Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Serious Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 PM
MAB Badgerbimmer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Serious Question

I am now having second thoughts regarding my automotive path. I currently have a very modified E46 M3 (intake, headers, cats, exhaust, pullies, software, every piece of the suspension, brakes, roll bar, seats, harnesses), it is a great track car. My intention is to add a PDK GT3 when they become available. I do not intend to sell the M3. I will then have two cars essentially dedicated to the track(5 to 6 events per year, likely more when the work thing gets hung up). Would it make more sense to go soft and go with a 997Cs cab for fun tooling around? Or is the GT3 such a WOW that I will not regret the GT3 route. Keeping in mind that 4/5 years down the line I could go with the next gen GT3 or go used 997 GT3 w/PDK.

As you are the GT3 "pros" I would value your thoughts.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Carefree
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my GT3......
Last year I tracked my M3 and got hooked on track days. The year before that I had my 911 twin turbo, but could never bring myself to tracking it. Now that I have a GT3 I might never go back to a what I loved about the M3.
The GT3 is such a great track car, so much feedback and when I drive it on the street, there is def. a WOW factor!
My 2 cents.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:35 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved my BMWs but lust for my GT3. Tracking both would be so different that I would think you need to make a choice for one or the other. I picked the GT3 without a single regret.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:02 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,812 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
I loved my BMWs but lust for my GT3. Tracking both would be so different that I would think you need to make a choice for one or the other. I picked the GT3 without a single regret.
i had GT3, tracked it.
decided to save money, bought e36m3, really build it out.
compared to GT3, it's like a tricycle vs a ducatti.
i sold it and lost more than ANY car i have ever purchased.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:41 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

5 to 6 events a year...don't know if I'd qualify that as dedicated...but the honest truth is that the gt3 is an overall awesome car.

main benefit of a 997 cab is that babes will be much more likely to service- as gt3 cause headaches for 98.9% of females. hence why you see such high activity on th3 997gt3 forum
Old 09-18-2008, 09:54 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

main benefit of a 997 cab is that babes will be much more likely to service- as gt3 cause headaches for 98.9% of females. hence why you see such high activity on th3 997gt3 forum
LOL
Old 09-18-2008, 03:45 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I came from a modified E46 M3 that I tracked consistently for the 4 years I owned it. It was the car I had my first DE in and was great all the way up the chain into the "Black" run group and an invitation to be an instructor. So I loved that M3! Then I went to a 997S to get a new platform figuring I'd pretty much "used up" the M3 platform. The 997S right out of the box was extremely fun and quicker around the track even at my first DE with it. That's saying a lot to go from a car I had 50,000 miles in and knew like the back of my hand into a totally new car (first Porsche) and beat my old lap times on street tires and pads.

All the way up to say 7/10ths, both cars are comparable - very capable and quick. When the M3 was at 10/10ths for me, I'd say it was equivalent to about 8/10ths in the Porsche. The Porsche has much more to give, but it's at a very high level of driving. The GT3 is yet another level above the 997S, but again, it takes a lot of skill to extract it from the car.

Only you can decide...
Old 09-18-2008, 07:56 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I also ran a modified e46 m3. it evolved over 5 years as I got faster becoming more track and less street friendly. As comfortable as i was with that car, the GT3 was perfection since driving it out of Zuffenhausen. This car feels like more of an extension of my arms and legs than a driver pushing an object around a track. and as good as it is on track, you can still drive it to work or around town without the suspension killing you. the m3 will be redundant. just drive a GT3 or even a Carrera S and you won't look back.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:16 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

do not get two "track/street" cars, either go full street or full track/trailer with your next purchase.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 PM
MAB Badgerbimmer
Advanced

[QUOTE=C.J. Ichiban;5819034]5 to 6 events a year...don't know if I'd qualify that as dedicated...but the honest truth is that the gt3 is an overall awesome car.

Unfortunately I actually work for a living and most track days in this area with the BMW and Porsche clubs are on week days. I also instruct for both the BMW club and the Porsche club.

I will say the only Porsches on a track that are ever faster than me are the GT3s and the cups. Although, ironically, most GT3s aren't "driven" faster and run higher lap times, it seems like most owners don't drive them to hard or are new to the track scene.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:09 PM
MAB Badgerbimmer
Advanced

When the PDK Cs' hit the dealers I will give one a try, keeping in mind that the GT3 is a whole other level. I have time to consider this as it sounds like the face lifted GT3 is 6 to 12 moths off.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:55 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

[QUOTE=MAB Badgerbimmer;5822359]
Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
5 to 6 events a year...don't know if I'd qualify that as dedicated...but the honest truth is that the gt3 is an overall awesome car.

Unfortunately I actually work for a living and most track days in this area with the BMW and Porsche clubs are on week days. I also instruct for both the BMW club and the Porsche club.

I will say the only Porsches on a track that are ever faster than me are the GT3s and the cups. Although, ironically, most GT3s aren't "driven" faster and run higher lap times, it seems like most owners don't drive them to hard or are new to the track scene.
I have both. A prepped to the MAX and well set up E46M3 will run with a lightly modded, ie Motons and toe links, 996GT3. I get flames for saying this but I have both cars and have done back to back testing. The M3 will eat the GT3 in the corners but the GT3 will pull on the straights. (At Roebling Road tha M3 will run low 1:20's and the GT3 will run 1:19's, both cars on Yokohama Advan AD07's street tires) The M3 will be easier to drive close to 100% than the GT3. I think that the fun part of the GT3 is in getting the last 10% is very rewarding.

The one plus for the M3 is I don't feel like I am betting the bank if I ball it up vs the GT3. The bad part is I have close to the same amount of money in each car, the M3 is on its 2nd engine.

Peter

Last edited by 85Gold; 09-19-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Add Content
Old 09-19-2008, 06:22 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MAB Badgerbimmer
When the PDK Cs' hit the dealers I will give one a try, keeping in mind that the GT3 is a whole other level. I have time to consider this as it sounds like the face lifted GT3 is 6 to 12 moths off.
just curious about why you want PDK so much versus OG manual? are you coming from SMG M3? or you just like the technology?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I've also had an E46 M3. It is a great car on the street and track. I sold it to build a 964 that I thought would quench my thirst for a fast track Porsche. Long and expensive story short, I'm buying a GT3.

You know what you need to do...
Old 09-20-2008, 04:20 PM
MAB Badgerbimmer
Advanced

Originally Posted by carrering
just curious about why you want PDK so much versus OG manual? are you coming from SMG M3? or you just like the technology?
In order to have a manual I need the SMG or PDK. Physical limitation.

Quick Reply: Serious Question