sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Who drives stock cars anyways? I don't know anybody like that

PS Got a chance to check out a GT-R yesterday. I still can't believe how um... LARGE it is.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by excmag
Personally, I think what you are feeling in the GT2 is good damping, not a setup that's too soft. Go ahead and push the car hard and then tell me similar it is to a 997 Turbo. It is not similar, at all.

GT3/RS damping has been my biggest complaint with that platform since its introduction. Mediocre or even poor damping in standard, worse in Sport, and PASM adjustments that are reactive not active. This is my opinion, but it is one that was backed up by a local suspension genius (who was blown away by how jiggly the ride was), a professional Porsche racer with a lengthy resume, and watching two good friends with back issues who can handle a sporting car's ride quality wince in pain over little bumps and ripples in the street at 25-35 mph. I know others will disagree, but I find the chassis too fidget for no appreciable gain. Remember too that the U.S. GT3 seats should be better than the new GT2 seats in terms of adding a bit of cushion.

I've driven cars with MUCH higher spring rates that ride far better than a stock 997 GT3. Heck, I've driven hoary old torsion-bar 911s with huge bars that ride better than the GT3 despite its massive advantage in terms of rear susp. design.

In contrast, GT2 damping seems very, very good to me, filtering out a lot of the ripples and bumps the GT3/RS fails to around town and on the freeway, and exhibiting absolutely superior body control on our demanding road test loop and at Infineon Raceway. And, unlike previous PASM setups, I found PASM's Sport setting useful out on our test loop. Initially, it felt too stiff, but then it seemed to dial in. Or maybe that was me. Either way, only on the roughest sections did I disengage it. Seems to me that is as it should be.

Johannes van Overbeek was stunned by the GT2's goodness around Infineon, and his lap times in the car. Never did he say it felt too soft (but he was, as I was, evaluating it as a street car....), he only noted, as I did, that the chassis was simply brilliant. As I wrote initially, I think only very few will ever understand how good the 997 GT2 really is. Few will own them, and fewer still (by a lot?) will drive them hard enough to know the brilliance. And then there will be a few who simply prefer NA power, period. I like either, so long as the rest of the car is good. In this case, the chassis of the GT2 makes it outshine the GT3/RS for me. I know others have had different experiences, and I have read these with keen interest.

But I dunno, when I read a lot of comments about how "raw" the RS is, and especially with re: to the ride/suspension, I think people are mistaking poor damper tuning for some sort of edge. Don't get me wrong: it's a fast car and I get (and love) raw. But there is a fine line between raw and rough. And, when it comes to suspension, poor damping makes you slower, not faster. The fast cars are always the ones where the wheels follow the road surface and the body stays relatively unperturbed.

I can see this on the freeway in various cars I've tested with damper tuning I didn't like. Watch an E39 5's wheels in their wells as it goes down the road, and its body. The wheels are constantly moving, the body isn't. RS4 is another interesting car to watch in this way. But, in a car with poor damping, the body moves up and down with the road, not the wheels. I used to watch a friend's early 997 GT3 bounce and jiggle all the way down Doyle by the Golden Gate Bridge on his morning commute. I could see it from across that "freeway." Surprisingly, I've seen the same in pro race cars. A White Lightning GT3 RSR that won Le Mans was super jiggly over the bumps up the hill to T1 at Infineon years ago. The fact the AJR and FLM 911s weren't seemed to indicate the Petersen car was still running Le Mans setup, or a poor one by comparison to the others. In any event, it looked like a handful -- though it may be they were sacrificing control there for stiffness elsewhere. But they were the only ones doing it.

This leads me to think that even the best can struggle with damper tuning, and that it is an art as much as it is a science. My perception is that the new GT2's damping is MILES ahead of the GT3's, and that its other suspension tweaks (which suggest Weissach saw real room for improvement, unlike in the 996 days) add up to a car you're more confident in. I usually go faster in those, feel safer in those, have more fun in those, and develop a better bond with those.

But this is just my take. As we have seen here, your results may vary!

And sorry for the long ol' post!

pete
Pete couldn't be more on the money, AT ALL...

Fact is, when I took delivery of my RUF GT2 from RUF auto center, I was expecting the worse, crazy stiff ride with the Motons and so on. Suffice to say, the car handled and gave me 10x more confidence and better, yet the ride was surprisingly GOOD, better then stock. Very advanced shocks/dampers and setups can have that feeling or appeal, its deceiving indeed , ever since I revalved and added cup components though it became back breaking, but I understand it gives a whole new feel to the car, which I agree makes the experience that much better.. A la RS!
Old 09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Who drives stock cars anyways? I don't know anybody like that

PS Got a chance to check out a GT-R yesterday. I still can't believe how um... LARGE it is.
correct on both accounts- so many people complain about handling characteristics that are more on the account of a bad stock setup or stuff we're going to change anyway- ride height, alignment, sway bar settings are all COMPLETELY ADJUSTABLE on the GT cars! meaning, you can do it yourself or have it done very quickly.

gtr is like a japanese benz CL amg.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:47 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Turbo Cab??!! Why stop there? How about a RS cab? or or a CAB CUP!!!

j/k

BTW you can buy a Lambo SL for 205K wouldnt that come into play if youre thinking about a GT2?

