Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

For those who have driven one...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those who have driven one...

Is a GT2 more like a GT3/RS or a TT?

Strange times;

Right now a GT2 @ MSRP, an RS and a TT-Cab are all available (so is a DROP DEAD A-M DB9 Volante, what a Beauty!!! (hubba hubba)). I have driven the latter two and a TT Coupe too. But never a GT-2.

So which car is it most like? And don't cop out with the, " it has its own personality". I know that, but I'm looking for the closest example.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2008, 08:42 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

The GT2 is more like the TT. I have a TT cab that I use as my daily driver and I have an RS. I only drove the GT2 for 5 miles but I thought it much closer to the TT than the RS.

To RS is raw, its loud, its stiff...its perfect for me.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:12 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

the one area that the GT3 has a huge edge - it sounds way better than the turbo cars...and for me that's enough
Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

New issue of Top Gear Magazine compares the 3 cars. Synopsis of writers results: GT3 is "the one". 997TT "ultimate driving machine", loved the grip etc... GT2 Blazing speed....faster than the mind can comprehend....
I just breezed thru it in Borders.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:47 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Oddly enough, me being a GT2 owner go for the RS...

If my GT2 weren't heavily modified by RUF, didn't feel and sound NA/exotic like, I can guarantee I would have sold it a long time ago, but it's kept me content because now it truly feels like that turbo/more powerful GT3 it's suppose to be...

997 GT2 out of the box just wont cut it, fun factor and thrill wise as a GT3/RS IMO, most of the reason is the sound that attributes to "rawness" but they still feel a bit different.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:05 AM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The GT3RS has to be "the one".
Old 09-07-2008, 12:08 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

If you go for the RS...the sharkwerks bypass is a must!!! Lets put it this way, the RS is the first car I have ever purchased a cover for.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:42 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RS is also at MSRP???

My favorite is the RS. Just strip some weight off of it and get i down to about 2,900 lbs. Then do a 3.8 conversion and get it up to about 470 to 480 hp and also some suspension trickery and maybe brakes, although the PCCB's are fine in my book. Then you have a real machine.

Or leave it totally stock, besides Sharky's bypass and set off cloth 996 Recros and you are all set............

The tt is a girle car. They made the 997 version way too soft and easy to drive.

The GT2 must be closer to the GT3, but very pricey for another 105 hp and turbo lag

Last edited by 340Elise; 09-07-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Fixed the 3.8 HP values
Old 09-07-2008, 11:32 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Read the latest Excellence magazine - they compared a stock GT2 with a heavily modified RS...
Old 09-07-2008, 01:08 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
The RS is also at MSRP???

Then do a 3.8 conversion and get it up to about 370 to 380 hp and also some suspension trickery and maybe brakes, although the PCCB's are fine in my book.
380 hp? huh? my car made 379 RWhp stock- I think you mean 450hp?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:50 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RonCT
Read the latest Excellence magazine - they compared a stock GT2 with a heavily modified RS...
Don't have it here. What did they conclude?

I already have a bytchen track car (avatar) so raw performance isn't the most critical criteria and all these cars are fast enough to amuse me.

The TT-Cab would be a great partial DD in the warm weather. Drive it,park it,whatever.

The RS is an icon, and likely the most collectable 911 since the 70's with the possible exception of a very clean 3.6 964 T (not TT). Drive on Sundays

The GT2? well just the fastest 911 ever, and possibly ever to be. Drive it where ever.

Aston? Pure SEX on a cashmere blanket. Weekender for sure.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:05 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Default my two cents

i have had both. i bot a gt2 @ msrp. not long ago, call it 3 weeks. car lasted about 8 days in my warehouse. its a really slick car. really fast. lots of jump, crazy torque. scooches around turns smooth and tight. the adaptive seats were great.

but i didnt dig it. at all. i quickly came to realize that i had a 200k car that i didnt love, its a depreciating asset, and if im gonna have 200k wrapped up in a car, its gonna be in an RS. i traded my GT2 with 100ish miles, perfect, to Paul Miller for their White RS. u can see that on my photo page at www.911flatnose.com

i personally found the GT2 very much like the TT. ive never been a torque or speed demon. i dont track cars though have been and will be going again shortly for a PM day a Monticello. i like a car with pop and the RS has plenty.

but there are a few areas where i think the RS has the GT2 beat cold. The handling in the RS is more fun to me. more electric. more alive. tighter handling. a 'sports car'. the growl is intoxicating. at times i kind of think i'd like more, like the ferrari stradale kind of thing, but sometimes thats over the top. at certain rpms, certain situations, that RS growls heavy and its great but not overbearing. the GT2 was far more refined and toned down. I would say that if i can talk on my cell phone in the car, its not for me.

