Old 09-21-2008, 02:35 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
My guess is they will be replaced with some nice new HRE's in the not to distant future, along with some other improvements!
Who me I would never do such a thing
Old 09-21-2008, 02:43 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
Looks nice, Alex!

Please let us know your impressions on the PDK!! This is the most intriguing feature of this 998, as far as I am concerned. I hope Porsche will make an effort to integrate it into the upcoming 998 GT3! Sad to see, though, that they still have not found a way to get rid of the bumperettes!

Enjoy!
Thanks CorsicanBB. I haven't had the seat time that Pete@Excellence has had but I'll give you my initial impressions for sure.

I'm pretty stoked about the car thus far. I also like a lot of the updates made. I think I was in the same camp as most. Doubting the PDK along with the rest of the new updates. I don't look at this car as a comparable to the RS as it's still chalk vs cheese. The RS' motor is still in my mind the most fun you can have in a 911. The new DI certainly seems like it has good power and perhaps close to that of a 996GT3. The response is fantastic with the DI and it's almost like the good old days of a "cable" throttle body. The pedal feels more connected and less electronic if you will. I think the 997MKII with PDK is a much "easier" car to drive daily and live with in traffic. The PDK and software/shift patterns are _especially_ impressive in one area that I still think matters- in traffic and on hills. It feels so smooth and so well done that you think you're in an automatic. Friday rush hour traffic was my first drive in it and I can say that with PDK there's now no need for the Tiptronic. It's done. Over with and time to move on. What you also get with PDK is a more involving car, more sophisticated and generally faster set up than you used to with a Tip. Anyone can jump in and drive it anytime and under any circumstance. Traffic, freeway, curvy roads et. al. This is Porsche's first attempt and they scored. Combine it with a 7-speed exceptionally geared tranny you get a very quick car in terms of straight line speed. It goes like stink as the magazines have said.

Out of the box experience thus far has gone like this. Styling, I like it. The new color. I really like it. The stock wheels? A bit nicer. Led lights- cool. Transmission, practical and still fun but not RS 6speed. Suspension, the best yet for a "non" GT 911. I love the different settings with the sport suspension. They really do work well and change the ride charachteristics. In 'normal' soft mode I can't see the wife-o-meter even registering on the richter-scale. Creature comforts are the best yet. The NAV is finally on par with a modern Toyota and functional. BlueTooth, ipod yadda yadda. Stereo is at least as good as something found in a honda and not a 1979 Blaupunkt 930. It's a 911 that's more comfortable, easy to drive and in my mind more appealing car to the masses.

The bad? The buttons. I don't know what Hilda and Herman were thinking but when I want to change gears I really, really don't want to feel like I'm pushing a Vending machine's coin return trying to get my 25 cents back All I can think is that they are trying to appeal to the former tiptronic owners by saying "Hey look the wheel is very similar to what came before". Paddles people. Paddles.

So am I confident that the next gen GT3 with PDK will be a hit? I'm a lot more confident than I was a few days ago. I personally would still pick a 6speed in a car like a GT3 or RS present/future because to me nothing feels as connected, visceral and more perfect for that high-revving hard-edged car. But will the new PDK equipped car be faster? Absolutely it will.

PS The bumperettes are just for us guys in the US I thought? You guys get the 5mph warts too?
Old 09-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster

Friday in a PDK 911s and Saturday all day driving ze Cayman S RS370. Doesn't get any better...
You may have a new opinion about that on the evening of the 29th my furry little friend!!
Old 09-21-2008, 03:14 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
You may have a new opinion about that on the evening of the 29th my furry little friend!!
Oh don't you worry, I would never ever cheat on Kermit GT3/GT3RS=king

Dan's begining to cost me more than I had planned. He was going on and on about the new technology and the PDK at least 6 times per day for the past 3 months.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

that steering wheel is hidieous!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:47 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks CorsicanBB. I haven't had the seat time that Pete@Excellence has had but I'll give you my initial impressions for sure.
PS The bumperettes are just for us guys in the US I thought? You guys get the 5mph warts too?
Thanks Alex! I will be heading down to Porsche here soon to test drive one. And you are right, nothing does it for me either but the 6speed! But a PDK DI GT3 or RS should be pretty ferocious... Let's see what Porsche comes up with.

No warts on the bumper outside the US. That's a privilege for you guys. I really do not understand why Porsche does not do something about it. You don't see those ugly things on the back of an AMG or M3 or Ferrari.... Is it due to the rear engine setup of the 911? Extra protection required by US law?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 PM
928cs
Race Car

Received 545 Likes on 345 Posts

What green is it exactly, Porsche Racing Green Metallic or Malachite Green Metallic?

Dark green was Ferry Porsche's favorite color.

Samuel
Old 09-22-2008, 02:23 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

Very nice! Great color combination. I'm interested to see if there are any teething problems with the PDK.

Is the middle air intake a dummy or does it angle the air stream to the rear and laterally? Looks that way on the pics but can"t tell for sure. Hope to see one in the flesh soon.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

29th is sounding better every day! I am sneaking outta here no matter what.

And just ordered a Cayman S with PDK to give the system a shot -- and to see if a diehard shift-er-for-meself like me can be converted. I'm all in with Alex on the paddles, however... Someone should do an aftermarket PDK paddle setup -- ESPECIALLY if the GTs come with the buttons. Let's see: use a 6-speed steering wheel, then do some magic at the steering column? I suspect the parts would sell well....

pete
Old 09-22-2008, 05:50 PM
171mph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but when I want to change gears I really, really don't want to feel like I'm pushing a Vending machine's coin return trying to get my 25 cents back
best analogy yet
Old 09-22-2008, 08:09 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default PDK shift button

Got to test drive the Carrera S with PDK also yesterday. I like the everything on the PDK except the PDK shift button on the steering wheel. I just don't get it why Porsche would have to reinvent the shifting button with push to upshift and pull to downshift. The common paddle shifter/button with press or pull left for downshift and press of pull right for upshift are already proven and work fine. Maybe they offered the left and right button with the same function on the steering wheel to accommodate one armed driver?!?!?!?!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
29th is sounding better every day! I am sneaking outta here no matter what.

pete
Hehe!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:44 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Nice colour but maybe you could take a few steps back and get her from a nice angle against a neutral background...like that warehouse.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 171mph
best analogy yet
Hah... that's the first thing I could think of tho
Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Beautiful colours inside and out. Could do with some wood in there.

Quick Reply: Zkermit MKII... this time PDK