Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

For those who have driven one...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 AM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad you guys brought up the RPM argument. I could never get used to the low RPM range on the TT. I guess you can add software to increase the range if you don't mind modding your car. The high RPM range on the GT3/RS is much more fun and manageable to drive.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:08 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

The GT2 is more like the TT bottom line...the RS is a very special car and the color schemes add to the fun!!!

I was offered the first GT2 in LA and I passed.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:48 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
swap those 3's with 4's (I already fixed it). I still have a hard time believing I drive a 425 + hp car with potential for near 500 with a 3.8 or 3.9 conversion!!!
my car dyno'd at 379 rwhp a few months ago- counting for driveline losses at 10% we're looking at 421 hp. (don't try and say it's 15% or 20%- this is the best street transmission P has ever sold) I've seen dyno ranges on the gt3 and RS from 371 rwhp to 379.6 which is plenty, but I've never seen a 385-390 whp.

let's not get too crazy and insist someone can get 60+ extra hp out of this car. 35, I'll believe (3.8L), but 60-70? crazy talk. that's an RSR engine with a redline @ 9200. most of the exhausts only add a few Tq or (6-8) HP in the midrange- I've yet to see one that increases peak hp. most actually screw up the backpressure needed, as sharky could tell you this is a tough car to tune for anything other than noise.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:40 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting annoyed at reading a lot of these comments, especially GT2 being a hopped up Turbo? How about the technology that went into it, much more so then the GT3 and RS, but this debate would just be stupid!

I can also say the GT3/RS is a hopped up Carrera, in which you guy's would say I sound ignorant?

Bottom line is, the GT2 isn't perfect from the factory, nor is the GT3/RS.. But for me personally if I had to have ONE stock of the 3, the GT3/RS would be it, if we had a chance to mod a few things? GT2!
Old 09-08-2008, 02:32 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

GT2 is being dismissed way too easily/quickly.

Driven hard, past its added layer of "refinement" over the RS, that "refinement" adds up to superior damping at speed. That, and the added torque/power/rear-end grip, creates a whole 'nuther level of performance and challenge. I am not a power junkie; I too like revs, and I like the GT3/RS aesthetics MUCH better than the new 2's, BUT after hundreds of spirited+ miles on the most challenging roads a GT2 is likely to meet and a track session plus JVO's lap times and feedback (I think he called it the best modern street 911 of any kind he's tried -- and he did not like the RS in similarly stock form), the GT2's performance parameters and brilliant stock setup cannot be ignored.

Along with the GT2's superior suspension geometry and damping (which will almost certainly be adapted in the next 3), the GT2's added power unlocks potential in the 911 platform that simply cannot be found in the GT3/RS. It's okay to prefer the 3s for all the reasons stated, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the new 2. I was underwhelmed on a quick drive in a friend's new GT2, then blown away after extensive time in the PCNA car. In the 996 era, I preferred GT3 to GT2. This time around, it's the other way around, and not because of speed per se, but because of the excellence of the new 2's execution. Sure, I'd like more noise, more revs, and better looks. But for driving alone, the new 2 is very, very good...

Now, as an addition to a Cup? Well, maybe that Turbo Cab ain't such a bad idea. Just don't get a Turbo coupe, okay?

pete
Old 09-08-2008, 02:33 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
I'm getting annoyed at reading a lot of these comments, especially GT2 being a hopped up Turbo? How about the technology that went into it, much more so then the GT3 and RS, but this debate would just be stupid!

I can also say the GT3/RS is a hopped up Carrera, in which you guy's would say I sound ignorant?

Bottom line is, the GT2 isn't perfect from the factory, nor is the GT3/RS.. But for me personally if I had to have ONE stock of the 3, the GT3/RS would be it, if we had a chance to mod a few things? GT2!
Exactly! Why can someone say a GT2 is alike TT GT Cruiser when geometry and every component in the suspension is exactly the same or even stiffer/better than in a GT3RS.