Last edited by OldGuy; 09-11-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:05 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Turbo Cab??!! Why stop there? How about a RS cab? or or a CAB CUP!!!

j/k

BTW you can buy a Lambo SL for 205K wouldnt that come into play if youre thinking about a GT2?

Sorry,I'll never buy enough gold chains and iced Rolex Presidents to own a Lambo properly.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:14 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
correct on both accounts- so many people complain about handling characteristics that are more on the account of a bad stock setup or stuff we're going to change anyway- ride height, alignment, sway bar settings are all COMPLETELY ADJUSTABLE on the GT cars! meaning, you can do it yourself or have it done very quickly.

gtr is like a japanese benz CL amg.
I really didn't like the 997TT out of the box. I felt like it was worse in so many ways than a 996TT out of the box... But the platform is still a good one and with some suspension tweaks it'll feel a lot, lot better. Proper coil overs for a start! Then there's the slippery slope with the power stuff...

The one thing I found odd was the way the seating is. At 5:10 there's no way I could fit with a helmet on.. Gulp!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:31 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

you've got to be kidding- I hated the stock 996TT but loved the 997 version...you must have either a really big *** or a long torso because at 6'2 I've got no issues with clearance in 997TT.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:10 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

you've got to be kidding- I hated the stock 996TT but loved the 997 version...you must have either a really big *** or a long torso because at 6'2 I've got no issues with clearance in 997TT.
No no... talking about thee GTR Look how low the roof-line is...

996TT's just din't wallow around as much (even if the stock suspension was still pretty poor but it was a couple of hundred pounds lighter too. Stock suspension in the 997tt is pretty scary at the best of times;(
Old 09-12-2008, 07:02 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
No no... talking about thee GTR Look how low the roof-line is...

996TT's just din't wallow around as much (even if the stock suspension was still pretty poor but it was a couple of hundred pounds lighter too. Stock suspension in the 997tt is pretty scary at the best of times;(

I have not driven the a 6 turbo, but after doing a back to back with my broken in 7 GT3 and a broken in 7 turbo; I did not like the turbo at all. The shifter, steering, clutch feel like my base Boxster, as does the suspension (in general). The car was fast, but it had turbo lag and was not linear at all. Power came on and threw you back, and the suspension was all over the place. Then you put it on sport and the throttle change is so much that it was kind of difficult to be smooth with the car. I was not impressed.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:02 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car dyno'd at 379 rwhp a few months ago- counting for driveline losses at 10% we're looking at 421 hp. (don't try and say it's 15% or 20%- this is the best street transmission P has ever sold) I've seen dyno ranges on the gt3 and RS from 371 rwhp to 379.6 which is plenty, but I've never seen a 385-390 whp.

let's not get too crazy and insist someone can get 60+ extra hp out of this car. 35, I'll believe (3.8L), but 60-70? crazy talk. that's an RSR engine with a redline @ 9200. most of the exhausts only add a few Tq or (6-8) HP in the midrange- I've yet to see one that increases peak hp. most actually screw up the backpressure needed, as sharky could tell you this is a tough car to tune for anything other than noise.

340 said 'can be easily modified to nearly 500hp' (single quote= paraphrase) to which I guessed that a 3.8kit would be worth 35ish extra hp over stock...guess I should change that to 40-45 but either way it's not 500hp...and from the looks of your conversion- I'm guessing none of that came cheap or easy!

getting 500 hp from a gt3 engine...well that's funny just to picture on so many levels
Yikes, you seem angry with me; sorry for my posts, I will try to refrain from posting "near 500 hp." in the future.

I'm very, very sorry sir; I'm such an idiot with my comments and I'm so easy to laugh at on so many levels.......

You are splitting hairs anyway. My original post mentioned 470 to 480 hp with a 3.8 or 3.9 conversion (that is the important part). To me that IS near 500 hp (big picture anyway); and I agree with you that an exhaust will not make this kind of power.

Don't forget that our cars actually make 425 hp at speed (ram air effect) at a bare minimum (must dyno at 415 without ram air or it does not pass for a GT car), but that is splitting hairs also. And your dynos seem to support the bare minimum part. Sharky's 3.8 conversion made around 45X hp with pump gas if I remember correctly from the article on his RS and the other two green ones. So with a 3.9 conversion (which might be in the works, who knows) and/or race gas mapping, then 470 to 480 seems fair, especially at speed. As for reliability: Alex, how is your RS doing so far?

As for the cost of the conversion, you might want to ask Alex; it might be less than you think. I bet the conversion combined with the cost of my 3 will come in at under $130K. That is a lot less than $190K (base) or $215K (pretty options) or $299K (rape) cost of a 997 GT2. Am I in trouble Alex?

The main point is that you can achieve the approximate power to weight of a GT2 with about a 40 hp increase (that seems very doable) and a decrease in weight to about 2,800 lbs (I know this can be done; I am well on my way and have not removed any carpeting or interior parts). I think this would turn the already fabulous 997 GT3 and RS into what I would consider a perfect compromise between a Cup car and our stock GT3's.

Think about it: 460 hp and 2,800 lbs...well that's FUN just to picture on so many levels!

Quick Reply: For those who have driven one...