Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

For those who have driven one...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:59 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 610 Posts

Oh, and please don't take my post as slamming the GT3/RS. It's still the better value, better looking, and a great car. I just like driving the GT2 more, and I think the damping and roll center tweaks have a lot to do with it.

Makes me wonder what a 997 GT3 with better dampers might be like... My guess is we'll find out soon.

pete
Old 09-10-2008, 02:36 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
And in overall comfort it really feels slightly firmer than a TT, at street speeds that is...
Yep. Funny thing is I don't think it would be too stiff for a Turbo owner. Yet it has the control and roll stiffness/lack of dive under braking/and lack of squat under acceleration GT3 types crave.

It really is good...

pete
Old 09-10-2008, 03:40 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
getting 500 hp from a gt3 engine...well that's funny just to picture on so many levels
True - the 3.8L RSR motors I have put out 500hp without restrictors, 445hp with, built by PMNA for ALMS (2005-2006). The 3.6 RSR motor (circa 2004) in my cup puts out around 440hp.

Photos: in car - 3.8 L RSR; standalone - 3.6 RSR
Attached Images    

Last edited by thusly; 09-10-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:59 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thusly
True - the 3.8L RSR motors I have put out 500hp without restrictors, 445hp with, built by PMNA for ALMS. The 3.6 RSR motor in my cup puts out around 440hp.
And the service interval is...?

RSR 3.8s without restrictors? Yum!

pete
Old 09-10-2008, 05:29 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by excmag

pete
35-40 hours, particularly when driven by pros (Long, Bergmeister). Longer for mortals like me
Old 09-10-2008, 05:38 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

pete
exactly my point. it's easy to get carried away but the bottom line is that for a street car in street car trim, and is actually driven- on the street... every NA powerplant hits a wall eventually. I bought my car as a road car, which spends a lot of it's life on the track. everyone who buys their car can do whatever they want with it.

When I feel like using an extra 40-50 hp at the track on top of my RS's stock engine, I'll probably just jump in a real cup car or RSR and go real racing- for track days, it's fairly pointless...maybe that's just a backlash against the "over-modifying" of cars at our local track. Maybe it's because I want to actually grow out of DE, track days, Club racing, etc and do endurance racing on a pro level, and feel like all their mods make them worse drivers? Keeping my car relatively stock (different alignment pieces and settings is it) and finding the limit of street tires has made me a lot better driver.

guys are running gt2s with 500+ hp, motons, and hoosier slicks (not R6) or michelin slicks (like cup cars), or GT3s with cup car centerlock wheels, slicks, motons, etc and it just cracks me up- but it's more fun and slightly more challenging to chase them with way less car, so I can't really complain too much about it.

apologize to all for another track rant.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:41 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thusly
35-40 hours, particularly when driven by pros (Long, Bergmeister). Longer for mortals like me
I'm guessing I'd be on your interval, or a longer one!

And the cost these days?

pete
Old 09-10-2008, 05:56 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

cost of rebuilding a 997 cup engine? don't forget the gearbox!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

I'm guessing I'd be on your interval, or a longer one!

And the cost these days?

pete
Haven't asked yet........ the one in the RSR currently has 18 hours. The crate motor does need the rebuild. I am guessing the cost is somewhere between $20 and 30K by PMNA. I think a new motor is around $100k.

As far over-modding street cars for track - I have done way more than I want to admit (TTs, GT-3s, GT-2s). Ironically, I am spending more time in my Specboxster, Miatas and Rotax's than in any of the modified Porsche street or race cars, as the competition is abundant and great fun and I can focus more on improving driving skills than who has the fastest car.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

FWIW there are currently 13 GT2's on Ebay!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:58 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by richk
FWIW there are currently 13 GT2's on Ebay!!!
Yep. Like the 996 GT2 and the Cayman, a rare Porsche MSRP-positioning blunder.

Difference with the 997 GT2 is, against other competition and what it would cost on the aftermarket to extract the car's performance goodness from another Porsche platform, the new 2 seems like a decent value.

Too bad the market doesn't seem to see it that way.

pete
Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
If you go for the RS...the sharkwerks bypass is a must!!! Lets put it this way, the RS is the first car I have ever purchased a cover for.
Cheers Rich we're having fun turning the sound up for you folks... I still haven't found a cover for mine But I still get a thrill every time I drive it. There's truly something special about the way it revs, feels (steering/braking)... The whole way it shifts/clicks and just fits me like a glove
Old 09-11-2008, 02:05 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete, my thanks!

Passed on the GT2.Gotta admit,I really wanted that bytch!!!

But my Babies are the issue. TT-Cab is the answer! BTW, a TT-Cab ain't exactly chopped liver...
Old 09-11-2008, 01:10 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Nope, no chopped liver there. At all.

I thought I would be even less excited about the Turbo Cab than I was the coupe, only to find I liked the way it handles better -- something about its added flex making the existing PASM work better if the engineers on hand could be believed in their statements about not doing much with the suspension tuning -- and the extra noise was nice, too. Gets back to execution. Just as I think the new GT2 is a better execution than the current GT3, so I feel about the Turbo Cab vs. the current Turbo coupe. To me, it's better at what it's trying to be and thus more satisfying in use.

I'd be sorely tempted to throw a set of H&R springs (I know, I know, but like your chassis shouldn't work, the H&Rs do) and forged magnesium 19s on that thing. Of course, non-VTG Turbos might appeal, and a lightened flywheel, and...

Enjoy!

pete
Old 09-11-2008, 02:00 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd be sorely tempted to throw a set of H&R springs (I know, I know, but like your chassis shouldn't work, the H&Rs do) and forged magnesium 19s on that thing. Of course, non-VTG Turbos might appeal, and a lightened flywheel, and...

Enjoy!

pete
Look at you... completely out of control

Quick Reply: For those who have driven one...