response I get from this moron is to disassemble the entire kit, return it to them and they will give me another kit. I tell him that it took 3 hours to install the kit. Why would I take everything off when all you need to do is exchange out a $1 plastic cover piece for me which is the last step in the instructions. Again I received the same idiotic response including that I should have had them professionally installed. I responded that had I paid a shop to do the install and you tell me to take everything apart to swap out a small piece they would be responsible for all my costs incurred. I could tell that dealing with this company is not worth anymore of my time.

So the bottom line, if you are looking at upgrading your PDK paddles I would recommend AVOIDING using Techart. Their quality control is horrible, their parts do not fit right, and their customer service is worse than the crappy chinese manufacturing used to make their parts.

I called American express today, opened a dispute on the charge. I'll be posting some pictures and a youtube video of the poor quality of their product. I'll be taking the entire kit off my car and putting it back to stock or just buying the Factory Porsche S steering wheel that has the paddles built in.
Originally Posted by sharkster
Hi crazymd I loved that story - the one about you by chance saving that kid's life. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!!! Way to go...

On that other stuff... Hmm I've been really happy and lucky with their parts over the years and if something hasn't been up to snuff they always fix it. Did you maybe try emailing techart in Germany from the web site? See if that helps maybe?
The USA Today link is now 404.

As for TechART, I don't like their designs all that much, but as the Sharkmeister notes, their quality and customer service aren't usually such a weakness.

I think there's another after-market add-a-paddle that's billet. I'm not sure if the factor items are billet or just silver paint on plastic.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CrazyMD

I saw on the other forums that you posted saying techart did contact you and fixed the issue for you? If that's true I'm glad to see/read that. I figured that they would something about it.

Quick Reply: Zkermit MKII... this time PDK