The style and aesthetics of the RS have the GT2 , in my opinion, beat as well, though frankly the Gt2 is an animal. they are without a doubt, the two nicest looking nasty beasts on the street.

i dont know, im just enamored with that RS. i was not sure if i wanted a gt2 for along time. and they were like 50, 40, 30 over. then yeah, one came available, local, for MSRP. Geez, whens the last time that was the case? i thought i was getting a deal. as i debated what to do, i realized more were available at sticker. i referred those cars to a few guys up here. bot mine. drove it a few days. bang....hopped up 997TT, not for me. Worked the deal with Paul Miller and was out of it the next day.
If a trade is bad, you exit it quit if you can do so without taking too big a nick.

thats my opinion. on the other hand, for another, the RS might be too sketchy, too choppy, too loud, and not refined enough. if you need to drive 2 hours to a meeting, and want cell phone talkability, or want to nicely take wifey to dinner, while having something is fasted as greased lightning...then a gt2 could be the ticket.

to each is ones' own. i just wanted to share my experience. a gt2 at sticker right now is not a tough thing to find. they are out there.
a gt3RS at sticker, right now, doenst exist unless it has 4,5,10k miles on it and its black or silver. the market on the RS i think is about 15 to 25 for the best cars. lesser for the lesser wanted colors (which fyi, are my favorite).

good luck. anyquesitons, u can PM me.
fyi, on those GT2s, also look for the carbon folding racing seats. there are a few with them. they were, i was told, a check box option, no price increase. supposedly those are collecting a higher premium than the adaptive seats.
supposedly.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:07 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

oh yeah, the #1 thing i dindt like about the GT2, or better stated, LOVE about the GT3/GT3RS is the high RPms. there is osmething about being able to go all the way up to 8k.....VROOOOM versus VROOOOOOOOOOOOM....this one goes to 11 !!! me needs more RPMS

Originally Posted by spg993tt
i have had both. i bot a gt2 @ msrp. not long ago, call it 3 weeks. car lasted about 8 days in my warehouse. its a really slick car. really fast. lots of jump, crazy torque. scooches around turns smooth and tight. the adaptive seats were great.

but i didnt dig it. at all. i quickly came to realize that i had a 200k car that i didnt love, its a depreciating asset, and if im gonna have 200k wrapped up in a car, its gonna be in an RS. i traded my GT2 with 100ish miles, perfect, to Paul Miller for their White RS. u can see that on my photo page at www.911flatnose.com

i personally found the GT2 very much like the TT. ive never been a torque or speed demon. i dont track cars though have been and will be going again shortly for a PM day a Monticello. i like a car with pop and the RS has plenty.

but there are a few areas where i think the RS has the GT2 beat cold. The handling in the RS is more fun to me. more electric. more alive. tighter handling. a 'sports car'. the growl is intoxicating. at times i kind of think i'd like more, like the ferrari stradale kind of thing, but sometimes thats over the top. at certain rpms, certain situations, that RS growls heavy and its great but not overbearing. the GT2 was far more refined and toned down. I would say that if i can talk on my cell phone in the car, its not for me.

The style and aesthetics of the RS have the GT2 , in my opinion, beat as well, though frankly the Gt2 is an animal. they are without a doubt, the two nicest looking nasty beasts on the street.

i dont know, im just enamored with that RS. i was not sure if i wanted a gt2 for along time. and they were like 50, 40, 30 over. then yeah, one came available, local, for MSRP. Geez, whens the last time that was the case? i thought i was getting a deal. as i debated what to do, i realized more were available at sticker. i referred those cars to a few guys up here. bot mine. drove it a few days. bang....hopped up 997TT, not for me. Worked the deal with Paul Miller and was out of it the next day.
If a trade is bad, you exit it quit if you can do so without taking too big a nick.

thats my opinion. on the other hand, for another, the RS might be too sketchy, too choppy, too loud, and not refined enough. if you need to drive 2 hours to a meeting, and want cell phone talkability, or want to nicely take wifey to dinner, while having something is fasted as greased lightning...then a gt2 could be the ticket.

to each is ones' own. i just wanted to share my experience. a gt2 at sticker right now is not a tough thing to find. they are out there.
a gt3RS at sticker, right now, doenst exist unless it has 4,5,10k miles on it and its black or silver. the market on the RS i think is about 15 to 25 for the best cars. lesser for the lesser wanted colors (which fyi, are my favorite).

good luck. anyquesitons, u can PM me.
fyi, on those GT2s, also look for the carbon folding racing seats. there are a few with them. they were, i was told, a check box option, no price increase. supposedly those are collecting a higher premium than the adaptive seats.
supposedly.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:10 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
380 hp? huh? my car made 379 RWhp stock- I think you mean 450hp?
swap those 3's with 4's (I already fixed it). I still have a hard time believing I drive a 425 + hp car with potential for near 500 with a 3.8 or 3.9 conversion!!!

Originally Posted by spg993tt
oh yeah, the #1 thing i dindt like about the GT2, or better stated, LOVE about the GT3/GT3RS is the high RPms. there is osmething about being able to go all the way up to 8k.....VROOOOM versus VROOOOOOOOOOOOM....this one goes to 11 !!! me needs more RPMS
The rpm is an excellent argument, and one that is often overlooked. That is what I also hated about the turbo is that it went to 6800 or 7200 rpm while the GT3 goes to 8400. An NA motor done the right way in a lightened chassis is the way too go in my book. But I am sure the GT2 would be a blast when it is pushing you back in your seat, and of course it also has the same handling capabilities as the RS, as stated in Excellence Magazine (which does not surprise me). But for almost twice the cost what I paid for my regular GT3, sorry, but I cannot justify that (also cannot afford it).
Old 09-07-2008, 09:43 PM
redpackage
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tracked both a TT and the GT3RS. Compared to my CGT, the RS was terrific but a little like driving in slow motion compared to the CGT at the track. Since I've retired the CGT I ws looking for something to give a little more excitement to my track days and I think the GT2 will do that once the suspension gets sorted out. Power is great, turbo lag is much less than my former TT but obviously more than the RS, brakes are unflinching, stock sound in the RS is better (in sport mode), and the stock GT2 seats are the best Porsche has ever shipped. Now about the suspension...

Quick Reply: For those who have driven one...