The only difference is the engine: Hardcore, noisy N/A high rev vs. refined humongous torque linear HP build. This is as good as Turbo engines get, but the truth is that Turbo cars still require better drivers to reach the full potential (N/A easier to drive at the limit).
Old 09-08-2008, 04:08 PM
intouch1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT2 is the meanest 911 by far. i have both a TT and a GT2. wheras i can fully exploit the potential of the TT, the GT2 scares me. it's an immensly powerful car and WAY faster than a 3 or 3RS.

when i ordered mine, carbon seats were standard and still are in europe/middle east. i believe it's the same for NA.

i fully understand the high rev of the 3 thats favoured by many.....however, drive a GT2 you will have a new understanding of grip and speed.....
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2008, 04:36 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with the recent GT-2 posts.

While I haven't had the privilege of driving the new GT-2 on a track, I have driven (and own) most of the others. The GT-2 is often easily dismissed for track purposes as it requires your full attention, concentration, commitment and touch when it comes to braking, accelerating and controlling/managing/balancing weight through corners. It rewards when done correctly and it is quite exciting (and rewarding) when you can put a fast lap together. Do it wrong and it can be quite "exciting"..... I would imagine the new GT-2 has controlled some of the more exciting aspects of the car (i.e. traction control), but hasn't "cured" all of its former characteristics.

The GT-3 is a far more controllable car and predictable car (as compared to the 2), and benefits greatly from its ability to use the high end of the rev range and carrying that momentum into the corners. That being said, doing consistently fast laps in a GT-3 seems less dramatic and effortless than in a GT-2, as the variances in braking and acceleration seem much more dramatic in the 2 than the 3. (BTW - I am far from an experienced track driver.)

In the end, the 2 and 3 are quite heavy compared to a dedicated track car (i.e. cup); going from a cup to either is a night and day comparison. The 2 and 3 feel like grandma's caddy after driving a cup.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:36 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by thusly
Agree with the recent GT-2 posts.

While I haven't had the privilege of driving the new GT-2 on a track, I have driven (and own) most of the others. The GT-2 is often easily dismissed for track purposes as it requires your full attention, concentration, commitment and touch when it comes to braking, accelerating and controlling/managing/balancing weight through corners. It rewards when done correctly and it is quite exciting (and rewarding) when you can put a fast lap together. Do it wrong and it can be quite "exciting"..... I would imagine the new GT-2 has controlled some of the more exciting aspects of the car (i.e. traction control), but hasn't "cured" all of its former characteristics.

The GT-3 is a far more controllable car and predictable car (as compared to the 2), and benefits greatly from its ability to use the high end of the rev range and carrying that momentum into the corners. That being said, doing consistently fast laps in a GT-3 seems less dramatic and effortless than in a GT-2, as the variances in braking and acceleration seem much more dramatic in the 2 than the 3. (BTW - I am far from an experienced track driver.)

In the end, the 2 and 3 are quite heavy compared to a dedicated track car (i.e. cup); going from a cup to either is a night and day comparison. The 2 and 3 feel like grandma's caddy after driving a cup.
Well, on certain levels I agree. But I've never driven a 2 so I cannot comment on that. But the RS,while not feeling like grandma's Caddy (c'mon!), does feel slow and detached compared to the Cup. But the comparison is unfair. The RS is street legal.

Anyway,went to the dealer today and saw the 2. Would have driven it, but its raining like hell here. It is beautiful. Lots of money. Not sure that it's 60K more than the RS, but at some point it is not about the money. Made them an offer. We'll see...

