Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:15 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by MAB Badgerbimmer

Unfortunately I actually work for a living and most track days in this area with the BMW and Porsche clubs are on week days. I also instruct for both the BMW club and the Porsche club.

I will say the only Porsches on a track that are ever faster than me are the GT3s and the cups. Although, ironically, most GT3s aren't "driven" faster and run higher lap times, it seems like most owners don't drive them to hard or are new to the track scene.
my point wasn't to flame it's just that if the car is driving for 10 days on the track and 355 days on the street- it's a street car in my eyes, it's your cash and you're doing whatever you want with it.

Along with some of the others my point was that when you get really dedicated to tracking- it comes to a point when you either track a street car til it's a pain in the *** and devalued (or take a huge risk on devaluing it), or you buy a 100% track only car.

I couldn't decide between those two options so I got both.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:54 AM
MAB Badgerbimmer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The M3 is driven to and from the track and to and from the golf course, that's it. I have other daily drivers. A GT3 really couldn't even be the go to the golf course car, I don't keep the clubs at the club, unless its just me with the clubs in the passenger seat. To me the point of a car like a GT3 is the track. The fun is driving it to its potential, which can only be done on the track. It seems that using it elsewhere is just piling on pointless miles, hence a "track" car.

Which goes back to the question - is it that much better, faster, more fun then a highly mod'ed M3. I was just curious as to the thoughts here on the value proposition of a GT3.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:36 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

the highly modded M3 seems like enough car and enough convenience if you've already got a stable of other rides- the gt3 will seep into your blood and force you to track incessantly once you do it one or two times
Old 09-21-2008, 09:58 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The M3 is driven to and from the track and to and from the golf course, that's it. I have other daily drivers. A GT3 really couldn't even be the go to the golf course car, I don't keep the clubs at the club, unless its just me with the clubs in the passenger seat. To me the point of a car like a GT3 is the track. The fun is driving it to its potential, which can only be done on the track. It seems that using it elsewhere is just piling on pointless miles, hence a "track" car.

Which goes back to the question - is it that much better, faster, more fun then a highly mod'ed M3. I was just curious as to the thoughts here on the value proposition of a GT3.
Speaking for myself;

Once I started seriously tracking I wondered why I spent so many hours over so many years waiting to hit the next shot!

Six hours with transit time and warm-up to play a round of golf. One 20 min session in a car like a GT-3 or faster and there is much more concentration, adrenaline and release/relaxation than a 36-hole day at the golf course.

So for me anyway; who gives a rat's behind (again, Cambodian rat) where the clubs go?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:09 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Given physical limitations I would wait for the PDK GT3. I have a contact who writes for a major auto, not the comic books like C&D or R&T but a well respected auto mag and he has driven the new PDK. He says its the next order of magnitude of development in automotive engineering. No disrespect but I dont see how a M3 can out corner a GT3 given the physics of it. Lower, and especially on corner exit. The porsche has the traction in the rear and on corner exit the GT3 would eat the M3.
BTW if you put your clubs in the front seat not only can you go to the golf course but they will valet your car to the front row. I played in a tournament at Valencia country club and went in my GT3 and they put it up in the front of the Club.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:25 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Given physical limitations I would wait for the PDK GT3. I have a contact who writes for a major auto, not the comic books like C&D or R&T but a well respected auto mag and he has driven the new PDK. He says its the next order of magnitude of development in automotive engineering. No disrespect but I dont see how a M3 can out corner a GT3 given the physics of it. Lower, and especially on corner exit. The porsche has the traction in the rear and on corner exit the GT3 would eat the M3.
BTW if you put your clubs in the front seat not only can you go to the golf course but they will valet your car to the front row. I played in a tournament at Valencia country club and went in my GT3 and they put it up in the front of the Club.
Depends on the M3

Peter
Old 09-22-2008, 12:37 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

peter I think you mean it depends on the DROVER lol

allegretto- we must drink our kool-aid from the same source. I'm with you 100000%
Old 09-24-2008, 01:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,813 Likes on 2,382 Posts

that's b/c you are a wimp.
my RS sits in east oakland, east palo alto, east LA (these are areas ppl buy/sell drugs and carry guns like chocolate.... why was i there again..... ), i haul road bike in it, i take my daughter to daycare in it. i drink coffee and eat pizza in it. buy donuts at 5am. track the living day light out of it. i stuff my sister in the back where there's a roll bar and drove her 30 miles since my 3 yr old was in front seat.....

you just need to have a vision of what the car can do....

yes, i have many other daily drivers, but i just park them on the street collecting dust. i use my DD only to haul my tires, which seems to be a daily chore mounting and dismounting 5 sets of wheels/tires.

i have had e30m3, e36m3, e46m3. they are all great cars. but they should NEVER be mentioned in the same context of GT3. let me put it this way, i give you 100k in cash, would you buy e92m3 or 997gt3?

btw, after having 6 GT3's i FINALLY am convinced they are no good on track, they are street cars. i rode in a race car this weekend. OMG, i have been driving a giant mattress with 4 wheels all these years.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:56 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by allegretto
Speaking for myself;

Once I started seriously tracking I wondered why I spent so many hours over so many years waiting to hit the next shot!

Six hours with transit time and warm-up to play a round of golf. One 20 min session in a car like a GT-3 or faster and there is much more concentration, adrenaline and release/relaxation than a 36-hole day at the golf course.

So for me anyway; who gives a rat's behind (again, Cambodian rat) where the clubs go?
yes, i quit golf too.
boring.
but i did flip the golf car many many times. once i ended up in the water hazard.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:04 AM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
btw, after having 6 GT3's i FINALLY am convinced they are no good on track, they are street cars. i rode in a race car this weekend. OMG, i have been driving a giant mattress with 4 wheels all these years.
Ha, ha...looks like we'll eventually see a Cup in the paddock. Do it Mooty! - you've been tracking street cars too long...
Old 09-24-2008, 02:17 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjb
Ha, ha...looks like we'll eventually see a Cup in the paddock. Do it Mooty! - you've been tracking street cars too long...
if you financed me at 0% over 100 years, i have a cup tomorrow.
maybe a cheaper race car. if there's such thing.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:19 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

[QUOTE=C.J. Ichiban;5831183]peter I think you mean it depends on the DROVER lol

C.J.

LOL +1. It definantly depends on the DROVER, which I am not. Ian Stewart who drives my Race Car at the SCCA National level is who I talk about when I do a comparison.

Peter
Old 09-24-2008, 03:24 PM
RS 197
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

Well said...

You should see the look on the GT3 guy's faces in the paddock after a whipped out old 993 Cup car goes around them like they were standing still....
They come over shaking their head...

No substitute for weight on the track... Street cars are made for the street.. Gt3 M3... If they drive on the street they are slow on the track...
Not to say that they are not a ton of fun on the track.. Just don't ever drive a race car... You will be ruined for ever....

Quick Reply: Serious Question