If not, it's a TT-Cab since this is a fun car. I can eschew the fun if it's for a one-of-a-kind like the 2. But I think I'd buy a TT-Cab over the RS if it's a street-only car.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:46 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Good thing its not about the money because historically GT2's depreciate very quickly...I am assuming you offered under sticker because you stated in the original post the car was offered at sticker.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:55 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
....The RS is street legal........
Owning, driving and transporting a cup is a true commitment. Hard to argue about a very capable track car that is streetable, and the RS does that with flying colors. The cup to RS comparison is night and day - hard to compensate for a 500-750 lb lighter car on slicks.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Owning, driving and transporting a cup is a true commitment. Hard to argue about a very capable track car that is streetable, and the RS does that with flying colors. The cup to RS comparison is night and day - hard to compensate for a 500-750 lb lighter car on slicks.
well it's easy to quantify, about 5-10 seconds per lap. lol
Old 09-09-2008, 01:44 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts
Default street car

Originally Posted by allegretto
Don't have it here. What did they conclude?

I already have a bytchen track car (avatar) so raw performance isn't the most critical criteria and all these cars are fast enough to amuse me.

The TT-Cab would be a great partial DD in the warm weather. Drive it,park it,whatever.

The RS is an icon, and likely the most collectable 911 since the 70's with the possible exception of a very clean 3.6 964 T (not TT). Drive on Sundays

The GT2? well just the fastest 911 ever, and possibly ever to be. Drive it where ever.

Aston? Pure SEX on a cashmere blanket. Weekender for sure.

IMHO
If i already had a cup car, then i most definilty would want a convertible street car for bombing around to get groceries etc....
Since you race a cup it would be nice to see you with another porsche opposed to an aston, i.e: 997 tt cabrio or 997carrera 4s cab as a daily driver, however it would be even cooler if you DD was a 997 RS! (with a custom licence plate frame that says "my other car is a CUP") LOL!

Remember what Steve McQueen drove as a DD in the intro of the movie "LeMans"?

RS by day, CUP on the weekends! A true porsche racer enthusist in my books!
That being said, i dont know your age or if you have another street car which would affect choice.

Seriously though, a rag top DD has its moments which are really nice.
A RS would be a great car if you didnt own a CUP and wished to do a little track for sport on the side while basking in the fun of RS ownership as a sole DD....

Sounds to me like you may have a little secret crush on the RS.... perhaps a little envy... hehehe...
Old 09-09-2008, 04:34 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
IMHO
If i already had a cup car, then i most definilty would want a convertible street car for bombing around to get groceries etc....
Since you race a cup it would be nice to see you with another porsche opposed to an aston, i.e: 997 tt cabrio or 997carrera 4s cab as a daily driver, however it would be even cooler if you DD was a 997 RS! (with a custom licence plate frame that says "my other car is a CUP") LOL!

Remember what Steve McQueen drove as a DD in the intro of the movie "LeMans"?

RS by day, CUP on the weekends! A true porsche racer enthusist in my books!
That being said, i dont know your age or if you have another street car which would affect choice.

Seriously though, a rag top DD has its moments which are really nice.
A RS would be a great car if you didnt own a CUP and wished to do a little track for sport on the side while basking in the fun of RS ownership as a sole DD....

Sounds to me like you may have a little secret crush on the RS.... perhaps a little envy... hehehe...
Oh, no secret! I do. And there is a part of me that wants the RS/Cup scenario. I also have an E320 BLUTEC for driving to work, so there is "auxiliary" transportation available.But if I do that, then I don't have a fun car that I can take the twins in. They love riding with daddy in the convertible (currently an M3,which is a nice car, but...)

Originally Posted by richk
Good thing its not about the money because historically GT2's depreciate very quickly...I am assuming you offered under sticker because you stated in the original post the car was offered at sticker.

And you're so right. It's never not about the money and future value is a bit of a question. The RS is likely far more depreciation-proof. TT-Cabs are plentiful with very low miles and also pre-depreciated.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:59 AM
sws1
Pro

I drove a 250lb friend in my GT3 and I thought there was something broken in the engine.

Can't imagine 750lbs the other way.

Quick Reply: For those who have driven one...